If a song I wrote consists of these chords for the verses:
E G D A a solo within an E scale would be good for the intro?

then in the chorus has these chords:
C G D Am a solo within a C scale would be best?
Wait so are you saying there's a key change for the chorus? Or are you trying to keep it all in C/Am?

EDIT: Well, it would have to all be in C, because if your trying to keep it in the same key for the verse/intro, it wouldn't be E, because G and D aren't in the key of E major, got it?
Last edited by rockon1824 at Jun 3, 2006,
intro - E minor works, not E major
chorus - C major fits, but not really for the D (I assume you mean it's major), because C major contains D minor, maybe someone can help both you/me out on that one.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
I got you rockon, I am going to do some research on theory. I just started playing and haven't touched on it yet, just thought what I had would be correct, but I now know what you are talking about. When you start a song, usually you try and keep the whole song in the key that the first note is played in? is that right? To me those chords sounded ok together, but I know this is a question I need to do a search on, there is a lot of info on it. thanks.
Quote by j_db69
I got you rockon, I am going to do some research on theory. I just started playing and haven't touched on it yet, just thought what I had would be correct, but I now know what you are talking about. When you start a song, usually you try and keep the whole song in the key that the first note is played in? is that right? To me those chords sounded ok together, but I know this is a question I need to do a search on, there is a lot of info on it. thanks.

It's not always in the key of the chord it starts on, but it usually is. Just because it doesn't go perfect with theory doesn't mean it doesn't sound good however.

Read some of the theory lessons on UG, that should help.