Page 2 of 5
Quote by Dylar
What amazes me about this band is the way its fanboys seem to believe that what they're doing is new. Wake me up when they get their shit organized enough to stand up against Frost or any of the recent Averse Sefira material. Until then, I'll continue to file them in the mental delete bin with Fleurety, Ved Buens Ende, Solefald and the rest of the bands who failed to make this shit interesting a decade ago.

I know! How dare they like a band!
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
By Frost are you referring to the Enslaved album?
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Fas is one of the better albums to be had, in my opinion.

They make for very interesting listening.
Fas and Chaining The Katechon are pretty new/original...the only dudes to do anything similar that I know of before Deathspell were Blut aus Nord. Fas and Chaining the Kathechon are my favourite black metal records. Utterly breathtaking.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

Sure, they seem new if you haven't heard the dozens of other black metal bands playing at the same abrasive rhythm/dissonant harmony game, but for the experienced listener, it's just another incoherent attempt at a known style.
Quote by Dylar
Sure, they seem new if you haven't heard the dozens of other black metal bands playing at the same abrasive rhythm/dissonant harmony game, but for the experienced listener, it's just another incoherent attempt at a known style.

write better songs
Quote by technicolour
write better songs

Say better things
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by i have to pee
Name sounds like a Final Fantasy tribute band. Haven't heard them and I don't like black metal so I probably never will.

I kind of like them now you've said that.

Also, what's with the myspace page hate?
because you want to be the only one to know them? how cool and alternative.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by technicolour
write better songs

Better songs in the same style already exist. The recent output from Averse Sefira, for instance, operates in the same basic style, but with coherence DSO lacks. A decade ago it was Demoncy. Before that, albums like Frost and Impaled Nazarene's Ugra Karma had already explored much of what was possible within this particular stylistic context. Mid-period Beherit is basically the same thing, but presented using techniques more familiar to ambient and electronic artists.
Quote by Dylar

Perhaps the incoherence is what makes it special for some people. Although I am not pretending I have heard any of the other stuff you have mentioned, apart from the stuff from Frost, which I am listening to now. I'm not sure what you're getting at when you say DsO is similar to it.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

Check your profile Dylar, I'd like to battle your elitism! Granted it is ultimately futile, I'm bored and have nothing better to do.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by Dylar
Better songs in the same style already exist. The recent output from Averse Sefira, for instance, operates in the same basic style, but with coherence DSO lacks. A decade ago it was Demoncy. Before that, albums like Frost and Impaled Nazarene's Ugra Karma had already explored much of what was possible within this particular stylistic context. Mid-period Beherit is basically the same thing, but presented using techniques more familiar to ambient and electronic artists.

I just listened to a few tracks from that Impaled Nazarene album and an Averse Sefira track and, to be honest, beyond the fact that they're all in the relm of black metal I don't hear a huge amount of similarity, the incoherence and use of more dissonance is what makes things like DsO different.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yep, I still think it's one of a kind.

The worst thing about DSO is that you never seem to know when a new album is comming until it's released. There's just no way of getting news from this band.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Season of Mist is proud to welcome kult French black metallers DEATHSPELL OMEGA to the North American roster! On next November 9, the mysterious, meta-physical, black metal omega lords will unleash their fifth album, "Paracletus".

Initially emitting raw, traditional black metal, this enigmatic entity experimented and evolved into a more technical, eviscerating evil. Outside of the music, very little is known about its member's beliefs and ideology. What is certain however is the return of the most revered kult band in the world!

More details on the album soon ...

Just came across this. I'm extremely excited for a new album.
Quote by duncang
Say better things

I have listened to Enslaved's Ruun, and didn't see much of a comparison. Or have Enslaved changed their sound since Frost?

Fas, in particular, has a more choatic vibe in the dissonance - it feels more "untamed" to me. Where Enslaved have a more cohesive song progression, Deathspell have a more jitterly design, switching between vury fast, slow, mid-tempo, and almost silent.
^...Really? Are you... serious?

Frost is utterly different from Ruun... Hell, Frost and Vikingligr Veldi are both very different from most of Enslaved's discography...
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
The only thing I've listened to by Enslaved is Ruun, and I may have heard a couple songs off of vertebrae...that's why I was asking...
Ah... Well... Vertebrae is their weakest, in my mind. Ruun is good, but not as good as VV or Frost or Eld... Or Isa... [actually, I could list all their albums here except Vertebrae... ]

But yeah. On topic? DsO... not such a fan...
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
well then everything I just said may be very inaccurate - woops.

But I still enjoy DsO. I need to sit down with Fas and follow along with the lyrics.
Outside of the music, very little is known about its member's beliefs and ideology.

What numpty wrote this?
a much overdue visit to my old stomping grounds and i see such an epic thread resurrection. very well done, boys. i see this place is still alive and well in music taste.
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
More like a work of Pretention and Attempting To Be Atmospheric. Kenose is still as good as they ever got as far as I'm concerned.
Pretention? Maybe. I can only go as to how that album made me feel. Kept finding new elements of the songs each time I listened. I loved the atmosphere, and musically I just found it so interesting.

That being said, I also love Kenose. A much thinner, rawer sound, but I still love it.

edit: new artwork looks pretty cool
Last edited by BR00TAL at Sep 6, 2010,
Depth of sound is all well and good, but if it doesn't actually take you somewhere, what's the point? It's still just a very fancy sonic screensaver.
Fas is one the best albums i've ever heard,the songwriting is just immense. And it has an atmosphere like no other.It really blows just about any other black metal (as far detached as it's starting to get from that style) album out of the water in terms of musical power and creativity.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by Dylar
You want to believe it's taking you there, but that's your projection, not reality.

So I'm fooling myself into thinking I like it?
obviously man,you should go check out the Anus site so you can learn what you should really be looking for in music, and what your opinions should be based on.Because music has no subjectivity at all
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Downloaded mass grave architects a while ago never gave it a proper listen, everybody says their like the bleakest band to ever listen to ever, but they just sound like any other black metal band iv heard! Any ideas on their most horrible painful scary as shit etc tunes so i can check that out? Cheers