Page 1 of 4
Well, I just did a search for Dio, and it looks like it's up to me to start a thread about the one thing that Gene Simmons didn't invent.
you don't mean that by any chance?
Dio rules. Classic material.
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
Morsch sind Baum und Pfad
mir ist kalt...
Of course, he pretty much made Metal history by bringing the horns to Metal (influanced by his grandma ). He's good IMO. I havn't paid much attention to Dio, but I might buy Holy Diver someday.
Super duper heavy metal. One of the best, evar.
THE TREND IS OVER
YOU WON'T NEED THAT ANYMORE
ITS ON SALE AT THE FUCKING DOLLAR STORE
Yeah, I finally bought "Holy Diver" and was blown away.

RAINBOW IN THE DARK!!!
Last in Line is just as good. One Night in the City is A+.
THE TREND IS OVER
YOU WON'T NEED THAT ANYMORE
ITS ON SALE AT THE FUCKING DOLLAR STORE
I love Dio. He's freakin awesome. I'll agree that Holy diver is a forgotton relic of Super manly metal. His videos are hilarious too. The guy is a legend.
WHY DID I BECOME A HOBO!?

Currently playing - Bioshock (360) Forza 2 (360) Mario Kart (Wii) and some CoD4 (360)
Whenever I hear Dio I think of that South Park episode where Dio plays Holy Diver at the school 'disco', anyone else seen it?
Originally posted by Novaworld
Smiddys right...
Dio > many, many things.
The albums he did with Rainbow and Black Sabbath, as well has his solo work, are all pwnage.
JUMP ON THE TIGER !!! i`m a punk, but Dio rules, his solo works and with black sabbath are ****ing great, hi is better than ozzy and bitch after dio
Quote by smiddy
Whenever I hear Dio I think of that South Park episode where Dio plays Holy Diver at the school 'disco', anyone else seen it?

Yeah i remember that episode!

Ronnie James Dio even did the voice of Doctor X in Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime 2. Which is pretty cool.

But yeah i reckon Holy Diver is a kick ass song (not that ive heard many other songs)
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......?
....\__________.?
^ Try Stand up and shout, Don't talk to strangers and Rainbow in the dark. Hell, just buy the damn holy diver record!!

Currently playing - Bioshock (360) Forza 2 (360) Mario Kart (Wii) and some CoD4 (360)
Yea Rainbow In The Dark! Dio is the sh'it man
Dave Mustaine for president.
DECAPITATED

R.I.P Vitek
Quote by smiddy

hehe yes. He even plays it twice, I think. His band looks a bit gay though and they always have those acoustic guitars with 4 strings
pretty cool though.
Morsch sind Baum und Pfad
mir ist kalt...
Hey, Holy Diver isn't his only album you know! Holy Diver does pwn, but Master Of The Moon is pretty damn good as well.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I got all 3 of his with Rainbow, all 3 with Sabbath and his first 4 solo records. Love the guy's voice, powerful.
It's not the fear of what's beyond
It's just that I might not respond
Dio got the horns from his grandma and how she used to do that towards him during his childhood. It stemmed from her superstitious beliefs if I remember the story right. He meant to make a sign with his hands forming the horns, and actually meant to represent something. That's a fact as to why he would make the horns.

I forget exactly what album from KISS it is, but Gene is standing on the cover art with his hands in the devil form. I'm not positive if he knew exactly what that conveyed or how popular it would become, or even if it was done subconciously even by accident. However if he really did know what he was trying to convey or made the horns on purpose then he would definately be the creator of the horns since he represented it before Dio ever did.

But meh. That's just a little bit of useless trivia I know about, it's really not that important as to who created the horns anyway.

Dio is a fantastic singer though. Did great with Sabbath and by himself.
Black/Death.
^ heard that on VH1

W.A.S.P. > Dio

wwwwoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by grave at Jun 4, 2006,
Yup. But we can't be sure if Gene really meant to do those horns or not...

It will remain a mystery.
Black/Death.
My friends and I worship Dio.

He is gawd, and yes he is the true inventor of the Horns.

Evil Lurks!!!!!
Dio does rule... Yes. Holy Diver is classic. My personal favourite track is "Caught In The Middle". SO damned awsome!
I love his singing in the Mr. Crowley cover, but I don't listen to it ever because of how Yngwie pretty much murders the original.

Rainbow in the dark is a cool song too.
Quote by Mr. Hand
Dio does rule... Yes. Holy Diver is classic. My personal favourite track is "Caught In The Middle". SO damned awsome!

Thats my brother's favourite Dio song. We put Holy diver on whenever we go anywhere in his car. Its the best record to play in the car 'cause we just sing along to it.

Quote by monkey of doom
Thats my brother's favourite Dio song. We put Holy diver on whenever we go anywhere in his car. Its the best record to play in the car 'cause we just sing along to it.
Yeah, it's pure pwnage for sure. I usually growl along with my albums...this lets me practice a bit of my falsetto
I just love the lyrics because they're hilarious. You be driving down the street, singing 'Rainbow in the dark' and you'd get all these strange looks from random old people. I for one have no idea what half the lyrics on Holy diver mean. They are either Brilliant poetry or the drunken ramblings of a old geezer with a skullet.

^^Maybe it's both. Drunks often make literary masterpieces. Earnest Hemingway was a drunk and he was good at what he did.
Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
It's way too sunny and warm here today to listen to black metal, I shall bookmark it and come back when the weather is worse.
Quote by monkey of doom
I just love the lyrics because they're hilarious. You be driving down the street, singing 'Rainbow in the dark' and you'd get all these strange looks from random old people. I for one have no idea what half the lyrics on Holy diver mean. They are either Brilliant poetry or the drunken ramblings of a old geezer with a skullet.

Plus it's a bitchin' keyboard riff, and that's rare.
^ Yeah, in a metal song that is pretty rare. Someone once told me that song is about closet Homosexuality

Edit - I'm actually glad people still call Dio metal around here

Has anyone heard the Tenacious D song "Dio"? It's freakin' hilarious...

BTW Dio ftw...
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
Holy Diver is quite good.
When I heard smoking would kill me, I bought shares in Dunhill and Marlboro - Thomas Geraghty

If we don't change it, nothing will fucking change.
^Indeed.
Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
It's way too sunny and warm here today to listen to black metal, I shall bookmark it and come back when the weather is worse.
^ Your avatar is Brilliant

Anybody like the other stuff like Master of moon? I frickin love that song 'The eyes'

Quote by monkey of doom
^ Your avatar is Brilliant

Anybody like the other stuff like Master of moon? I frickin love that song 'The eyes'

Yeah, Master of Moon is pretty cool. Thanks for that avatar comment BTW.
Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
Dio is one of the best Heavy Metal singers out there. Elf rocked, Rainbow was at its best when Dio was with them (not counting the first album), Heaven and Hell rules, and his solo career rocks (Rainbow in the Dark).
Quote by monkey of doom
^ Yeah, in a metal song that is pretty rare. Someone once told me that song is about closet Homosexuality
I dunno if that's what they had in mind in that particular song...but yes, that's the correct usage of the phrase.
God damn.

Dio is so cheesy.. Its on the borderline between hilariously good cheese and just awful.

Jump, jump on the tigah!
Hooooly Divah, lookout!

gah.
i love dio, but can;t seem to get into either ELF or RAINBOW. nor have i heard any sabbath era dio......but his solo stuff is da bomb my big nigz.

rainbow in the dark-keyboards are the shnizzle
Page 1 of 4