My Straploks on my Epi LP Custom have been stripped for a good few months now and I've been using duct tape to keep my strap on. The bottom hole is completely stripped and on my top hole, my Straplok always came loose, so I put a toothpick in there, as reccomended, but it's stuck in there and I can't get it out. Should I do this myself, and if so, any procedures? If not, would it be a cheap fix at a shop?
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
What exactly is stripped? I'm assuming it's the wood that the strap pin/strap lock screws into.

Personally, i use this method. Fill the hole with wood glue. Cram as many toothpicks/slivers of some sort of wood in as possible. Wipe up excess glue. Apply some weight or pressure to the peices of the toothpicks showing. Wait for it to dry for a few hours, maybe even a day. use a sharp x-acto knife to saw away at the exposed part of the toothpick. then just screw in the old screw.
HOLY CRAP!!!!yours to mine did to and ive seen 3 other reveiws about epiphone lp's strap buttons stipping.i just jammed paper in to mine and stuck the button back in and it hasnt came out yet
I want to be able to put the Straploks back in. I was thinking about getting my friend to do the repairs for me, since he does all his own guitar work. And for the excess goo left by the duct tape, should I use goo-b-gone for it?
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Oh, either dril otu a hole, and glue in a dowel to fill it up, or jam as many tooth picks possible, not just one.
toothpicks, jam toothpicks into the hole, util you cant jam no more, then screw the button back on. my les paul had the same problem. epiphoned do this because they arent made out of solid wood, they are made out of plywood which isnt very good for screwing into, for example. my epiphone putton are stripped, the pickguars screws are too, so are the screws that hold the backplate on. thats just life. life than can be easaly fixed with toothpicks.
So I just jam toothpicks in there and I'll be fine?
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
yeah, its an old woodworkers trick, use the round wood ones. break them to the length of the screw (so they arent sticking out, if they are you can always cut them flush) and jam them in there, i fit about 3 or 4 into mine. its gotta be tight though, dont just put one in there. keep putting the toothpicks in until you can put anymore and then screw it back in
^Yep, toothpics. I like to jam them in, and then soak the hole in glue so the toothpics are nice and saturated. Then screw in the screw, and let the glue set, It should be very strong
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Basically you cram as many tooth picks in the hole to basically act as replacment wood for the wodo the screw stripped. Then when yo usrew in the screw, the screw compresses the toothpicks into the edges of the hole, and puts pressure on the other wood, and it since the pressure is so great, it can't slide out.