I want to put a Floyd Rose on my Ibanez RG120. Is this possible? What would it cost? Would It be possible for me to do it myself?
I don't really want to bump but I'd rather not make a new thread on this. Any help is appreciated.
Yup its possible.
but you have to do a bit of alterations to the body
as in routing a larger cavity
and putting in a locking nut.

I reccommend putting a Kahler in instead though..
Because it requires less body work (but still some)
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Dude that would require alot of routing to your body. I wouldnt recommend that. Maybe you could find some other trem that is still a good one but would require less mods. Because its a pain in the ass. I am trying to put a Floyd Rose on my strat right now.
Quote by Evian
What would i need to do to install a kahler? Are they as good as floyds?

Basicallt a little LESS routing than a floyd but still some

Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman both swear by their Kahlers

they are a little different than floyds
but in the end they are just as good
if not better
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Evian
Whats the difference?

It's not a fulcrum trem. It has a basic plate, and a cam that the saddles and arm are attached to. Basically, you get a much smoother feel than an OFR, and maybe even more than an Edge Pro. Get a 2300 series, as the 2200 series is meant for Tune-o-matics.

Check 'em out: http://www.kahlerusa.com

And azn_guitarist25, have you ever heard a Slayer solo?
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jun 5, 2006,
nope sadly, but like said in my previous post it said "i think" so i cant be liable for any incorrect information
you can attach a floyd without a recess too- it'll just mean that you don't have any (or at least, very little) up-pull.

I'd say it's barely worth it on that guitar, to be honest, evian. Unless you have your own workshop, and can get a good floyd for cheap...

because you could get a guitar with a good floyd for not very much more than it'd cost to put a floyd on that ibanez...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's got sentimental value to me, not to mention it plays really nicely, so I think it would be a shame for it to go to waste.

On second thought...I want to put one on my Destroyer first. Are you able to pull a Kahler trem up or is it dives only?
Quote by Evian
It's got sentimental value to me, not to mention it plays really nicely, so I think it would be a shame for it to go to waste.

On second thought...I want to put one on my Destroyer first. Are you able to pull a Kahler trem up or is it dives only?

Like I said, ever heard a Slayer solo? Kerry and Jeff swear by Kahlers. It's got excellent up- and downpull, and is very, very smooth. Did you completely disregard my post?
i have a kahler spyder and i swear by it although it is currently not in my guitar. one of the saddles is gone. long story. i got a floyd rose in my guitar now(an eighty-ish westone but very kick ass) while im searching for the part for the kahler (i was told the spyder isnt made anymore). the floyd is pretty wicked too. and the cool thing was it just popped in their with no mods. so which ever one you pick you can always drop the other one in if you change your mind.
Quote by Evian

yeah, there's that. Just be aware that you're probably paying more than it's worth to get it done. At the end of the day, if you think it's worth it for whatever reason, it's worth it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, It's worth it to me. But right now I'm doing an extensive mod on my Destroyer. How difficult would it be to throw a trem on that?

Edit: To the guy who said slayer solo, I read your post but I didn't know you were asking a question. No I can't say I've ever heard a slayer solo.
^ is it a hardtail explorer?

assuming it is, and you want up-pull: you'll need to route the body, route the holes for the pivot posts/studs, solder a ground wire from the volume knob (i think- it's from somewhere, lol) to the back of the trem claw, fit the trem, etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So I'm guessing routing the body is the big work, right? How much would it cost to get it done professionally?
Quote by Evian
Well, It's worth it to me. But right now I'm doing an extensive mod on my Destroyer. How difficult would it be to throw a trem on that?

Edit: To the guy who said slayer solo, I read your post but I didn't know you were asking a question. No I can't say I've ever heard a slayer solo.

The typical Slayer solo consists of really fast legato licks and crazy whammy bar tricks. Lots of divebombs and pull-ups. Jeff and Kerry use Kahlers almost exclusively, unless it's impossible to do so.
Quote by Evian
So I'm guessing routing the body is the big work, right? How much would it cost to get it done professionally?

i have no idea, you'd need to contact a luthier.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I dont think I want to get it routed yet. So what would i have to do to get just a nice locking trem on the destroyer?
^ you're gonna have to do at least a bit of routing, since the sustain block has to go through to the back of the guitar... even if you don't need the trem recessed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah, you'll have to drill to get the claw in, which the springs are attached to.

So it's a pretty big job, to be honest. unless you're a luthier (or good at woodworking).

Probably handier, unless you're adamant that you want floyds on all your guitars, to just keep the guitars that don't have floyds as hardtails/vintage trem models, and buy some new guitars that have good floyds already attached. That way you have more guitars, for very little extra cost.

Up to you obviously evian, I don't know what you're thinking, or what your reasoning is...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, you'll have to drill to get the claw in, which the springs are attached to.

So it's a pretty big job, to be honest. unless you're a luthier (or good at woodworking).

Probably handier, unless you're adamant that you want floyds on all your guitars, to just keep the guitars that don't have floyds as hardtails/vintage trem models, and buy some new guitars that have good floyds already attached. That way you have more guitars, for very little extra cost.

Up to you obviously evian, I don't know what you're thinking, or what your reasoning is...

^ +1 on this statement, you may find that you want to have a hardtail guitar later in life
if you have the time to do a lot of work, then install the floyd rose.

But seriously, the kahler pro kicks ass
Quote by azn_guitarist25
^ +1 on this statement, you may find that you want to have a hardtail guitar later in life

I already have one, and another on the way, so a floyd guitar would be a nice change of pace. I'll look into the lutheir thing and see how much it would cost.
Quote by Evian
I already have one, and another on the way, so a floyd guitar would be a nice change of pace. I'll look into the lutheir thing and see how much it would cost.

yeah, go for it then. As I said, you know more about your situation than we do, lol.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well you could try your possibiltys with kahler tremolos apparently they dont need that much routing just a few holes drilled and your on your way but setting up is completely different