Page 1 of 2
K i have like 2 weeks to decide for a metal head. Mesa/Boogie Triple Recto, Peavey XXX, or Peavey 6550. Which one is best? If theres others, please suggest.
If you have the cash, I'd look into Diezel. They're very, very expensive.

I fell in love with a Diezel, but money is preventing us from being together.
What kind of metal? Specific bands please...
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
well not total metal, few metallica, ozzy, zeppling, alice in chains
Quote by mitch12

Oh. I'd suggest a Marshall JCM 2000, then.
Quote by mitch12
K i have like 2 weeks to decide for a metal head. Mesa/Boogie Triple Recto, Peavey XXX, or Peavey 6550. Which one is best? If theres others, please suggest.

First off, ya went way overboard with the Triple Recto. For the bands you named out...the Single would be the best one.

The XXX is good...but its not even in the same legue as the 6505 or a Recto.

The 6505 is just...not for you. GREAT amp, and its actually pretty versitile...but not for you.

Like someone above me said... Look into a Marshall (tube) head.
dude buy a marshall jcm 2000. it's going to have a more versatile tone than any of the amps you listed. it'll easily allow you to switch from an alice in chains sound to a metallica/megadeth sound without modifications. the tsl 100 has all the gain you should need, and the clean tones are phenominal.
ma gear

"it's too hard man, don't even try"
-jason becker

"get those flabby fingers in shape"
-rusty cooley
Laney GH50L
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Question, rather than making another thread, I have sort of the same question, but add in a JSX, but I play alot of Arch Enemy, Black Label, Pantera, Sinergy, Slayer, ect.
Quote by somepunkkid
Fender MH-500 Metalhead

i like fender amps for some reason. I actually enjoyed playing this.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

hes thinking of buying a awsome tube half stack and you recommend a POS solid state???
Quote by Mudder
Laney GH50L

Amen, brother. I have this head, and it's awesome. It'll work great for the classic rock/metal music that you said you play. Crank up the gain for Metallica and Ozzy, and dial it back down a bit for LZ. It's damned loud for a 50 watt tube head, in case that matters.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Engl amps are versatile, and made for metal.

Think about either a screammer or a powerball.

engl amps shouold easly play any of those bands on your list
go cowboys
If you want versatility aswell, definitely check out Hughes and Kettner amps. Absolutely wonderful amps.
Quote by somepunkkid
Fender MH-500 Metalhead

i like fender amps for some reason. I actually enjoyed playing this.

let me take you all through the thought process behind this post:

"hmmm the threadstarter wants a head...for metal....hmmmmm...head...metal....metal....head.....metal head? *googles 'metal head'*

Fender MetalHead it is"

I agree with the DSL/TSL 100
Marshall for me.

Triple recto is overkill, XXX is a Recto wannabe (still a kickass amp though) and 5150 is just not what you want.
Quote by TheFluffy

hes thinking of buying a awsome tube half stack and you recommend a POS solid state???

yeah your right i didnt read the first post... but its not a bad amp. have you ever actually used it?

EDIT: God i feel like such a newb
Last edited by somepunkkid at Jun 4, 2006,
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
First off, ya went way overboard with the Triple Recto. For the bands you named out...the Single would be the best one.

The XXX is good...but its not even in the same legue as the 6505 or a Recto.

The 6505 is just...not for you. GREAT amp, and its actually pretty versitile...but not for you.

Like someone above me said... Look into a Marshall (tube) head.

laff, I nail metallica and Alice in Chains tones all day long with my 5150.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx

agreed. My major complaint (which geno will dispute, I'm sure, lol) with the 6505+ was the clean channel.

But it sounded very "rock" when you dialled it in right.

Out of the amps you mentioned (threadstarter) I'd say the 6505 is closest to what you want, lol.

But how about a splawn? they're meant to be great for hotrodded marshall tones.

I tried a tsl recently, and I wasn't impressed. I hate the way they hedge their bets with the tone.

Jim Marshall: "right, we need an amp that'll do modern tones, AND classic tones"

Marshall R&D: "here you are, sir, the tsl!"

Dave_Mc: "Ugh, that sounds way too modern for the classic tones and not modern enough for the modern tones!"

so yeah. To get a classic rock tone at low volumes, I had to use the crunch channel, with gain on 1 (!) and the EQ totally screwed up (like treble 1, mid 10, bass 4)- and it still sounded kinda solid state. I assume it'd be better cranked, when you could let the power amp do more of the work.

Not a thumbs up for the TSL, then.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well thanks fir all the suggestions, although there will be stuff like Zepplin, it will be played with a bit heavier tone due to the crowd its for, I have tried the Triple Recto and loved it, i haven't played on any of the other heads you guys have suggested, and i cant order unless im buying for sure. The JCM 2000 isn't anything like the JCm 800 is it, Cause for what i need the JCM 800 don't cut it for me.
Quote by mitch12

I'm gonna go out on a limb and recomend the mesa Stilleto (sp) It sounds like a really pissed off Marshall, it should do the bands you listed quite easily.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by xxgenocide98xx

Im sure you can. Never said it couldnt. I said that it still isnt a good amp for this paticular kid.
Quote by El Codyo
I'm gonna go with Dave, splawns are awesome amps, and the pro-mod 100 would easily do what you want.

Indeed. Splawn are sexay amps, too. One of my next purchases in the distant future, actually. Getting rid of the recto and buying a JCM 800 to mod or a splawn...

I'd still say the 5150/6505. Alice in Chains ftw. I get a great rock/metal tone with my 5150.. I hate that I have to sell it because it was a blast to play on my own (I play metal w/ band, more rock on my own)

Quote by Loomis-Amott
Question, rather than making another thread, I have sort of the same question, but add in a JSX, but I play alot of Arch Enemy, Black Label, Pantera, Sinergy, Slayer, ect.

The JSX isnt as good for heavier tones. I doubt it'll do pantera or Arch Enemy well. I think it'd do slayer and BLS alright, tho. If you want AE/Nevermore try the ****in 5150, it gets a great loomis or Amott bros tone.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Jun 5, 2006,
I was At a king diamond show where the warm up bands used a JSX and that did heavier metal tones well. One of the bands played a sort of death/thrash metal, and it did that just fine.

I could imagne the jsx could do Pantera and Arch enemy as well.
go cowboys
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Indeed. Splawn are sexay amps, too. One of my next purchases in the distant future, actually. Getting rid of the recto and buying a JCM 800 to mod or a splawn...

agreed. I've only heard soundclips, but i've heard great testimonials from guys who own it (who aren't fanboys, and aren't on HC) and I pretty much want a quick rod for my hair metal tendencies...

damn gas!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
DSL. imo is far better than the tsl for classic tones. od1 can nail classic rock and od2 is heavy enough for metallica.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
how bout line 6? I just heard my bands friend today, they play heavy metal and it didnt sound to bad.
unless you are hitman, you aren't going to be able to by the best amp and best guitar in one summer. These halfstacks are upwards of $3000 USD and guitars are well over $1000 USD. I wouldn't get you hopes up. Go with a guitar for now.
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
Quote by mitch12
how bout line 6? I just heard my bands friend today, they play heavy metal and it didnt sound to bad.

i really hope you arent talking about the spider 2's

i agree that dsl's are better for classic rock, though a 5150 or a Marshall jcm800 with a tubescreamer possibly, never heard a splawn
Quote by leafpro
I was At a king diamond show where the warm up bands used a JSX and that did heavier metal tones well. One of the bands played a sort of death/thrash metal, and it did that just fine.

I could imagne the jsx could do Pantera and Arch enemy as well.

I never really liked it for those tones, though. It was more of a rock amp than anything else, when you turn the gain up tons you started to lose alot of the definition other amps had, it started to get a bit too fat/chunky
best amps ever:

1. Mesa Boogie Mark IV
2. Peavy JSx (with 6L6s)
3. Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
4. Mesa Boogie Lonestar

I haven't tried any ENGLs though!

EDIT: Am I the only one that thinks that the Marshall TSLs and DSLs Suck big donkey dick?
to get a Marshall tone, don't get a Marshall unless it's a JCM 800
but there are trillions of amps that have the Marshall tone and are beter than Marshalls!
Last edited by Anty 7 at Jun 5, 2006,
Quote by Danno13
^What hitmen have you been talking to?

I know people who know people.

But anyways, I'm just trying to make a point that he's not going to make enough money to but $4000 worth of equipment in one summer. That's even assuming that he doesn't spend money on food, concerts, general fun, and other such things. It's not going to happen. I worked 40 hours a week, making $6.50 an hour a few summers ago, and I made probably $3000. take out food, gas, concerts, other **** and I had maybe $1200-$1500 left. But then you have to be frugile and save your money, which I know is hard for me.
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
Engl dude, powerball is pretty versatile i tested it out. It can take any kind of metal of course, all the bands you mentioned, some blues, (no jazz i think never played lol), and the nice LZ tone too. Well if you want to be specific if like LZ, get a gibson les paul to the whole collection to get that sound lol.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
k guitarwylde03 where did u get that he was getting the money over the summer, he probably has the money or is close to it
im gonna go with the TSL or DSL. maybe a JCM 800 or 900 with 2 channels.

but im gonna go for the Randall MTS too. thos things are very versitile if you have alot of the replacement things.
R.I.P. Dime
"Forever Shred On"
Page 1 of 2