You know how when you turn a small amp up with all the knobs at ten it gets really ****ty sounding a muddy and sounds all ****ed up. Would that happen when I crank a jcm800 combo? and what prevents this, the number of speakers? the wattage? and explanation of this would be appreciated. thanks
A JCM will sound really good cranked. I'm guessing whatever small combo you're using is solid state, which sounds like crap turned up. Tube amps sound better turned up. Of course, you won't be able to turn everything to 10 on a JCM800 without blowing your eardrums.
an amp with a high watt output will prevent breaking up, that way you dont need to turn it up to ten, because it is loud enough already
So I need to choose what wattage to get for a JCM800 combo im getting. I would be using it to jam with bands, play some gigs with. Would a jcm800 be for that. I also liek to play very loud. So do all amps do this, like if I took a JCM800 and cranked it to max would it do this (50 Watt)? should i go for a 100 or 50? whats really the differnce between them? Thanks guys, hopefully someone could answer those couple questions too ^?
why the **** you get a JCM 800 and not want to crank it!!?!?!?! anyways 50 should be loud enough
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

Most amps are not meant to crank every fuckin' knob up! The reason for a large amp is for sound quality, not the number of decibels you can turn it up to.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Not with all the knobs turned to 10 bud...
- FJ

If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

notice how I used that as an example, to assist in explaining the broken up sound i was trying to explain
You are gonna get that sound if you turn up your amp very loud. And you only need to turn up the EQ knobs up to where they sound good. What amp do you have?
- FJ

So Basically any amp when it gets almost to ten it breaks up nomatter what wattage it still eventually does? correct?
What you mean by 'breaking up' is different than the classic example.
You mean 'sounds bad and nasty and muddy'
We mean 'distorts'
All amps break up at some point. Not all of them (most tube amps) won't do what you described.
I meant the ****ty one. oviously all amps break up as in go overdriven (which is good) what i meant though is go all muddy and warped sounding
People, quit whining about it being the wron forum and try HELPING. In the time it takes you to type "wrong forum" you could answer their question.

On topic, most solid state amps will do that. They'll get muddier with higher volume. Flyingjew described it perfectly. Bigger amps are meant for bigger tone. Not blowing eardrums.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar