So. Im in a band. And while we were jamming i found it hard to play guitar and sing at the same time. Whenever i started to play, i would forget to play, or my mind would be some place else. I was wondering if there were any suggestions about how i could overcome this.
This Week's Random Sig;;

Quote by stepco12345
Oh, and maggotx3, i love your avatar, it is quite humourous.
i had the same problem too, but PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE and youll get the hang of it
Quote by Doolittle
Do it for Hedwig!
yes practise is the best way obviously, play some songs you know very well that you have on cd and play along with the cd, and sing with it as well
then try it on your own songs and itll come naturally
Should i practice singing without guitar, and than later when i get the singing part down, add the guitar?
This Week's Random Sig;;

Quote by stepco12345
i would do it the other way around, but that works too. as soon as you can do one in your sleep, the other just comes along
You have to know the guitar part inside out, so you can play it without giving it much, if any, thought. Practice, patience and experience is the key here.

I started singing just a little while ago whilst playing, and i haven't experienced what you're talking about. I understand how it could be difficult, and it depends on the song, but i haven't had trouble with anything i'm doing (comfortably numb, some neil young etc), not to brag

How long have you been playing guitar?
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
ya its a bitch to do that but practice or even play songs thats lyrics go along with the guitaring. example like in all the small things by blink 182 how the guitar changes along with the lyrics it makes it so much easier to do it
My gear:
Tom Delonge squire strat
fender princeton 650
danelectric p.o.s. peddle
practise both! 1practise the guitar part till u can play it with eyes closed, and 2sing the part so you can recite all the lyrics, then 3practise both at same time.
4.rpeat steps 1-3 numerous times.
Quote by maggotx3
Should i practice singing without guitar, and than later when i get the singing part down, add the guitar?

For all the songs i've done, I learned or already knew the guitar parts before i added the singing. A friend of mine who's been playing for about 10 years told me that its easier [for him] to learn the guitar parts first and then add the singing. He said that doing it the other way can potentially give him timing problems.

I don't really see how there is a difference, and i guess i'll give them both a shot. I recommend you do whatever seems the most natural.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Well.. my band and I are playing for our mini-grad at our school. And we decided to play. eeek. Fall Out Boy- Dance, Dance because we cant really play anything heavy and we only have one guitaist (myself)

i know the song by heart. and the lyrics are easy. but in the opening verse. the guy sings, than the guitar part comes in, and its usually REALLY easy to play, but i get screwed up and mess it up.
This Week's Random Sig;;

Quote by stepco12345
Quote by twittch
i had the same problem too, but PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE and youll get the hang of it

wat he said

PRACTICE

i also find it helpful to tap my leg to the beat to helo with playing while im singing, or use certain words to know when to change positions, like on a certain word i change to a differt postion on the neck of the guitar
that helps me
For tricky stuff, I learn each thing separately. Then, I play them together very slowly, so I can get down exactly where the different notes of guitar and voice hit. Then gradually speed up.

The last piece I used this on was Day Tripper, I had a hard time getting the vocals down with the riff.
start of with simple stuff like powerchords and just strum them once, the build on the strumming pattern... if you want a good example of singing and playing guitar then listen to some children of bodom. Alexi manages to play lead and sing, well growl, at the same time
I had the same problem. Some good songs to start with are Inhale by Stone Sour and Hurt by Nine Inch Nails.
Dickless.
i wouldnt know, its never been a problem for me, cept when im playing alot of sperate notes or something, it starts to become kind of hard to concentrate, but playing chords is easy peasy, lemon ****ing squeezy