Page 1 of 2
Hey guys!

After installing the Tremonti's, I decided to take the hotplate out of the chain and see how my recto sounds alone with the higher output pickups.

GOOD GOD! Wow......I don't know whether I'm just hearing things because of speculation, or something else of that matter, but the hotplate has been stealing my bedroom practice tone....

All the treble (even though I was using the treble boost on the hotplate) can right back, the bass, the dynamics, the gain! Wow! Almost seems more articulate and defined. Only problem is that the amp is a bit loud for my room without the hotplate.

The output is very very lower, less than 1, but it is a bit too loud for comfort. But the tone is killer! Much much better than the hotplate (a little buzz from the preamp distortion, but it is not too bad).

So, am I going crazy, or has someone else seen this too? I'm actually considering parting with the THD.
Last edited by ibanez4life SZ! at Jun 4, 2006,
That sounds like one tone sucking bastard, that hotplate. The pickups have anything to do with your... discovery?
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Well, with the JB, the recto was lacking at lower volumes.

The Tremonti's are really pushing it harder, so I'm getting a much nicer tone at the lower volume. Just the nature of the pickups brought my curiousity to try it.....

If only it would go a tad quieter...........
I would imagine something such as the hotplate would make you sacrafice some tone, yes. I had no idea it completely rapes your tone as you've describred though

w00t 1000th POST!!
Wow... Seems surprising to me. Of all the attenateurs (sp?), I usually see the Hot Plate as being the all around best for being pretty transparent. Hell, recently I've been tempted to get one because I hate how loud my amp is in my room, lol...

Are you sure the change isn't just the pickups? Seems to me like that would be so. A Hot Plate sucks tone, but it really shouldn't be that drastic.

And if you don't want the Hot Plate... can I have it? I'll drive down and get it, lol...
^get a 2x12. A recto would still look cool sitting ontop of one of those.

Yeah, mus thave been the pickups, like CyberAlien said, I wouldn't have expected the THD to be that much of a sucker.
Ibanez, you have tried the hotplate with the new pickups right? Cos if not then it's like others have been saying, the new pickups are just much better.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
You might want to do an AB test with the Hotplate before jumping to conclusions.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
I've been doing testing on one of Weber's Minimasses.
http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm
This attenuator seems pretty good to me...it compresses things a little bit, but IMO it sounds fine. Some compression is to be expected.
I tried the hotplate out at my guitar store the other day...its really expensive, and IMO not that great sounding...
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
so the minimass doesn't effect your tone hardly at all?

i need an attenouter and for 100 bucks the mini can't be beat price wise. is it really that good?
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
hoyl ****! tyhe recto is still 2 loud for yuor room even when its less than 1?? jesus my mg15 running thru a 4x12 is almsot 2 loaud AT 1, once i get a recto, **** i duno what im gunan do lol prolly gunan ahve to sound proof my room or sumthing
you run an mg15 through a 4x12...

plz tell me thats a joke...
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by Dyaxe666
hoyl ****! tyhe recto is still 2 loud for yuor room even when its less than 1?? jesus my mg15 running thru a 4x12 is almsot 2 loaud AT 1, once i get a recto, **** i duno what im gunan do lol prolly gunan ahve to sound proof my room or sumthing

lol wow, you do know you can turn the volume nob down right >.>
mod your cab so you can switch between runing one driver and all four, thatll decrease your sensitivity by 6db, so i think that close to what a hotplate does. you wont even need to change impedances on your amp assuming its a standard series/paralell configed cab.

you get the same topne as the cab now, although maybe a bit less low end, but it should work pretty well. no harm in trying!
Hey guys , sorry for the noob question,
But whats a hotplate and what does it do?
Quote by trantran
mod your cab so you can switch between runing one driver and all four, thatll decrease your sensitivity by 6db, so i think that close to what a hotplate does. you wont even need to change impedances on your amp assuming its a standard series/paralell configed cab.

you get the same topne as the cab now, although maybe a bit less low end, but it should work pretty well. no harm in trying!

wow, if you can do this that would be so awesome, great idea, the minimass looks great too
Quote by Dyaxe666

What the ****?

On another note:

Yes The hotplate steals tone. Your new pickups also SOUND different, therefore will make the amp react a different way.

Any form of bedroom practice with a rectifier is like asking for hearing damage. Jesus christ, they're too loud.
Well when you run a 4x12, you need to put some volume into the speakers to get them to sound good. Try pushing the volume a little higher on the Recto and then using the Hotplate to get it not down to quiet bedroom tone, but just to a little quieter, and see how it sounds. If it still kills your tone, then it is the Hotplate. If you need a quiet amp but don't want to kill your tone, you might have to get a smaller cab (maybe a 1x12 with a 100W speaker or a 2x12) for bedroom practice.
P. Swaminathan
(No company anymore... )

Album of the Week:
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
First.....of course this test was with the new pickups on both, both with and without the hotplate.

In all honesty, I think it's just the nature of the hotplate. I'll try it again today with less attenuation.

If not, It'll be up for sale. Cyber, I'll be in contact if I do choose to part with it!
That's odd.

What resistance setting are you using? I find at 16 ohms it starts to suck but everything under that sounded good to me.
Bleh.

Member #3 of the I Am Canadian Club, pm colen or Mantiscabinet to join
Member #3 of the Necrophagist worshippers pm night_lights to join
Member #2 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Quote by bonchie1
so the minimass doesn't effect your tone hardly at all?

i need an attenouter and for 100 bucks the mini can't be beat price wise. is it really that good?

It does, but very little. The difference is around 1 notch on the tone knob...I just turn the amp up one notch, and its totally fine.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Yeah dude Hotplates are the best attenuators I have ever used but they can still F up your tone a good bit. I mean I still use mine for bedroom practice because frankly tone isnt really all that important when no one is listening but I would never use one during a show. And as far as the new pups go they would change the nature of the tone of course but the hotplate is definitely the culprit here.
Quote by Aeridos
Yeah dude Hotplates are the best attenuators I have ever used but they can still F up your tone a good bit. I mean I still use mine for bedroom practice because frankly tone isnt really all that important when no one is listening but I would never use one during a show. And as far as the new pups go they would change the nature of the tone of course but the hotplate is definitely the culprit here.

I'm confused. Why use it for bedroom practise if it "F's up your tone"? Why do people use them during gigs? I thought it drives the amp harder, but at more comfortable listening levels, hense increasing the tone.

Am I being stupid?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
it doesn't f up your tone. It will take away some tone, that's the nature of what it's doing, but you have to offset that with how you setup your EQ. Normally, at the higher volume levels unattenuated, you are driving speakers, and they are moving air. Cab and speakers make a lot up a lot of your tone, if they aren't moving air, you aren't getting most of thier benefit. If you use it maxed out, it will drain more of your tone, because it's cutting out a lot of power and signal that would normally go to the speakers. You can attenuate all the way down to "infinity" decibels. The less attenuation you use, the less noticable the effect on tone and volume, you don't have to run it maxed to see a benefit. They aren't just meant to get an amp to bedroom listening levels, they are also used in the studio to get power tube overdrive at normal recording levels.

As it is now, he is getting "0" power tube overdrive with his volume levels set the way they are. He is using all preamp gain, which imo is excellent on the Rectifier series. I personally feel that the rectifiers get a lot of their signature sound from the preamp. However, if you want traditional power tube saturation, the amp has to be pushed well beyond bedroom levels.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jun 4, 2006,
Well, if your not playing for anyone, why is tone such a huge issue? I can undestand it if you are gigging, but in your bedroom? C'mon. Also, re-color that thing, it looks too innocent as a little purple box sitting atop a massive, manly beast of an amp with all its diamond plates and metal grill.
^No offense to you, but what you just said is very wrong IMO.....

Why bother having good tone in my bedroom when it is only me? Because I'm playing for me! I paid $2500 to have great tone and enjoy it! Playing is much more fun when you can enjoy your tone. Most guitarists are on a constant quest to improve tone. I'm one of them.

So, I should own a mesa, but because I practice alone, use a 15 watt MG instead?!?!

Sorry, just find that kinda funny.
I wouldn't get rid of it yet man. I think it's a combo of having the kickass pups, and you getting to know that notorious EQ a lot better. I would keep it around, and try it again a while from now.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I think it's pretty pointless having a 100 watt tube amp if all you do is bedroom practice. It's overkill to say the least.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Fender Standard Strat (w SD JB Humbucker in bridge)
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
^ He has a band.....gigs.......mesa iz teh pawnz0rage.......having a dual recto overkill? Don't think so
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Lol it makes me laugh that every thread Ibanez makes there are ALWAYS on his back. Whatever the thread, there's always people having a go.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
yeah. leavwe him alone. a decent amp doesn't have to be earned. if he wants it than he can have it. god be happy for he you jealous bastards.

^directed at the people who always say that stuff. to everyone that helps.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
yeah. leavwe him alone. a decent amp doesn't have to be earned. if he wants it than he can have it. god be happy for he you jealous bastards.

^directed at the people who always say that stuff. to everyone that helps.

While I don't agree that a good amp doesn't have to be earned, I consider earned though not so much time that you've played guitar compared to how much time you put into the gear you spean so much money one. Like if, and I'm sure he does, Ibanez plays his recto everyday than he's earned it in my eyes at least.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by STPGuitar311
I think it's pretty pointless having a 100 watt tube amp if all you do is bedroom practice. It's overkill to say the least.

I think overkill is starting a dozen threads, at least one new one a week, talking about your gear...
Hi, I'm Peter
Cody, Genocide, and SamDKing, thanks.

It's starting all over again. Every thread I post, I get told that I don't deserve/shouldn't have a mesa.

I play everday, I enjoy my tone more than anything, and my band gigs! We practice all the time when we're not gigging.

And Dirk, I think your comment was directed towards me.....what else have I posted recently? (other than two of this one, which I'm glad one got closed, cause it was a mistake )
Let's see...there was the pics of your rig thread, the videos of your rig thread, the clips of your rig thread, the other clips of your rig thread...
Hi, I'm Peter
^ But to be honest, what's wrong with that?

A lot of people in the GG&A forum are gearheads and they enjoy the sound and appearance, etc. of expensive gear. Surely it's better than the large quantity of CRAP threads we get in the forum on a daily basis.

I guess it's opinion, but I enjoy his threads. And, really, if you don't - don't click on them. It's not like there's too many to just ignore them.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Page 1 of 2