Hello its me again. Im feeling kind of dissapointed. I cant seem to find the right genre for me to play. Its really getting me very mad and sad. I've tried everything!! I leave my head open to new genres from Metal, Classic Rock, Alternative, Jazz, Classical, Shred, the list goes on and on. I listened to Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, The Beatles and watched DVDs to get me to find my inspiration to play and find a genre. The main problem is I never stick with one genre one day its Jazz the next day Im learning Red Hot Chili Peppers. Can anyone help me with this problem if Dr.Phil knew about music I would mail him to help me but I have UG. PLEASE HELP ME
1) Listening/appreciating more than 1 genre of music, not only fine, but a good thing, keep it up

2) dont tell yourself "o i want a metal band, but i love blues... o dammmit", instead: incorporate both into your music (think classic rock, or bands like led zep, black sabbath etc.)

3) if you listen to Jimi a lot, chances are you like innovative music. find a way to be creative/innovative with your style/playing/genre.
From the first 1 or 2 sentences of your post I can tell you've got a bit to learn as does pretty much everyone else on the planet but anyways.. you just have to incorporate all kinds of music stylings into your own style. Don't focus on trying to re-create a certain style of music, that's how we become dull. Be innovative, create your own style of music by learning other styles and mixing them together to make your own.
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
Quote by Clay Treznum
the more the marrier. just don't root yourself to one specific genre of guitar

Exactly. There was a wonderful quote that someone said, can't remember who, but it was something like 'Good music requires no genres' or similar, and it's true.

Don't root yourself to one genre; as you're listening and watching all sorts of different music, that's a good thing, you'll become exposed to more. But as for writing, write for yourself, you know? Music is a creative art, but an expressive art too. You should write music you enjoy playing, and if you enjoy playing it then it doesn't matter about classifying it into genres.
yea, uoy dont have to like only one genre of music, heck i like everything! and thats fine, most people like every genre of music
just play what you enjoy.. learn some songs by the bands you like, and when you get round to composing you own stuff you will find that you have incorparated many different styles into your own sound
Yeah, i have to say combining music genres make the best songs ever.
If you don't feel comfortable grounding yourself to a genre then don't do it. It's ok to be versatile. You can go one inch deep and a mile wide. Or an inch wide and a mile deep.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
make your own style (you do that by combining genres as people have said, haha)
Quote by Steve Cropper
You can go one inch deep and a mile wide. Or an inch wide and a mile deep.

If music was a woman... errr... nevermind...

Okok, to the original poster. I say that although it's great to vary your tastes, try to make yourself have the attention span at least to learn some of the basic styles and techniques of one of those genres. They'll certain overlap, so just keep on playing and making music.

Quote by Slurgi
If music was a woman... errr... nevermind...

Okok, to the original poster. I say that although it's great to vary your tastes, try to make yourself have the attention span at least to learn some of the basic styles and techniques of one of those genres. They'll certain overlap, so just keep on playing and making music.

If that is the type of woman you fancy then so be it.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
exactly, its ok to mix and match, like pantera was a mix of old school metal and country and blues (even dimebag, god bless him owned up to it and was quite proud of it) but he also incorporated some classical stuff a little bit o' jazz and other things as well. me personally i'll mix techno, drum and bass, a fat low bass line, some heavy guitars and classical piano all in one song ..... or maybe a country riff over a hypnotic type trance beat w/ some banjo and a harpsichord sounding synth..... just whatever sounds good for the song.
Quote by Pantera2589
Hello its me again. Im feeling kind of dissapointed. I cant seem to find the right genre for me to play. Its really getting me very mad and sad. I've tried everything!! I leave my head open to new genres from Metal, Classic Rock, Alternative, Jazz, Classical, Shred, the list goes on and on. I listened to Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, The Beatles and watched DVDs to get me to find my inspiration to play and find a genre. The main problem is I never stick with one genre one day its Jazz the next day Im learning Red Hot Chili Peppers. Can anyone help me with this problem if Dr.Phil knew about music I would mail him to help me but I have UG. PLEASE HELP ME

That's a bad thing??? Wow, I actually think you've been blessed! To have an interest in playing different genres is pretty cool.

Maybe you should try learning a really hard metal song one week, perfecting your jazz techniques the next week, and if you can't decide what to play, make a hybrid of everything you know and write a song.