My friend wants to switch to emgs because he says he can get a better clean sound out of them. Until this point i've only heard of emgs for metal but i guess it makes sence. the amp doenst have to drive the pickups as much to amplify them. will this work?
usually, high output pickups like emgs have horrid clean tones... from my expierence.
rawwwwwwwwwwww
Dave Gilmour uses EMG's (and a massively complex setup, I believe). Then again, these are singlecoils, not humbuckers. The EMG 60 has the best cleans, but even then, they aren't spectacular. Duncan Livewires may be better, I don't know for sure. Try looking at less mainstream pickup manufacturers, I'm sure there's some boutique pickup company that has excellent cleans.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
From your post, if I read it right... your friend wants a pickup for a GREAT CLEAN TONE. Yet he says he gets great clean tone from EMGs... and that because of that, he wants to switch to EMGs...

Really... for a good clean tone, EMGs or such other high output pickups are not the answer. Such pickups are renowned for their great use in high gain music, etc. Usually their clean leaves little to be desired.

So here's the question... is your friend after great clean tone, or is he after the clean tone of an EMG?

If he likes the EMG tone, go for the EMG. But if he's looking for a great clean tone, your answer will likely be in low output pickups.
your friend wants emg's for clean, na ah, unless you are going to be shredding some Vai or some Malmsteen, dont bother at all, i think single coils give better clean then humbuckers will ever.
*I want to remember to remember to forget you forgot me*

Gear:
Legend Black Beauty Les Paul
Squier Affinity Strat
Randall RG40R
Fender 12 string elec/acoustic
Yamaha Acoustic
The David Gilmour set DG-20 EMG's have the best cleans of ANY pickup as the have mid-precence and bass boosting expanding electronics.

You can change single-coils into humbuckers!

Expensive, like $300 or £250, but the best pickups on earth!
I've got a lovely set of EMGs and the cleans are horrible. Don't get EMGs unless you want to play metal or you're a fool.
actually if you know what your doing the EMG 60 has amazing cleans. I didnt like the cleans on the 89 just werent as good but no EMG has better cleans than the single coils
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by davedoom
The David Gilmour set DG-20 EMG's have the best cleans of ANY pickup as the have mid-precence and bass boosting expanding electronics.

You can change single-coils into humbuckers!

Expensive, like $300 or £250, but the best pickups on earth!

Not true, he only uses them because all the lighting causes crazy hum and buzz otherwise.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.