me and some friends have started a band and im thinking of buying a new guitar with a whammy bar. we're mainly playing punk so im thinking of gettin a cheap strat copy (posibly squire or encore) because i don't wanna throw my epi LP around so much. Would this be a good idea or should i save up more money and get a better guitar?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Save up.

Unless you dont want to be serious about it at all...but a really cheap guitar is a poor investment.
ok i think i'll save up then, could you recommend any good guitars with a whammy?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Use your Les Paul just dont wreck it. Just because your in a punk band it doesnt mean you have to trash your guitar.
If you definately want another one then you can get a Les Paul Junior for about £130.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
Ha, well thats a loaded question.

Do you want to be able to raise the pitch up and lower it, or just lower the pitch?

A mim fat strat would probably fit the bill, depends on what you want in a vibrato...though.
I'd have to agree, a crappy guirtar is a crappy investment. while I can't tell you what a good guitar with a whammy bar would be, because whammy isn't my favorite effect. I can say if worst comes to worst you can buy a whammy effects pedal.
i think i just want it for lowering the pitch, but if it's not much more expensive to get one that does both i'd definately consider it
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Quote by david_highland
because whammy isn't my favorite effect. I can say if worst comes to worst you can buy a whammy effects pedal.

I just got my first whammy bar today. I have had really no use for it ever before, but now that I have one I find that it adds a nice subtle touch to some songs.

The only whammy pedal I have heard good things about is the digitech...and its pricey.
Quote by twistedmaggot
i think i just want it for lowering the pitch, but if it's not much more expensive to get one that does both i'd definately consider it

Well my best advice to you would be to go to a local store and play every guitar you can get your hands on.
Quote by ChickenStu
*notes irony of your user title and mine.

Haha i was thinking the exact thing

Quote by ChickenStu
Well my best advice to you would be to go to a local store and play every guitar you can get your hands on.

I'm gonna go down there sometime through the week seeing as im not at collage for a while and it'll be nice and empty so i can try them out for as long as want
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Quote by AmIEvil?
um.. where do you need a whammy if you play punk?
i don't want to use the whammy for punk, i just want it to try using one as i havent used one before. i was thinking of getting a new guitar for a better punk sound and thought about gettin one with a whammy on it
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
well i guess if you play punk you could just get some whammy to make noises with it thats pretty rocknroll