my friends seem to think im rubbish because i use a pick.I am totaly krap with my fingers because i played guitar for a year befor changing .What can i learn which involves using a pick but is impressive?
Entwistle used to use a pick on My Generation, but the only impressive part on that song is the solo, and you might not like The Who.
Well a lot of bassists here around play with picks, that's because they're like you, actually guitarists. If do fine with a pick, then your friends are rubbish themselves. Although, you actually should try to practice your fingers...
Don't feel bad man. I only recently joined a band playing bass after playing guitar with a pick for 4 years, and it was just so much easier to use a pick because I was use to it, not to mention being the easier method.

In the end it shouldn't matter which method you use to play the bass, it's the sound you make. You'll find that using a pick makes a much punchier and defined sound, which in some aspects makes it ideal for certain music styles. It seems alot of punk style music bass players use a pick, and it definately is handy when playing that sort of fast paced style.

Forget about what others think. Although it doesn't hurt to learn how to play with your fingers. (well it can kinda hurt at times :-P) But it's about what you're comfortable with.
doh study it dude, plenty bass players use picks, just because you use one dosent mean you

A.) wont be a good player
B.) wont ever learn to play with your fingers
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
I personally won't use a pick unless the song is very fast, or if I'm playing a solo sometimes. But just practice with your fingers, but if you are fine with your pick, just tell them to **** thier mothers.
Gear:ESP B50 Bass , Ibanez Bass Practice amp, Dean Vendetta 4F , Dean TEVO, Epiphone Special SG, Dimarzio pickups, 30-watt Randall combo, 95Q Crybaby wah, Dunlop Picks, Dadarrio strings, MXR six-band eq.
Quote by ValascoDaGama
Well a lot of bassists here around play with picks, that's because they're like you, actually guitarists...

and guitarists do not use the fingers?
Quote by Pearson
Um. NIRVANA. I hope kurt dies. Oh wait, he killed himself already.
its not that bad. you'll get the hang of it after some time, i used to play electric guitar for three years and now i've switched to bass and i play using my fingers. but in the end its how good you actually are not with what you play with!!
When i started off playing bass i used a pick, but now i can use my fingers as well as a pick. I think you should diversify and use both, when you start using your fingers they will be really weak and slow, but after a couple of weeks you will look and sound like a pro =]
As bass was the first instrument I learnt, I used my fingers and just plain can't use a pick. A pick isn't neccessary to be fast as I'm pretty fast, but it's probably best to know how to use both.
Mostly anything you can play on bass with your fingers is possible with a pick with some skill but the only actual example of good bassist I know plays with a pick is Carlos D from Interpol who has some quite nice basslines.
John Pual Jones of Led Zeppelin uses a pick in some songs, so I recomend you learn The Immigrant Song LIVE by Led Zeppelin, that should do the trick. Not hard, but it sounds great. Key word is: LIVE
If you drop the pick for like, three days, I guarantee you you will be great with your fingers too. You might think you have retarded fingers for like teh hour, but it comes pretty quick. I play with both, depending on the song. Sometimes if you find out the song you play is picked by the bassist of that band, you can pick to sound more authentic. Or just fingerpick because it sounds better in some cases. But it really does depend on the music. I would never pick RATM.
For me when I want a song to sound picked I usually just alter the EQ on my bass or use an effect on my pedal. That was I can still have the freedom I like with fingering but have the right sound.
Quote by fatboyme
Entwistle used to use a pick on My Generation, but the only impressive part on that song is the solo, and you might not like The Who.

He uses his fingers during the solo. he also used a pick less later on because he got better at playing with four fingers.
Anything by Asian Kung-fu Generation ...don't laugh...

Their bassist plays Muse-esque basslines (minus teh fuzz) but with a pick. Nothing wrong with that, eh?
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
It's ok to use a pick, but a little advice would be to make something up like "I can get more tonal variety with a pick" instead of just telling people you're crap at playing with your fingers
Nah, but seriously, I prefer using picks too but you should learn to play with your fingers. It may feel odd or whatever at first but it'll come with practice. It will make you a better player - wider ability.
seeing your situation, it is okay to use a pick. i however, think that the fingers is what gives the bass its deep and warm sound.
The last word for bass playing with a pick is Carles Benavent. He plays flamenco bass with Paco de Lucia, and has done projects with Chick Corea. He plays chords, melodies at breakneck speeds, and holds the groove down--all at the same time.

This dvd will change your thinking about playing bass with a pick:

http://www.esflamenco.com/product/en93308480.html

Incredible bass stuff. I guarantee that after viewing this dvd, you will take this dvd to your bandmates and convince them that they are not only wrong, but they might encourage you to do what this guy does. And you will have the last laugh as their jaws drop at Carles' playing.

I play with a pick, but I also play with fingers (I have nails because I play flamenco guitar too). It's good to be flexible and try out new things, but it's also good to be as adept as possible with a pick or with fingers. Bottom line is that the groove has to sound solid and you must enjoy what you play.

Tony Levin plays with a pick, but he also uses fingers, and sticks on his fingers (called Funk Fingers, which he invented) to get a different approach to playing his bass! He also plays an electric standup bass with a bow. That's versatility.

Don't let your friends discourage you from playing with a pick--a lot of good bass lines out there were done with a pick in hand. If they keep giving you trouble--find a second band to play in that appreciates your style.
dude, your friend is a dueshbag. I play with a pick, but thats because I got used to it when I brok me arm and couldn't use my fingers for about a month. plus, I play guitar so I prefer a pick. I can use my fingers to. your friend just finds it tobe more proper to play bass with fingers, I feel that way at times to, but its just as crappy with your friend giving you **** about playing the way you are comfortable playing. you have to play the most comfortable you can, and if a pick makes you happy, then play with a pick
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Quote by tom-nofx
my friends seem to think im rubbish because i use a pick.I am totaly krap with my fingers because i played guitar for a year befor changing .What can i learn which involves using a pick but is impressive?

If you want to use a pick then go ahead and use one, be your own man.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by tom-nofx

theres nothing wrong with using a pick i do, and i use my fingers too. when i can change strings and play with all four fingers easily, then i'll probably use a plectrum less, but not ignore it.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
You all realize that your fourth finger might not add any speed, right?
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join
who cares what ur friend thinks.

generally speaking ppl who dont know what a bass is will think u look cooler if u use a pick. kinda sad but true.
Quote by Face The Slayer
You all realize that your fourth finger might not add any speed, right?

then what will it do? light up and play christmas songs?

we learn four finger because its an easier way of playing. 4 fingers at 4:4 at 120bpm is easier than 2 (or something)
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I think what you play defines how good of a player you are, not how you play. Though, i have to admit, i'm a finger purist.
Proud member of The Bass Militia! PM IndieMetalhead to join!

Quote by Fast_Bear
You know your a Bassist when you practice near the ocean, and whales respond.
I say this every time there's a pick thread in the bass forum:

Listen to Tool.

Quote by IndieMetalhead
then what will it do? light up and play christmas songs?

we learn four finger because its an easier way of playing. 4 fingers at 4:4 at 120bpm is easier than 2 (or something)

Playing with two fingers will tire out your fingers faster than playing with four will. It might not add much speed, but it's good for stamina purposes.
BTW... i'm too curios with Mark Hoppus the way he plays his Pink P-Bass... it really sound great but is he plays pick or in finger....??
Quote by boom_box
BTW... i'm too curios with Mark Hoppus the way he plays his Pink P-Bass... it really sound great but is he plays pick or in finger....??

A little hint for you. Never, ever, EVER praise Mark Hoppus's bass playing skills on UG. I'll let you off cos you're a noob here I believe he uses picks on some tracks, not on others.
Quote by lespaul_rentals
Mark Hoppus is probably my favorite bassist ever.

I may be forced to sig that.
Mark Hoppus uses a pick...always. However, one song was recorded with an upright bass. He used his fingers on that.
Who cares what your friends think, I use both and I'm a much better bassist than a friend of mine (only fingerstyle, been playing a year longer than me, he's actually had lessons). Be your own person.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by bouncingbassist
I may be forced to sig that.

If people read that they'll think I believe that! lol I'm laughing so hard right now...I don't know if I should celebrate or moan!