lol im looking to get a new guitar (not just yet, in about 6months time once i improve a good little bit) but the problem is im left handed!! my current guitar is a yamaha rgx121zl (i think lol) and ive looked around the internet a bit(UK only) and ive discovered (duh) that there isnt much choice for a lefty so i was hoping i could try some american sites as well!
the only thing concerning me is, are american guitars different to the ones here in the uk (stupid probably but im talking about cables etc, are they universal?)

if so then could people try to give me advice on either good guitars(lowish budget lol but maybe ill get it cheaper from america!) or good sites that ship to the uk?

thanks everyone and i hope this makes sense to you all because reading through it im getting myself confused!
ok dude I am lefty as well and yes it does suck that we dont have a big selection. ESP has alot of cost efective leftys. Also Ibanez has a few up thier sleve. so check those out, the ibanez will have the letter "l" as the last letter of the guitar, to basically tell you its lefty (duh). So check those out.
I would recommend the Ibanez RG370L, its a very nice guitar. And once you have money just switch the tremolo for an Edge Pro.
Quote by ankitpanda
I would recommend the Ibanez RG370L, its a very nice guitar. And once you have money just switch the tremolo for an Edge Pro.

i dont think the edge pro is a direct fit. there would be some cutting or chopping if he were to swap the trems
Quote by azn_guitarist25
how much you willing to spend? what music do you play? what amp do you have now?

im hoping to stay under £300, so about 250 would be nice,(because its only my second) and at the moment im using a marshall mg15dfx combo and i play mainly metal(metallica etc)
Last edited by yellowlizard at Jun 4, 2006,
oh can i just say that i joined these forums this morning and the two threads that ive made hve both been replied to quickly and with helpful posts so i just want to congratulate everyone on making what seems to be a great community!
Quote by yellowlizard
oh can i just say that i joined these forums this morning and the two threads that ive made hve both been replied to quickly and with helpful posts so i just want to congratulate everyone on making what seems to be a great community!

Yea..it won't be long until you find that you can never leave here..
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Prestige
Custom Made Electric
Oscar Shmidt OE-30 w/ Bigsby
Ibanez V70cent Electric Acoustic
Carlo Robelli CW4110 Acoustic

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Boss DD-3
Boss PH-3
Quote by yellowlizard
im hoping to stay under £300, so about 250 would be nice,(because its only my second) and at the moment im using a marshall mg15dfx combo and i play mainly metal(metallica etc)

hmm... im saying for you to get a better amp as the distortion on the mg isnt that crushing. try and get a roland cube as they are more suited to metal
Quote by azn_guitarist25
hmm... im saying for you to get a better amp as the distortion on the mg isnt that crushing. try and get a roland cube as they are more suited to metal

k ill check it out man, thanks
why are you doing this to me!! it looks like a great guitar but it looks exactly the same as mine(body does anyway) and i was kinda looking for something a bit different but i do love that neck.
guys i feel bad now for making you guys do what i should be doing myself so forget it
I'm a lefty too, so I can feel your pain

Personally I had no problem finding my perfect guitar...I got the last brand new Gibson SG in Ebony there was in the warehouse in Canada. It cost about 350 more than a righty so naturally leftys are always going to be screwed in that regard.
gibson makes guitars that have equal cutaways so you could get one and switsh the pins and tuning. might work.
That's what you lefties get for being freaks! FREAAAAAAKS! You should have no problem with using a foreign-market guitar. Instrument cables and such are universal. And looking on MF, Schecter seem to have some very reasonably priced lefty guitars, definitly worth checking out.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Get a righty guitar. I'm lefty, and that's what I play. i find strumming/picking with my right hand a lot easier then fretting with my right hand.
Quote by Spamwise
Get a righty guitar. I'm lefty, and that's what I play. i find strumming/picking with my right hand a lot easier then fretting with my right hand.

Or you pull a Hendrix.
Quote by SlipAway

Yea..it won't be long until you find that you can never leave here..

One of us....One of us....

Anyway, for that amount you aren't going to find much. I suggest saving a while, then buying a nice 50w tube amp and a really nice guitar.

I've seen how hard of a time lefty's have with finding guitars...I'm glad I'm right handed.

What about an Epi LP? They have quite a few left handed models...
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by mr_hankey
Or you pull a Hendrix.

he wasn't amazing because he played a left handed guitar, he was amazing because he spent literally almost all of his time playing. (he slept with his guitar in his bed.)
Quote by Spamwise

yeah but ive already been playing for a while and it might be too far to go back now!
Quote by Spamwise
he wasn't amazing because he played a left handed guitar, he was amazing because he spent literally almost all of his time playing. (he slept with his guitar in his bed.)

What's your point?
Quote by Spamwise

I think what Hankey meant was taking a right handed guitar, buying a left-handed guitar nut and replacing the strings upside down, such that it can then be played as a left handed guitar.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Quote by invisible_man
I think what Hankey meant was taking a right handed guitar, buying a left-handed guitar nut and replacing the strings upside down, such that it can then be played as a left handed guitar.

ohhhhh..my bad, heh.
If you take a righty guitar and string it up lefty, you'll get a unique tone because of the wway the pickups are configured. At least I think you do. If all else fails, just get a righty guitar.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
check out Schecter's guitars. just about every model they have is available for us lefty's....
i love Schecters..... and their guitars are very cheap for great quality. check em out. www.schecterguitars.com
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
Quote by Ostin
check out Schecter's guitars. just about every model they have is available for us lefty's....
i love Schecters..... and their guitars are very cheap for great quality. check em out. www.schecterguitars.com

cheers ill check them out, although im seriously consideringstarting to play righty and im currently weighing up the pros and cons!
could some of you guys post on if you think it would be a good idea?
im not an amazing lefty player anyway!
Couldn't you just flip the guitar like Hendrix but just restring the guitar backwards so the strings are just like a right handed one?

Wouldn't doing this be exactly like a left handed guitar?
Gibson SG Special Faded

Vox Valvetronix AD15VT Amp

Squier Acoustic starter pack
Quote by Sundayhawthorne
Couldn't you just flip the guitar like Hendrix but just restring the guitar backwards so the strings are just like a right handed one?

Wouldn't doing this be exactly like a left handed guitar?

yeah but i dont have a clue how to swithc the pins(tone etc) and many guitars arent symetrical so it would look like s**t!