Hey guys,

I think I've got a wee problem with my picking hand technique. I've been playing for several years and have been steadily progressing, but I've reached a bit of a plateau which I think may be due to bad picking hand technique...

I hold my pick with my thumb on one side and both my index and middle finger on the other (like as James Hetfield, I believe) and when playing more precise lead lines (when not thrashing chords essentially hehe) I rest my pinky finger on the other side of the high E string, slightly arched over.

Will this hamper my playing in the future? Is it a bad habit? What is good right-hand technique?

Thanks.
nah, i dont think it will...i do the same thing and its never affected my playing
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Hetfield holds the pick like that? That's wierd. You should try picking holding the pick with one thumb on one side and only one finger on the other side and rest your pinky and ring finger on the pick guard. it should be easier.
Quote by daver869
Hetfield holds the pick like that? That's wierd. You should try picking holding the pick with one thumb on one side and only one finger on the other side and rest your pinky and ring finger on the pick guard. it should be easier.

van halen and jimmy page held there picks like the thread starter stated. i also do it sometimes...

shouldn't affect anything.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
yaeh...and you cant say eddie didnt play precise leads, just keep pushing urself and you shoould pass this plateau of sorts
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

I think there are a lot of threads discussing this topic. I can say already now that it isn't good to hold pick with three fingers.
Ah ok fair enough... I just find it makes it hard to do things such as tremolo picking...
I've definately seen Slash rest his fingers on the strings and I do it a lot of the time too, especially while fingerpicking, so I doubt it would make any difference
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve
Framus FR-212 Cab (Celestion Vintage 30's)

Dunlop Crybaby

Started playing May 28th 2005
^It does make a difference, really. Resting the fingers on strings - when not palm muting - is anchoring and that's bad. As much as I like Slash, he has lousy technique and you shouldn't imitate him.

Freepower posted those links. These things should be discussed there.