This might be a stupid question, considering I have been playing for a while now.
I have a Marshall MGDFX50 (I think it's a good amp, although a lot of people think it sucks). I was wondering If I could put and head with the amp. I don't know what the power and sound would be like putting a head over a small 50watt amp. I don't have the money now, I was just wondering if it was possible.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
"Head" is the actualy amp. You would connect a head to a cabinet in order to have a full amp. A combo amp is what you have and that is where the speakers and amp are in the same cabinet. If you plugged a head into the cabinet both would most likely end up ruined.
and if you dont ruin both you will for sure ruin the combo. . .see its like this
VOLUME is very important here
your shreddin through the head(pay attention to the volume) ->(this is the combo)and you have this turned up also->because your trying to amplify an amp through another amp it will distort it heavily

i have heard it too i used to do it then i found a cab on ebay for 200$ a 5150!
setup:
Jackson ke-3
Peavey supreme 100

Quote by Archaon
if I ever see a greenday kid throwing up the horns while listening to greenday, I'm going to have to kick his ass. I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to throw up the horns, just not to greenday.
a few things:

how manyhigh end amps have you played in comparison to the MG. then you'll see why we dislike it. even compared to amps it's price (vox valvetronix, roland cube, ect.)

but seeing as that's not the point of this thread i'll spare you the lecture.

can you connect a head to a combo? well, yes and no. it depends on how you're connecting it.

if you mean going from the speaker out of the head into the input of the MG, no. stuff will go boom.

but, depeding on how the MG is wired, if the speaker is connected to the head via speaker cable, then you can unplug the MG part, and use it's speaker. but if the speaker is soldered to the amp, like most smaller ss combos, then no.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
a few things:

how manyhigh end amps have you played in comparison to the MG. then you'll see why we dislike it. even compared to amps it's price (vox valvetronix, roland cube, ect.)

but seeing as that's not the point of this thread i'll spare you the lecture.

can you connect a head to a combo? well, yes and no. it depends on how you're connecting it.

if you mean going from the speaker out of the head into the input of the MG, no. stuff will go boom.

but, depeding on how the MG is wired, if the speaker is connected to the head via speaker cable, then you can unplug the MG part, and use it's speaker. but if the speaker is soldered to the amp, like most smaller ss combos, then no.

is that the good part or the bad part
yes you can when i bought my mgdfx100 you can use the amp as a head but you need to by a cab for it which will then (i think) disable the speaker in the combo....but if u want something more powerful i would just buy a whole new amp as a half stack.......
azn - , i suppose it's a mixed blessing?

prsmarshallmg - no he wants to go from a new head directly into the combo. and i give it a month till you want a new username.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile