Hey guys, I'm starting to get into theory much more than I used to be. I understand all of the formulas for scales and modes, etc, but my question is this: How do you go about learning/memorizing/applying these scales?

Is it just PURE memorization of the formulas?

Also, what would be the best way to practice the scales/modes? Any certain order, etc?

Help is much appreciated.
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Well, most musicians know the formulas from the top of their head (which helps with improvisation), but the formulas and intervals are logical.

Generally, when i practice my scales, i practice them in their box shapes, which i only do to warm up. Then after that i would probably try some of the warm ups that mark tremonti uses, using modes.

What do you want to apply modes too?
Been away, am back
Just my everyday improvisational skills and the like. I want to be able to comfortably create the sound of each mode on command. For example, when I want that eerie type sound, I want to be able to use the Locrian mode on hand, or when I want that more major/happy sound, I want to be able to use the Mixolydian on command, without having to think about formulas, etc

I know there is no "easy" way out, but I just wanted some advice on effectively learning them.
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Well, thats going to take time and effort im sure others can explain this better than I can.
But using modes to create the sound your after involves alot of other theory. How two notes go hand in hand with each other, about how to recognise what makes that mode unique and emphasizing those notes.

Theres a thread i made about harmonic and melodic modes and corwinoid explains some of these things.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369590
Been away, am back
best way of playing modes is to learn your major scale all over the fretboard, the generally modes will follow because you use them with the emphasis on different starting notes