i dont want to sound like a total newb, but i have a sereos debateable question. Metalcore and Nu-Metal Are not true subgenres of metal, this is due to the fact that they have a element of either Hardcore, or rap. Another thing that bothered me lately is that Thrash metal origonated from heavy metal and a element of Hardcore punk.

Now i know for a fact thats true, and i am just wondering y thrash is considered "true" metal altho it doesnt have a pure metal elements, and why metalcore or nu-metal isnt

If you are thinking "Thrash metal doesnt have hardcore punk influences" then you are retarded because it does, and i have a quote from wikapedia "Thrash metal is a subgenre of heavy metal music, The origins of thrash metal are generally traced to the late 1970s and early 1980s, when a number of bands began incorporating the sound of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal with elements of hardcore punk"

now i dont want to be flamed, i just either want to be corrected on my stupidity, or have a formal debate
maybe its because thrash really doesnt sound anything like punk. IMO it doesnt, but then again im not a big thrash fan.
and metalcore has direct hardcore influences (breakdowns, screaming vocals) and nu-metal has direct rap influences like actual rap songs. to me, thrash really doesnt sound anything like hardcore punk
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
Last edited by Bodom_Shredder7 at Jun 4, 2006,
I think that thrash is true metal because every genre of music was created in inspiration of another type of music. Thats like saying there isn't a true rock n' roll cause it takes parts of jazz.
Hello Mr. Gien........
Yeah, but it depends on the sound is more metalish och punkish?
If you listen to the Reign in Blood record by Slayer, can you honestly say that that is NOT metal? The thing they used from Hardcore punk is the speed and drums, but then the heavy and dark mix comes from MEEEEETAAAAAALLLLLL.... In other words, Thrash Metal rules, and Thrash is ****ing metal...
Quote by reallyiamsmart
I think that thrash is true metal because every genre of music was created in inspiration of another type of music. Thats like saying there isn't a true rock n' roll cause it takes parts of jazz.

but im asking y thrash is true and y nu-metal and metalcore isnt
Quote by Dlawso
Yeah, but it depends on the sound is more metalish och punkish?
If you listen to the Reign in Blood record by Slayer, can you honestly say that that is NOT metal? The thing they used from Hardcore punk is the speed and drums, but then the heavy and dark mix comes from MEEEEETAAAAAALLLLLL.... In other words, Thrash Metal rules, and Thrash is ****ing metal...

yes but have u heard shadows falls "A Fire In Babylon" Thats also metal, im not tryting to say that thrash isnt true, im trying to understand y metalcore and nu-metal are NOT true
(I think) you raise a valuable point. I would also like to know, as it does confuse me with some of these bands (not all) why they are not metal, when they sound pretty metallish to me. Sure they may have other influences, but still sound pretty ingrained in metal.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
its hard to explain what im trying to prove. my basic point is that im not trying to bring down thrash, im asking y a metal genre (metalcore or nu-metal) isnt true metal when mixed with another genre, BUT thrash metals was created due to a mixed with another genre. im not trying to debate y thrash is true or not, im trying to debate y Metalcore and Nu-metal are not true
Quote by loonyguitarist
(I think) you raise a valuable point. I would also like to know, as it does confuse me with some of these bands (not all) why they are not metal, when they sound pretty metallish to me. Sure they may have other influences, but still sound pretty ingrained in metal.

im glad someone agrees with me lol
Yup, however, I can see a flaming coming on
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by loonyguitarist
Yup, however, I can see a flaming coming on

lol same, but i belive its worth the arguement
Quote by l.MetalHead.l
but im asking y thrash is true and y nu-metal and metalcore isnt

I still think that metalcore and nu metal are real metal..just subgenres that people seem to not like because its not like the classic metal style. It's kids goin out and making their own sound. And some people aren't used to it.
Hello Mr. Gien........
Thrash only really takes its speed from hardcore punk, the vast majority of the sound comes from heavy metal (NWOBHM mostly). This is why we have crossover (Nuclear Assault/Municipal Waste etc), which is probably half and half hardcore and metal, and therefore allowed in both forums. Metalcore however only really borrows solos and copious distortion from metal, by and large its influences lie in American Hardcore like Throwdown/Hatebreed etc. Nu Metal doesn't really borrow anything from metal, the only thing in common is downtuned guitars.

There are bands that blur the line (Lamb Of God/Shadows Fall) but the ovewhelming majority of metalcore doesn't share as much with metal as most people would think.