Okay, I've thought about this question for so long, and couldn't make up my mind.

What makes a great lead singer, someone who is charasmatic and only has a mediocre/bad vocal quality. But woould get up on stage, and say or do anything for the sake of the band and entertainment

Or...Someone who is really shy, and not really that charasmatic either, but can sing their ass off.

It would be for someone in a rock band, of any genre.

Remember that Lou Reed (velvet undergroud) had an excellent music career, and he can't sing at all.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Think like this, do you prefer to watch Zack De La Rocha sing, or do you like any American Idol guy best? Yes, very diferent styles, but you get the point.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Good point, but ZacK raps, so that makes up for the so called "vocal quality." Think of someone like Johnny Rotten, he can't really sing, but he's got alot of charisma, and can get on stage, and well...he'll say anything

Oh, and sorry, I didn't really know where I was supposed to post this?

Last edited by rhymeswith suck at Jun 4, 2006,
True, Zack is an really awesome singer, one of the best from the nineties. But to me, performance, singing what you believe in, is much more important than having great vocal technique like some opera singer. Some voices just sound better to their style than others. But thats just me.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Look at Kurt Cobain or Ozzy. Neither of them had/has a particularly good voice, but they've sold millions more records than any American Idol/Pop Idol could ever hope to. I think its songs and lryics that sell, the ability to really reach out and communicate to someone, rather than the bland, "perfect" voices and predicable song-writing of the rest of the music industry
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
But even someone on american Idol has a bit of charisma to get up on national TV, as much as that show sucks. But think of someone who has to be forced to sing, or doesn't move around alot on stage, but the quality of their vocals, say in the studio, is unbelievable. This si the scenario that my band is facing right now, we're trying to find a lead singer. It's kind of like: Voice vs. Charisma.