Hi Everyone,

I understand the basic concept of Power Chords, but I'm not completely comfortable with it yet. Where can I find a good primer/tutorial on Power Chords? I read the one somewhere on these forums, but I struggled to understand it. Any ideas?

Fanx,
Seq
Once the game is over, the King and the Pawn go back in the same box..
hmmm the concept is simple... im sure anyone on these forums could help you with it.
your new to guitar im guessing, therefore... probably new to the forum. just ask around, most of us are nice so ask us what problems you have.
Check the join date, I'd say he's new to the forums, rawrock, wouldn't you?

I don't know of anything power chords that isn't basics, to be honest. Play a bangload of punk until you get the feel for em.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I've been playing for about 7 months now, but I'm new to these forums, as you guessed.

I can play power chords, problem is, i don't know what fret = what pitch. I like my capo and I usually play by ear, so I'm not familiar with the pitches. E.g: If I play an E Barre Shape with my index finger on the first fret, what note is it?

Geez, I'm hope I'm making some sense, hehe..

Seq
Quote by Sequ3L
I've been playing for about 7 months now, but I'm new to these forums, as you guessed.

I can play power chords, problem is, i don't know what fret = what pitch. I like my capo and I usually play by ear, so I'm not familiar with the pitches. E.g: If I play an E Barre Shape with my index finger on the first fret, what note is it?

Geez, I'm hope I'm making some sense, hehe..

Seq

OH!!!!! Okay, I get what you're saying. That makes WAY more sense now that you're being specific. In your example it's F.

This is a quick one to learn. Every fret is worth a half-step, so if you're familiar to music at all, and/or play piano, you can figure it out from there. Otherwise, find a lesson somewhere on it, but I can't say I'm sure what I'd search for....

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Lessons are too expensive, I can't afford it right now..
Sequ3L, your sig is incredible, just thought I'd let you know.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

with the e barre shape on the first fret it would be an F. Thats because the pitch increases chromatically, so 2nd fret would be F sharp, 3rd fret G, 4th G sharp etc. Learn the notes on the E and A string to work out the pitch of the power chords
Quote by Pete Griffin
with the e barre shape on the first fret it would be an F. Thats because the pitch increases chromatically, so 2nd fret would be F sharp, 3rd fret G, 4th G sharp etc. Learn the notes on the E and A string to work out the pitch of the power chords

With that in mind (and my lack of anything to do) I'ma make a table of it, so you don't have to look it up.
0| 1 | 2 |3| 4 |5| 6 |7|8| 9 |10|11|12
A| Bb|B |C|Db|D|Eb|E|F|Gb|G|Ab|A
E| F|Gb|G|Ab|A|Bb|B|C|Db|D|Eb|E

If that ends up all gross looking I'll edit it...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
Sequ3L, your sig is incredible, just thought I'd let you know.

Fanx SteveHouse

Quote by Pete Griffin
with the e barre shape on the first fret it would be an F. Thats because the pitch increases chromatically, so 2nd fret would be F sharp, 3rd fret G, 4th G sharp etc. Learn the notes on the E and A string to work out the pitch of the power chords.

I get what you're saying Pete, thanks for the help
Quote by SteveHouse
With that in mind (and my lack of anything to do) I'ma make a table of it, so you don't have to look it up.
0| 1 | 2 |3| 4 |5| 6 |7|8| 9 |10|11|12
A| Bb|B |C|Db|D|Eb|E|F|Gb|G|Ab|A
E| F|Gb|G|Ab|A|Bb|B|C|Db|D|Eb|E

If that ends up all gross looking I'll edit it...

See now that makes perfect sense, that's exactly what I was looking for! Fanx!
Quote by Sequ3L
See now that makes perfect sense, that's exactly what I was looking for! Fanx!

No problem. I had to do that one day..

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
I don't know of anything power chords that isn't basics, to be honest. Play a bangload of punk until you get the feel for em.

punk or pop punk are the best way to learn em without being taught.... I pretty much played Green Day to get a feel for power chords... ive been reading a book called 'Guitar On Tap' by Joe Bennett...helped me a treat on EVERYTHING!
Power Chords

Power chords are a harmonic interval of a perfect 5th. They are neither minor nor major in their tonality. They are not really chords, as chords are 3 or more notes played simultaneously. A power chord only has 2 (root and 5th), which makes it an interval. Power chords are written in a progression as _5, named after their root note. For example, a D power chord would be written as D5.

Power chords are formed by taking the root and 5th (scale degrees 1 and 5) of the root note's major scale. For example, a C power chord:

..Note: C D E F G A B C
Degree: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1
........*.......*.....*

The first and 5th notes are those that comprise a power chord. Therefore, a C power chord is the notes C and G played simultaneously - no more, and no less. You may include octaves of these notes as you see fit to give different sounds to the power chords.

Some common shapes to play power chords are as follows:
e|-----------3--3-------------3--3--------------6-----6----|
B|--------3--3--3-------------x--x--------6--6--6--6--6-6--|
G|--------x--x--0-----5-----5-5--5--5--5--5--5--3--3--3-3--|
D|-----5--5--5--0--5--5--5--5-5--5--3--3--3--3--3-------3--|
A|--5--5--5--5--x--3--3--3--3-3--3-----3--3----------------|
E|--3--3--3--3--3--3--3----------3-------------------------|
....G5.............C5...............F5..........Bb5.........

G5 is notes G D
C5 is notes C G
F5 is notes F C
Bb5 is notes Bb F

-SD
Then of course you can get into moving around just the root or just the 5th, and can get some unique sounds that aren't power chords but feel like them.

e-------------------------------------------------------------
B-------------------------------------------------------------
G-------------------------------------------------------------
D--9--9--10-10-9--9--7--7--5--5--7--7--5--5--4--4-----
A--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--5--5------
E-------------------------------------------------------------

for example.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa