I am thinking of getting a new bass but i'm not sure which bass i should get. I started last summer and i already learned a lot on my (crappy) fender squier. My friend told me i should get an ibanez. what do you guys recommend?
If you are used to a squier, then your better off upgrading to a proper fender, such as a jazz bass or p-bass....... i went for the jazz bass =] its sexual

But honestly, its down to the music you play and how you play it. Go to a music store and check them out. I recommend that you do NOT purchase a gibson bass, as they really are over priced, too heavy and the look pig-ugly..... plus they are unpopular (how many famous bassists play gibsons??? haha they all play fenders =])
No matter what your budget is, look into a highway 1 fender. I like it better than my custom shop!
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
^Mines a jazz in daphne blue. bought it today!

custom shop is overrated.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Should've got a P in crimson transparent

Anyway yeah they're damn good at what they do but that's really all they can do, not terribly versatile. I'm buying either a MM Stingray or a MM Bongo in three weeks.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Jazzes are cooler

And I like the girly-ass blue.

Hey threadstarter. Buy this one^

I have been playing bass for a few years now, and no bass has felt more comfortable to me than my Washburn XB-100. its deffinately a starter bass but it feels good. even when i went to Spokane Washington for a basketball state tournament, I played my washburn and the camera guy liked it so much, we (the pep band) were aired on NBC and even played on the NBC morning show Live because of the sound that the bass gave the band. buy one, you can find one on musicians friend, which comes with a amp and all that crap, but it only costs like $150.

either that or a Fender Jazz bass
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

ok so i'm guessing i should get a fender jazz bass. Oh and the kind of music i play is mostly hard rock and metal. Sometimes i play some funk.
like I said, I play every kind of music... XB-100 or Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

what are good basses that have a nice clean sound and has a nice sound when you slap and pop? i'm looking for something like that. and the cost could be from $300- $900.
what kind of squier do you have?if you're gonna get a fender, get whatever feels comfortable to you. oh, and you should get an ibanez for hard-funk-metal-rock music, and, IMO, they own.
that's what my friend told me. he said that i should get a ibanez. But a lot of people are saying a jazz fender. But i am looking for a good bass to have a good sound for metal, hard rock, and funk.
Quote by sk8erbassist666
ok so i'm guessing i should get a fender jazz bass. Oh and the kind of music i play is mostly hard rock and metal. Sometimes i play some funk.

Hard Rock- Go for the J, RATM's Bass player and Led Zep's use a J. I play hard rock, and I (obviously) play a J.
Metal- I've heard P, but i think a J would Do Just Fine
Funk- Not Sure
Check ebay for 'em. A lot of cool discontinued colours.

It all depends on the type of music and style you play. If you play metal stuff like Metallica than a 4 string is all you need. If you play stuff like Dream Theater your going to need a 5 or preferably a 6 string.
You should also look into the Ibanez Soundgear and Schecter basses. Fender Jazz basses are good but not great.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
Hey, I decided to use this thread...

What do Thunderbirds play like? Are they worth buying? ...

I just love the look of them, lol. I want to check one out.
Schecterman's Accomplice, of the Schecter Stiletto Players Will Rule The World Club. PM Fett13 or Your41Plague12 to join.

EQ:
Schecter Stiletto Extreme 5
Yamaha RBX170
Quote by metalstillsucks
Jazzes are cooler

And I like the girly-ass blue.

Hey threadstarter. Buy this one^

since when were there daphne blue jazz basses? i was lookin for this girly colour when there was a sale..and all they had aws that ugly blue