Page 1 of 2
ok im looking for a kickass head right now thats not horrible on my budget

imn looking at those 2 amps (Peavey 6505+ or a B-52 AT-100)

i mainly play modern metal: neo-classical, death, grindcore, thrash

but i play clean somtimes too (but the distortion is way more important)
is the peavey worth the extra money over the b-52

EDIT: and can you suggest somthing that has pretty much the same sound/features as these under $1000 USD
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Last edited by numbfinger at Jun 4, 2006,
i found a 5150 combo for 850...but i dont have that money right now and it might get sold by the time i will...i loved that effing amp too

and the 6506 im looking is the plus one....would the 5150 still be good enough...im kinda a gain *****...i always want more

but i was looking new cuz i doubt id find a used 5150 thats "new" enough

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by numbfinger
i found a 5150 combo for 850...but i dont have that money right now and it might get sold by the time i will...i loved that effing amp too

and the 6506 im looking is the plus one....would the 5150 still be good enough...im kinda a gain *****...i always want more

but i was looking new cuz i doubt id find a used 5150 thats "new" enough

Uh, what do you mean?

If you're getting a 6505+ get a 5150II, same thing.

There are plenty of 5150s out there that are in great condition. If youre really worried about it get one with beat up tolex and re-cover it so it IS in 'new' condition. Save yourself $400 and have a 'new' amp with alittle bit of effort.

EDIT:

If you were a gain ***** you'd be buying a powerball.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Uh, what do you mean?

If you're getting a 6505+ get a 5150II, same thing.

There are plenty of 5150s out there that are in great condition. If youre really worried about it get one with beat up tolex and re-cover it so it IS in 'new' condition. Save yourself $400 and have a 'new' amp with alittle bit of effort.

EDIT:

If you were a gain ***** you'd be buying a powerball.

well...im gain ***** that dosnt have that kind of money lol

but i didnt even there was a 5150II so yeah ill look on ebay or somthing

but would 850 be good for the 5150 combo (2x12)
its in really good condition

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
eh. it would be reasonable.

The 5150II just has an extra EQ for the lead channel and also has an extra 12ax7 tube for the crunch channel to give it more gain (so it has almost as much as the lead )
yeah i perferd the lead over crunch

so would the 5150 be my best bet right now...im poor and my other amp broke and i need a new one quick

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
well turned down they dont have the gain of the 5150s i know that^^^

but i thik i need too wait a few weeks but i should ask if i can put the 5150 on a layaway type of thing so no one buys it

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by llanafreak44
whyre B-52's so bad?

They're not. I've been looking into an AT-100 also, the review on musiciansfriend.com and harmony-central.com really aren't bad at all.

It's just that, when compared to a peavey 6505, they suck. heh.

If you DO get an AT-100 though, make sure to change out the tubes.
well i dont think im gunna get the B-52 if i know they suck caompiared to somthing only about 300 dollars more expensive

EDIT: and if i can get the 5150 for about 50 to 100 dallors more than the at-100 head then ima get the better one

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by numbfinger
ok im looking for a kickass head right now thats not horrible on my budget

imn looking at those 2 amps (Peavey 6505+ or a B-52 AT-100)

i mainly play modern metal: neo-classical, death, grindcore, thrash

but i play clean somtimes too (but the distortion is way more important)
is the peavey worth the extra money over the b-52

EDIT: and can you suggest somthing that has pretty much the same sound/features as these under $1000 USD

Yeah man I went though the exact same thing. The B-52 SUCKED for metal. Im so glad I went for the 5150. I think you should get it as well. you will regret buying a b-52 trust me.
My Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Ernie Ball's Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Strings
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960A Cab
Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Jesus ****ing christ. With a tube change B-52 kicks major ass. They have a great tone, lots of low end and are clear, not muddy or grainy at all. They don't have a huge amount of gain but I used a DS-1 with mine and it's really great, considering the price. I'm sure the 5150 has better heavy tones but the B-52 has great cleans that don't break up, just like the JSX, and with a boost get really heavy.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Quote by JimiMan1535
Jesus ****ing christ. With a tube change B-52 kicks major ass. They have a great tone, lots of low end and are clear, not muddy or grainy at all. They don't have a huge amount of gain but I used a DS-1 with mine and it's really great, considering the price. I'm sure the 5150 has better heavy tones but the B-52 has great cleans that don't break up, just like the JSX, and with a boost get really heavy.

well tubes are about 150 and an overdrive that i like is another 150..so the sticker of the the b-52 700 and an extra 300 for upgrades and the extra work

thats pretty muich the same as the 6505.......is it worth the extra work for the b-52

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Go with a used 5150. If you want to sacrifice some of that gain, go with a 5150II. You'll get better cleans (if you use them) and an independent EQ. But if you're not using cleans at all, go ahead and get a 5150.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
well i use clean but a few pedals will make it not sound soo.....thin

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Well i just bought the B-52 and i have to tell you it ****ing rocks.. It has a Tri-Mode system in witch you can swtich from Tube A, Tube AB1, and Solid State.. The B-52 is so metal i cant even explain it.. It's based of the Mesa Boogie Mark IV, and the Krank Krankenstien.. This amp is by far the best tube amp you can get under 750 dollars.. But if you do play all this metal and death metal a Krank krankenstin would be best.. But those are 1100 dollar amps.. Inever played on a Peavy Head, the one your talking about so i cant compare the two, but im telling that this is an excelant amp.. go to a guitar center and play on one.. you never know unless you play on both of them..
Chase R. Wilson

Scecter Damien 6

Randall RH200 G2 200 Watt (practice)

B-52 AT-100 w/ Tri-Mode Rectifier

Custom cab w/ 4 12'' Eminence Texas Heat 16's

Korg Toneworks AX1500G

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
i forgot to ad that the distortion are amazing.. Tube A is a more mellow rock/hard rock sound, the Tube AB is more metal.. though a lighter metal.. But the Solid State setting is where you will find the mest bone crushing metal distortion on the amp.. i literally had to bow down after playing this amp.. its so godly..
Chase R. Wilson

Scecter Damien 6

Randall RH200 G2 200 Watt (practice)

B-52 AT-100 w/ Tri-Mode Rectifier

Custom cab w/ 4 12'' Eminence Texas Heat 16's

Korg Toneworks AX1500G

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
^^^Yup, I have to agree with the emo dude.

I picked up this amp not too long ago and even without the tube change it is still great. The cleans are great and it can get pretty heavy. Not as heavy as a 5150 or 6505 but it works. The cleans are great. They are a lot better than the 5150 series IMO. I think that I would just get a B-52 and retube it. It should be able to get heavy enough for you.

Also, they have a 5 year warranty on them. That will cover everything but tubes. Just like emo said, you can change which type of rectifier you are using. The first 2 settings are tube rectos and the third is a SS recto. Tube A is like a Marshall, Tube AB is a little tighter and more modern sounding. Solid state is the tightest sounding of them all. I didn't really like the SS setting as much as the tube settings. I tend to use AB most of the time and A for more classic rock stuff.

There are 2 channels but the second channel acts as 2 gain channels. The gain channel has a countour knob so that you can change from scooped metal on one Gain setting to classic rock on the other.

I would go with the B-52 because you are going to get a great amp for the money and it has a great warranty. You will never have to worry about anything for 5 years. You won't have the 5150 on the front of the amp but you will still have great sound. If you are only going to be playing METAL METAL METAL, then go with the Peavey 5150 or 6505 series but if you want super versatility, go with the B-52. I chose the B-52 because I play anything from blues and classic rock to hardcore and metal.

Good luck with your purchase.
Ah, thats the exact opposite of everything I hear.

I've had a couple people try to trade me their B-52 halfstacks for my 5150 half stack, I didn't really like the idea. A couple of guys even went and tried to sell em so they could buy a different amp. I duno what to say.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Ah, thats the exact opposite of everything I hear.

I've had a couple people try to trade me their B-52 halfstacks for my 5150 half stack, I didn't really like the idea. A couple of guys even went and tried to sell em so they could buy a different amp. I duno what to say.

Reviews on Harmony Central are all pretty much 9's and 10's. The 5150 is a really nice amp, but pretty much a Metal amp. The B-52 is a lot more versatile. The only real problem I have heard much about is the Reverb. But, the warranty covers any of that.
Quote by jmac72187
Reviews on Harmony Central are all pretty much 9's and 10's. The 5150 is a really nice amp, but pretty much a Metal amp. The B-52 is a lot more versatile. The only real problem I have heard much about is the Reverb. But, the warranty covers any of that.

Harmony central isnt the best, and reviews are based upon the owner. Put it into perspective, a cheap halfstack might get rave reviews if it has a bunch of bargain shoppers or people who wouldn't nessicarily know the difference.

Personally I know I'd take the 5150, I know exactly how versitile it is (just as much as the B-52, imo.) and the cleans on either amp are less than spectacular. My ex-bandmate had a B-52, traded his recto in for it, I didn't like it at all.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Harmony central isnt the best, and reviews are based upon the owner. Put it into perspective, a cheap halfstack might get rave reviews if it has a bunch of bargain shoppers or people who wouldn't nessicarily know the difference.

Personally I know I'd take the 5150, I know exactly how versitile it is (just as much as the B-52, imo.) and the cleans on either amp are less than spectacular. My ex-bandmate had a B-52, traded his recto in for it, I didn't like it at all.

Retube it with some JJ's. From what I hear it becomes leaps and bounds better than it already is. Cleans become great and the overall tone is just better. I wouldn't trade a recto for one though.
Go with the 5150, if you haven't already.

I picked up a used first-year combo that had a broken mid knob, and the standard wear-and-tear for $350. The tubes were supposed to be 6 months old, but were microphonic, so it cost me $85 from Eurotubes for a retube, and the 5150's are cold-biased and therefore plug-and-play when replacing tubes, so it's a damn nice amp for around $440.

Oh, and about B-52s:

When I first tried them at guitar center, both heads I wanted to try were defective. Though nothing of it. I ordered 3, YES THREE, defective heads from musiciansfriend before I gave up and bought a dsl100 half stack :P. And from what I heard from mine, sounded like a decent clean w/ solid state distortion. My 5 cents.
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Jun 6, 2006,
Quote by jmac72187
Retube it with some JJ's. From what I hear it becomes leaps and bounds better than it already is. Cleans become great and the overall tone is just better. I wouldn't trade a recto for one though.

Well if you were gonna retube it you could just as easily retube the 5150 and viola, an even more kickass amp =o
Well basically price wise, we are comparing two different things. The B-52 new is only $700 and the 5150 or 6505, whatever, is more than $1100. We are all comparing the 5150 used to the B-52 used. Not a fair comparison. If you were looking for a new amp in that price range, get the B-52. If you were looking for a used, get the 5150. Different benefits for the money.
Quote by jmac72187
Well basically price wise, we are comparing two different things. The B-52 new is only $700 and the 5150 or 6505, whatever, is more than $1100. We are all comparing the 5150 used to the B-52 used. Not a fair comparison. If you were looking for a new amp in that price range, get the B-52. If you were looking for a used, get the 5150. Different benefits for the money.

well i was asking for a those two and any other great amp heads under about 1000 both those fall under this

i think ill get the 5150 and tube it with some JJs and if i cant get it then a at-100 and retube that badboy with JJs

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
At that point you might as well buy something like an ENGL.

For the buck, you can't honestly beat a 5150 (not 6505, gotta remember 5150s are used) for most tones.

anything that automatically needs a retube is something you should stay away from just for the sake of not having to throw away an extra $100-$200 in tubes.
Quote by jmac72187
^^^Yup, I have to agree with the emo dude.

I picked up this amp not too long ago and even without the tube change it is still great. The cleans are great and it can get pretty heavy. Not as heavy as a 5150 or 6505 but it works. The cleans are great. They are a lot better than the 5150 series IMO. I think that I would just get a B-52 and retube it. It should be able to get heavy enough for you.

Also, they have a 5 year warranty on them. That will cover everything but tubes. Just like emo said, you can change which type of rectifier you are using. The first 2 settings are tube rectos and the third is a SS recto. Tube A is like a Marshall, Tube AB is a little tighter and more modern sounding. Solid state is the tightest sounding of them all. I didn't really like the SS setting as much as the tube settings. I tend to use AB most of the time and A for more classic rock stuff.

There are 2 channels but the second channel acts as 2 gain channels. The gain channel has a countour knob so that you can change from scooped metal on one Gain setting to classic rock on the other.

I would go with the B-52 because you are going to get a great amp for the money and it has a great warranty. You will never have to worry about anything for 5 years. You won't have the 5150 on the front of the amp but you will still have great sound. If you are only going to be playing METAL METAL METAL, then go with the Peavey 5150 or 6505 series but if you want super versatility, go with the B-52. I chose the B-52 because I play anything from blues and classic rock to hardcore and metal.

Good luck with your purchase.

and yes i do play.METAL METAL METAL

and metal does have cleans (in flames, Opeth)

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
At that point you might as well buy something like an ENGL.

For the buck, you can't honestly beat a 5150 (not 6505, gotta remember 5150s are used) for most tones.

anything that automatically needs a retube is something you should stay away from just for the sake of not having to throw away an extra $100-$200 in tubes.

the 5150 doesnt NEED the retubeing in talking down the line in 6 months or so....just because its used

adn the b-52 i would get a retube in it cuz id buy the floor model for atleast 100-200 dollars cheaper so a good 500-600 dollar head would be worth it

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by numbfinger
the 5150 doesnt NEED the retubeing in talking down the line in 6 months or so....just because its used

adn the b-52 i would get a retube in it cuz id buy the floor model for atleast 100-200 dollars cheaper so a good 500-600 dollar head would be worth it

Well if its a floor model it'd need a retube anyway..

And you can get used 5150s for that price from ebay not too hard

imo the decision is clear.
think i should try for a 5150 head or combo???this goes out to the halfstack or combo thread.....i will be playing pretty big shows soonish.....(my drummer knows people)

so head or combo?

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by SGloserkid
if your lookin at 5150's and not 6505's

block letter > script

next to the power and stand-by

BLOCK- http://jimosity.tzo.com/Gear/Amps/5150Head_01.jpg

SCRIPT- http://cothc.free.fr/repeeeet-039.jpg

there isnt a difference between the two, man. Most of the stuff about that is all bs, its just the tubes. by now most of the 5150s should have had a tube change I'm pretty sure.

And uh you said something 'bout in flames and Opeth. Both bands have used the 5150 exclusively at one point or another. lots of the swedish metal bands use 5150s... Their cleans are just fine, arent they?

IMO you can get a head and a 2x12 if you're limited on your budget or worried about size/volume. If its not enough you can always upgrade to a 4x12 or full stack without having a gay looking amp AND having to carry a combo = cab around. 5150s are 2x12 combos, too..

IMO you should get a 5150 and a Carvin Legacy 2x12. You should be able to manage that for under $1,100 tops.
B-52 defently kicks ass, there were alot of problems with them with reverb and such, but that was in the 2004/2005 models, none of the late 2005 and now 2006 models are damaged, the guy at guitar center even told me the statistics because i asked about it, he said out of 50/60ish purchases, only 1 was returned, and it wasnt because it was damaged. I own the combo and have had it for about 2 months so far, used it live and outside my house a few times, no problem at all.

On the solid state mode, Its easy to get a heavy tone, I usually play Power Metal, Epic Metal, and Progressive Metal and it nails the tone I need, and with the gain being on only 5-6, so im sure if you push the gain, you can get a nice black/death metal sound. My guitar teacher also tried it out (he's been playing for over 20 years and tours the US playing in a metal band.) and he was able to get a perfect Metallica sound for Ride the Lightening and Orion, he was even able to get the sound he uses for his band from the AT-100, and his rig is over 3,000 dollars. The clean channel is also awesome, very clean and smoothe.

I was looking for a versatile amp, was looking at the peavey jsx, but i wasnt able to find it under 1,000 dollars even on ebay. So i tried the B-52 out in guitar center for about 2-3 hours and got it.

Oh and if you do want the Peavey 5150/6505, check Ebay, I saw a few of the combo's going for 400-500 new, and it wasnt posted at 400-500 expecting to go up, the auction ended at 400-500 dollars
ok the b-52 is ****, the krank krankstein is **** it has very thin solid state sounding distortion the peavey 6505 is deffinatly the way to go. it is one kick ass head. amazing tone very very heavy with great cut through. ill admit the cleans are not to great on it but if you get a super chorus it cleans it right up. deffinatly for what your looking for id recomend the peavey 6505. i made that choice myself and i have never ever regretted it
Gibson Les Paul Standard
1962 Malcolm Young Gretsch
Mesa Dual Rectifier Solo Head
Mesa Dual Rectifier 4x12 Slant Cabinet
Dunlop Cry Baby 535Q wah
Quote by metalhead88
ok the b-52 is ****, the krank krankstein is **** it has very thin solid state sounding distortion the peavey 6505 is deffinatly the way to go. it is one kick ass head. amazing tone very very heavy with great cut through. ill admit the cleans are not to great on it but if you get a super chorus it cleans it right up. deffinatly for what your looking for id recomend the peavey 6505. i made that choice myself and i have never ever regretted it

well.......i cant really trust a guy saying the krankenstien is ****.....lol

but if i get a head im getting a 4X12 cab..id rather spend my money on something i know ill want in a few years..cough(that ****ing POS CRATE!)cough

so now one question left...which Cab...i know what i should go for..(mesa) but i dont have the money
im thinking the cheap b-52 at cab...then in a while get some V30s or greenbacks? good idea?

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Page 1 of 2