Alot of people here have a serious problem with EMG pickups, which is sort of keeping me from buying a schecter. bands like Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold use EMG's sounds amazing (the guitars anyway) but I haven't actually tried any. What's the problem with them?
Dickless.
i didnt know anyone had a problem with EMG's..... actualy i thought most people liked them on this site....

and what shecter you planning to buy? a hellraiser or something? most of the schecters i like use duncans...
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
There is nothing wrong with EMGs. People whine about the cleans, but I think the cleans are amazing.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
yeah u look up almost any thread labeled which pickups shud I get and i guarantee half the responses will be get EMG 81's or EMG blahblahblah
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Alot of people hate them because they have gained a lot of popularity. This is a common theme on UG, so you better get used to it. Same thing with the Spider II amps. No one would have a problem with them if they weren't popular.
ppl only complain about the cleans...but if you want cleans you dont by EMGs to begin with...they are high out put pups....so i really dont have any sympathy for anyone who bitches about them having bad cleans....if you roll the volume back on the pick up and dont use a lotta gain on your amp you can get decent cleans out of them as tom morello has proved on some rage songs....and they also kick ass in high gain situations
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
theyre pretty much only for metal (although the misfits use them! and theyre punk), and have sucky cleans (but that mostly depends on the amp)
theres a lot better pickups out there though
Last edited by Aftter-Forever at Jun 4, 2006,
Ya, people who bitch about the cleans are mislead. It's like saying "I BOUGHT THIS SHOVEL AND IT DOESN'T CUT GRASS AS GOOD AS MY LAWNMOWER!!!1!111"

I admit that you can get much better though.
Man some ppl have no idea EMG 60 cleans are amazing just as good as almost any duncans i have tried
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
^ YEa totally agree 60s have some of the best cleans on any pickup I've ever played. I wish people would stop fadding lol.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Quote by GuitarManiac09
Im pretty sure most people here like EMG's, why did you think they didn't?

Most of the stuff I've read on here says they suck, just output but no good tones. And yes, I was thinking of the hellraiser, but I changed my mind now that I saw they weren't neck-thru's.
Dickless.
I know this is a completely different subject, but since MetalMilitia mentioned it, what do the deffernt neck types mean? I know bolt-on, but whats set-neck, neck-through, ect.

Plus, I have a Spider II, its my practice amp, cause half stacks are too loud. Im a n00b to these forums, so idk what everyones prob is. I love mine
/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
Quote by Dead.Alone
Alot of people hate them because they have gained a lot of popularity. This is a common theme on UG, so you better get used to it. Same thing with the Spider II amps. No one would have a problem with them if they weren't popular.

Well maybe they hate them because they do sound pretty bad. I honestly can't stand playing through one.
Quote by Ostin
i didnt know anyone had a problem with EMG's..... actualy i thought most people liked them on this site....

and what shecter you planning to buy? a hellraiser or something? most of the schecters i like use duncans...

yeah, I've never heard anyone talk bad about EMGs before and the only Schecter I recall that has EMGs in it are the Damien models

EDIT: oh yeah and the Hellraiser model too
Quote by bassmo_part2
Embryodead even if she was the hottest thing on the planet, there are lines you just don't cross and on my side of the line we don't finger our sisters.

Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join
Last edited by longview:) at Jun 4, 2006,
i recently installed the emg 85/81 setup into my jackson dkmg, and i cant get a real clean tone out of the 85. it sounds overdriven, no matter what amp/settings i use. is this what people refer to as the problem with the cleans on emgs? or did i just screw up the installation somehow(grounding, wiring, etc.)?

figured that since this was the latest emg-related thread it'd be a good place to ask
what type of amp do you use? I own a triple XXX, a fairly heavy amp from the get go, and I can manage cleans out of the emg 81 in my BRIDGE, if you have a tube amp make sure you don't have the volume cranked too high(or bad tubes) and try backing off on the volume on the guitar a bit.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Alot of people here have a serious problem with EMG pickups, which is sort of keeping me from buying a schecter. bands like Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold use EMG's sounds amazing (the guitars anyway) but I haven't actually tried any. What's the problem with them?

what amps do they use? what amp do you use? really emg's need to have a tube amp for them to really shine through. also i really dont like emg pickups that much at all.

edit:
Quote by moomoocons
I know this is a completely different subject, but since MetalMilitia mentioned it, what do the deffernt neck types mean? I know bolt-on, but whats set-neck, neck-through, ect.

Plus, I have a Spider II, its my practice amp, cause half stacks are too loud. Im a n00b to these forums, so idk what everyones prob is. I love mine

bolt on: guitars neck is bolted onto the guitars body with screws really.
- advantage is if its properly done its as good as a set neck, also easy to remove if damaged
- disadvantage is that you will most likely have a huge heel in the way.

set neck : guitars neck is glued into the guitar with the neck usually ending at the neck pickup
- advantage is you have a small heel, pretty good sustain
- disadvantage is there not that easy to remove

neck thru : the neck is the middle of the guitars body with two pieces of wood (wings) are attached to either side
- advantage is no heel (usually), and you have *apparently* longest sustain of all neck joints
- disadvantage well one really and thats you cant change the neck if you stuff it up

set thru : this is usually found on some esp guitars. these are a mix of a set neck and a neck thru so the neck extends further into the body and ends either near the bridge or bridge pickup
- advantage is that you could probably get a smaller heel than a set neck
- disadvantage is that you cant really change the neck can you
Last edited by azn_guitarist25 at Jun 6, 2006,