Page 1 of 2
Hey, im making this post because my brother is dumb**** and doesnt know anything amps or guitars. He has very expenive equipment and knows nothing about it. He has a combo Traynor amp and a large cab with 2 massive speakers in it. He has an American strat from the 80s. There alot of stupid things he does with this equipment and he thinks his tone is good. He doesnt believe anything I tell him because im his little bro, so I thought mybe you guys could teach the smart ass a lesson. First of all, He has one or 2 new tubes in his amp but most of them are about 30 years old. If you turn up his amp half way it starts breaking up that early. He doesnt understand that that isnt normal. He also think that old tubes are amazing and have the best quality sound and I try to tell him to replace them cus old ones sound like **** and he cant even tell. His amp sounds like complete ****. Its a beutiful amp and if he knew what to do wiht it he could get great tone. also he hasn't sent it in for any checkups when he got it, theres probably something that needs replacing pots, caps... u know. another thing... He uses a DS-1 through a 1972 Traynor amp.... thats discusting... A DS-1 is what you put through a solidstate 30 watt Fender... He doesnt understand anything about overdrive and I tell him to get a TS-808 but he doesnt listen. anyways if you guys could smarten him up, tell him to listen to me, or give him some advice on what he should do with his stuff, that would be awsome. His guitar needs desperatly to be set up and the truss rod is ****ed and the bridge is ****ed. He has a friken G string where the high e string should be and same with the B string. He says it doesnt affect playability or sound... boy is he a tard face. oh and he also thinks Marshalls are the worst amps ever. ok thanks!
Last edited by Devon8822 at Jun 4, 2006,
His tone is his preference. We can't tell him to not like his tone.

But he should get his amp checked up.

The pedal is a preference thing.

But the strings and guitar... jesus... Does he play in standard? Jesus, 3 G's...

And how is his truss rod and bridge "****ed"?
Quote by Devon8822
Hey, im making this post because my brother is dumb**** and doesnt know anything amps or guitars. He has very expenive expuipment and knows nothing about it. he has a combo traynor amp and a large cab with 2 massive speakers in it. He has a american strat from the 70s. There alot of stupid things he does with this equipment and he thinks his tone is good. He doesnt belive anythign I tell him cus im his little bro, so I thought mybe you guys could teach the smart ass a lesson. First of all, He has one or 2 new tubes in his amp but most of them are about 30 years old. If you turn up his amp half way it starts breaking up that earlier. He doesnt understand that that isnt normal. He also think that old tubes are amazing and have the best quality sound. His amp sounds like complete ****. Its a beutiful amp and if he knew what to do wiht it he could get great tone. also he hasnt sent it in for any checkups when he got it, theres probabl somthignt hat needs replacing pots, caps... u know. another thing... He uses a DS-1 through a 1972 Traynor amp.... thats discusting... A DS-1 is what you put through a solidstate 30 watt Fender... He doesnt understand anything aboutoverdrive and I tell him to get a TS-808 but he doesnt listen. anyways if you guys could smarten him up, tell him to listen to me, or give him some advice on what he should do with his stuff, that would be awsome. His guitar needs desperatly to be set up and the truss rod is ****ed and the bridge is ****ed. He has a friken G string where the high e string should be and same with the B string. He says it doesnt affect playability or sound... boy is he a tard face. oh and he also thinks marshalls are the worst amps ever. ok thanks!

Why don't you just let him be a "tard face"?
Well it sounds like he's perfectly happy sounding like a "tard face"...you may not like the sound of tubes that havent been replaced in 30 years (that is pretty retarded) but still, whatever floats his boat.
Sure its his preference but he doesnt know anybetter if he heard another pedal or tubes he would like it. also he doesnt play with those strings cus he likes it, he just doesnt have replacements and doesn't really care.
Last edited by Devon8822 at Jun 4, 2006,
My advice... Get him to replace the tubes on his amp, possibly with 12AX7 tubes (Normally used in most hard rock amps like Marshalls). You also mentioned that the truss-rod was jacked up. I would suggest getting a new neck for it. Same with the bridge, unstring the guitar, unscrew the bridge and add a new one. Of course these are all suggestions from someone who hasn't seen the extent of the overall damage of the guitar, so in all honesty, my advice would be for a worst case scenario. As for his putting heavy gauge strings on the lighter gauge section of the guitar, tell him that can put some real wear and tear on the guitar's neck thus causing the guitar to constanly go out of tune. Hope this advice helps, and good luck.
also, if you know anything about how overdrive works, putting a distortion pedal infront of a nice amp is very stupid cus it runs the tone from the pedal instead of the amplifier... that why i said he shouldnt use a distortion pedal but should use a overdrive.
let him be a tard face and leave him alone. As his equipment breaks down, he'll learn his lesson.
Assassinate your brother, take his gear, set it up to your liking. Problem solved.

Seriously, he'll wise-up sooner or later. If he doesn't, get yourself some of your own kickass equipment and show him how REAL tone is supposed to sound.
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

Seriously, this sounds like a pussy squable from Saved By The Bell or some **** like that.

yeah he doesnt need a new neck or bridge he needs t get it set up. his neck is majorly concave like mad, and his bridge has discustingly wrong action.
haha yeah thats what im plannign on doing this summer. Gonna get a Marshall JCM Combo. I also told him that he doesnt need a stack in his room cus it will sound liek ****, cus you cant crank it. A stack at low volume sounds like crap. be he deoesnt listen again. I am going to show him this mybe he will smarten up. thanks for your help guys
nope. If you wanna decide for you self.... he doesnt play very often, when he does it ussually, alot of Nirvana, occasional RHCP, umm purple haze, sometimes a random classic rock song he likes. bout it...
Why do you need to bump it? Don't triple post either.

anyways, why don't you fix all of his gear up and then have him play it? Maybe he'll like it.
sou8nds like your probably acting like a know it all. Take a moment to calmly think about it. He likes his sound, he doesn't like marshalls. There, most of your argument is dead.

Now go to him calmly and just explain to him that he has the strings in the wrong spots, bring with a new set of strings and be really cool about it.

If things are going good as of now maby suggest some newer tubes might give him a little better sound, just explain that old tubes begin to wear out eventualy and most of the time throwing some new ones in there will crank up your tone.

The key is in having people skills, best of luck!
50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat 3-tone Sunburst
Crate XT120r Amp
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ Jensen P8r
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
Yeah, Im not a people person. and he likes his sound cus he has tryed anything else. He hates marshalls because he talked to an amp pro that just happened to not liek them. He has never ever ever tryed a marshall, he hates them with no reason. anyways I will show him this thread mybe he will listen to it instead of me. cus he spazzes whenever i tell him his rig is messed up.
Um...Why don't you just get your own gear and maintain it better? You'll have a better sound and he'll hear that. Soon he'll copy what you're doing.

Just stick to your gear and let him f*ck up his. It's his loss, not yours.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
You make it seem like you know everything and your word it the end all.

Now, I don't know you or your guitar background, but you already have made some poor assumptions/statements.

1. The DS-1, due to its lower gain nature, makes a great boost pedal. Slightly different than an overdrive, but works very similarly for tube amps. Steve Vai for example......tell me he has bad tone. Also, tubescreamers, again are not the end-all. Some hate them, some love them.

2. The tubes aren't NOS, are they? Because if so, they are usually very sought after.....or are they just very very old? How old is the amp for the tubes to be so old?

3. Most tube amps do start breaking up at about halfway....nothing weird there.

3. Tone is very subjective. If he is happy with his tone, then it's perfect for him. End of story. Maybe he likes the tube breakup (natural overdrive, very sought after by tone freaks)

4. The guitar thing....can't explain that....just looks like he's cheap.

5. Marshall....greatly overrated IMO....the tone is too generic to my ears. Boring. I don't like their amps....does that mean I don't know what tone is? No....again, tone is subjective.

Let him do what he wants. You have a completely different view on tone. Follow it.
Don't bother with him. When he trys to play with anyone he'll get called a dumb**** and be humiliated. Until that happens, ignore him and his gear.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^There you go. Then he's officially pwn'd.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
ok but most of the stuff im am saying about his "bad tone" and setup is moreless be cus he is unknowledgeable in the area and wont listen to me who has somewhat knowledge. Again I did not ****ing say the ds-1 is bad, He uses it because he doesnt know anythign about pedals. with his bridge and neck... he just doesnt knwo that is is ****ed up. It more less liek he doesnt deserve this gear until he knows how to use it and treat it properly. In my school theres a kid who plays bass I picked up his bas when he wasnt looking and i couldnt belive how crappily set up it was. right at lik the 20th fret it buzzed liek a bloody mosquito. I have never ever touched an instrument that badly se tup in my life. and it was a nice bass. It just comes down to knowledge, I bet the kid though that the buzz was normal cus he hasnt played anothe rbass before. and his tubes arent NOS i think there EL84s. Also Ibanez4Life you dont understand almost anythign i was saying. when I saw breaking up I mean going all blurry and sound like a synthasiser, and make really really ****ing up noises liek theres a monster inside of the speakers. I did not mean break up as in overdrive.
He has played at coffee houses at my school and stuff and jammed with 1 or two of his friends, that like have squires and crap and cant play at all.
Once he plays with some experienced people (and is mocked mercilessly), he'll fix his stuff. Or give up guitar and give it to you.

Either way you win.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Just tell him that he's a failure as a human being and x_themetalfan_x said it. People like him should NOT have equipment like that.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
haha hopefully, lol. Im going to be getting a JCM800 like I said before this summer and some new pups so that will probably make him want my stuff. then he will let me set up and intonate his guitar, and he might get some new tubes. and ill get him some strings.
i played JCM200,,,, well i didnt play i had set the guitar down trying to figure out how to go to the lead channel, i clicked the footswitch an a high pitched noise could be heared all throu out guitar center and best buy....
I second the talk to him thing, he's your brother so you shouldn't want him to mess up his gear and have to spend a lot of money to fix things (even if you don't like him you don't want the gear to be used under its full potential ) so just talk to him. Gather up some info on the net and have a good old fashion come to Jesus sit down with him to tell him whats up, don't act like a know-it-all and just give him the info and say that you really need to check it out, afterwards if he still is being a stubborn bull just leave him be and watch his gear erode

EDIT ^ thats funny we have a best buy next to the GC in OK too
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by CodySG
Gather up some info on the net and have a good old fashion come to Jesus sit down with him to tell him whats up

haha
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
What me and my other guitaris had to do when our bassist thought Slipknot was the most HxC metal band out
Nice. Did it work? Or did you end up beating the slipknot out of him instead?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
He realized it wasn't got him into some Necrophagist so all is well
Quote by Devon8822
Yeah, Im not a people person. and he likes his sound cus he has tryed anything else. He hates marshalls because he talked to an amp pro that just happened to not liek them. He has never ever ever tryed a marshall, he hates them with no reason. anyways I will show him this thread mybe he will listen to it instead of me. cus he spazzes whenever i tell him his rig is messed up.

dude u know that he'll still never listen, and man ur are deffenatlly not a people person lol. and I told you ur bro ****es everything up!!! lol

Quote by Devon8822
Hey, im making this post because my brother is dumb**** and doesnt know anything amps or guitars. He has very expenive equipment and knows nothing about it. He has a combo Traynor amp and a large cab with 2 massive speakers in it. He has an American strat from the 80s. There alot of stupid things he does with this equipment and he thinks his tone is good. He doesnt believe anything I tell him because im his little bro, so I thought mybe you guys could teach the smart ass a lesson. First of all, He has one or 2 new tubes in his amp but most of them are about 30 years old. If you turn up his amp half way it starts breaking up that early. He doesnt understand that that isnt normal. He also think that old tubes are amazing and have the best quality sound and I try to tell him to replace them cus old ones sound like **** and he cant even tell. His amp sounds like complete ****. Its a beutiful amp and if he knew what to do wiht it he could get great tone. also he hasn't sent it in for any checkups when he got it, theres probably something that needs replacing pots, caps... u know. another thing... He uses a DS-1 through a 1972 Traynor amp.... thats discusting... A DS-1 is what you put through a solidstate 30 watt Fender... He doesnt understand anything about overdrive and I tell him to get a TS-808 but he doesnt listen. anyways if you guys could smarten him up, tell him to listen to me, or give him some advice on what he should do with his stuff, that would be awsome. His guitar needs desperatly to be set up and the truss rod is ****ed and the bridge is ****ed. He has a friken G string where the high e string should be and same with the B string. He says it doesnt affect playability or sound... boy is he a tard face. oh and he also thinks Marshalls are the worst amps ever. ok thanks!

Dude...how the heck did my brother get on here? My tone is my preference meat head! And by the way...you should replace the broken pickups on your flying v...afterall, bad tone is better than none!

(j/k-but sounds like something my brother would say about me.)
-Epiphone Riviera w/ Bigsby and Gibson 490r/498t combo
-Epiphone Es-333 Delonge Edition
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
^
... what is that even supposed to mean?

If your brother doesn't take care of his gear, either buy it and fix it up or just ignore him and let him continue the distruction. From what you've said he seems pretty obtuse and unthankful for any help, so I'd let him do his own thing.
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Be sure to laugh and say "I told you so" when it all breaks down on him.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Page 1 of 2