Poll: Are artists that go solo while in a band selfish?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are artists that go solo while in a band selfish?
yes, they are selfish
10 21%
no, they aren't selfish, they have the right to.
38 79%
Voters: 48.
Alright, I'm in a band, we've played a few shows, and spent about six months establishing the basic things that get a band going. Well, the bassist of our band also plays a bit of guitar and he's thinking about going solo, as well as staying in the band. I'm the keyboardist/effects and lyricist, and we all share the leadership of the band. I've talked this over with the lead guitarist, and we both agree that Tyler's(the bassist) decision is kind of selfish. I kind of feel hypocritical because I have a solo project(kinda) but I had mine before we ever started, and since, the only time I put into it is late at night and I write something sub par. Tyler has since started a myspace and put up three or four songs that are really good, and that our band could possible benefit from.

Anyway.

In short, should we approach him about his solo project? And do you think that artists that go solo are selfish?
BUY SOME PHOTOS..Click here, and then click 'store'

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK
lol man plz dont take this the wrong way but you really cant rap.
Well if he has stopped or lowered the input he had on your band then yea, but it will backfire as he will talk to you about your solo project.
i would talk to him, ask him if he woudl like to use those songs in your band
Ibanez GSR190 Bass
Ibanez IBZ10B amp

Ibanez GAX30
Boss DS-1 Distortion
No, I feel they are not selfish

I too feel like going solo

I feel people go solo because they feel the rest of the band doesn't really understand the sound he is going for.

Or he feels the rest of the band is bringing his talent down.
Maybe if you gave him extra credit, pointing out that he wrote it, I mean, if he wrote the guitar and lyrical parts for a song, and then played bass for it, he probably wouldn't get any credit. I mean, he could be living his solo career through the full band (Assuming you, the singer, and the guitarist can take the ego strike of having to sit out of the spotlight in performances)
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
A lot of musicians play in several different bands. You guys are the ones who are being selfish by a) feeling that he should be 100% "loyal" to you and not do anything besides work on your project and b) being hypocritical since you guys all have other projects anyway.

It's just .. so common for good musicians to play in lots of different groups and juggle various projects etc.. If this guy ever can't be professional and just doesn't have the time for you or something then replace him. It's as simple as that. To be perfectly honest you're all being huge dicks IMO. He's allowed to do what he wants and that doesn't mean he's not going to still contribute to your project in a big way.

It has nothing to do with being selfish .. it has to do with his interests. He's obviously got musicial ideas of his own that he wants to explore and that doesn't mean that he's not still interested in your ideas. They're just different. Deal with it.

Seriously the more I think about this the more I want to rant about how ignorant you sound. Grow up. If you were playing in a band and had other projects going on and they told you "sorry you have to ONLY play with US" you'd be so outta there.
Last edited by garett at Jun 4, 2006,
I understand where you guys are coming from, but his solo project sounds exactly like the stuff we're going for, and he hasn't really contributed anything outside of his bass ability to us since the start. We all sit around trying to write lyrics and parts and he just acts so clueless at practice. Then to hear the stuff on his myspace, it's just like a slap in the face because he really does have the ability to make original music but it's like he's saving it for his own use.

I've written about 65% of the parts to every song and I don't take any more credit than any one else. When we are on stage, I'm just the keyboardist, mike is just the singer, Cory is just the guitarist, tyler is just the bassist, etc, etc.

When we went into this, the whole thing was, we are equal. Because we hate the way some bands are totally products of their lead singer/guitarist. So we all have really evenly distributed parts and we don't over power one another.

And as far as my solo project, if any one in my band approached me and said "hey, we want to use one of your songs that you wrote and expand upon it and turn it into a song for the band" I'd be perfectly fine with it.
BUY SOME PHOTOS..Click here, and then click 'store'

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK
lol man plz dont take this the wrong way but you really cant rap.
If he wanted to wrirte those songs for the band he would've already - unless someone's dominating a little bit. Everyone has the right to solo projects and most of the time it doesn't bring their input down - you could talk to him but he'd most likely give you the hyprocrit argument.
Quote by Dashboard89
I understand where you guys are coming from, but his solo project sounds exactly like the stuff we're going for, and he hasn't really contributed anything outside of his bass ability to us since the start. We all sit around trying to write lyrics and parts and he just acts so clueless at practice. Then to hear the stuff on his myspace, it's just like a slap in the face because he really does have the ability to make original music but it's like he's saving it for his own use.
Well this is what I was talking about. If he's NOT contributing to the band .. then replace him.

If you guys set out from the beginning to share in the song writing process and he's not contributing then you do have the right to talk to him about this and call him out for not doing his job. That's completely different than him being "selfish" or in the wrong for doing a solo project.

And as far as my solo project, if any one in my band approached me and said "hey, we want to use one of your songs that you wrote and expand upon it and turn it into a song for the band" I'd be perfectly fine with it.
Well see I wouldn't be ok with that, but that's just me. I play in different bands and I have a solo project and each and every one is different and I bring different ideas and strengths to each one. Each of my songs is like a child of mine and I couldn't just hand it over to a band I'm jamming with when I wrote it for a different purpose. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't contribute to that band either.

And you know what .. it's never happened that there's been a conflict. Every single group I play with knows that I'm a professional musician and that when I apply myself to a project I give it 110%. Just 'cause I have other projects doesn't mean that I will do their project half assed.

I'm gonna make this last part bold because it's really my point.

You gotta let someone's actions within the group speak for the guy and not what he does outside the group. If he's not contributing his part then talk to him about it but don't call him selfish for doing other projects. In fact .. don't even mention his other projects when you talk to him because they're, frankly, none of your business. Just call him out for not doing the part that he agreed to. End of story.
No, that's not really selfish. If there's music that someone wants to do but can't do it in the context of the band, let him do it. You could try to incorporate that into your style in the band. But if his interests in the band decline, then you can talk to him about it. But if he's contributing less but still showing the same interest, I think that's alright. I'd never go solo unless my band broke up, but I usually take most of the control in the musical direction so there's nothing that I feel like I can't do in a band.
look, i think that if his solo album is exactly your style of music, ask him why he doesnt want to invest it in the band..
and if its really about credit, then before you play that song in gigs, say it was written by him
or something like that..

but if its not the same style, people have the right to play different kinds of music, or with different people
i play in about 3 bands, one is a cover band... in one i invest the most becouse im lead..
and the third one... im rythem.. so i mainly do what they tell me (their huge musicians.. i wont dream of critisizing them...)
i think the only people saying its their right to go solo and that it is not selfish are the people that want to or have already gone solo themselves... true, they do have the right to, but they also made a commitment to a band and they should be imputting into that band, not saving all the good songs for themselves... they probably wont make it solo anyway, and the songs will go to waste, whereas they could have been projected by a good band... how the hell does a bassist go solo anyway??????????????????????????
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
i think the only people saying its their right to go solo and that it is not selfish are the people that want to or have already gone solo themselves... true, they do have the right to, but they also made a commitment to a band and they should be imputting into that band, not saving all the good songs for themselves... they probably wont make it solo anyway, and the songs will go to waste, whereas they could have been projected by a good band... how the hell does a bassist go solo anyway??????????????????????????

Paul McCartney did it, John Entwistle did it, so did Roger Waters. Don't underestimate bass players.