well im getting a new electric in 2 weeks for an end of school year present andi play mostly hard rock like pearl jam and guns n roses. i have a vox ad30vt so an amp is not a problem. i was looking at either the agile al-3000 or the washburn wi64. or maybe you could give me some more suggestions if you think i shouldn't get either. but i have questions about the washburn.

1.) it has a coil splitter. so does that mean if i change the pickups, will the coil splitter work with the new pickups?
and
2.) it has a buzz feiton tuning system so does that mean it will sound differently tuned than another guitar?

also which guitar do you think i should choose
heres a link for the washburn here
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
1. Go to a guitar store.

2. Try out all the guitars in your price range.

3. Pick the one that suits your style and sounds best.

4. Don't get a guitar before playing it. Looks are not what determines how good a guitar is.
The Buzz Feiten Tuning system will just make the guitar be perfectly in tune when you tune it. I think you need a different type of tuner for it, but I'm not sure. Ask at the guitar store that has them when you go try it.

As for the pickup changing, I have no idea. You'd have to ask one of the electronics experts here.

No matter what, go try the Washburn. It's a great guitar in my opinion.

Also check out the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
xenn have you ever played the wi64? not that im doubting your knowledge but i just wanna know if you liked it or not. My friend told me that washburn makes really nice guitars so im basically going off what he told me. ill look at some guitar stores to see if i can find some. i was also kinda interested in the schecter tempest but im not so sure. so many choices!
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Yes. i've played a few actually. A couple of regulars and a Deluxe. I also have a WI14 myself that's amazing for a beginner guitar.

The necks are great-very comfortable and fast. The pickups sounded pretty good to me-I don't think they would need an immediate change anyway. The coil split is also nice. You get a very single coil sound (as you should).

They have AMAZING fret access. I could effortlessly fret the 22nd fret on the Low E string.

They're light, but not quite as light as an SG.

I would buy one myself, but I want a les paul more, so I'm going for an Epi LP Plain Top.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
ok thanks xenn for actually responding to my thread, you've been a lot of help. hopefully i can find one to play for myself at a guitar center or something

edit: o yeah anyone else got any advice?
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
No problem. I'm one of the few people here who knows about Washburns, so I try to help when a questionon them comes up.

Also, look into the distressed WI64. They're $300 on music123.com with a deluxe gigbag. They're the same as the regular WI64, just with a flat finish and brushed copper hardware. They look prett cool in my opinion.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I own a WI64DL and changed the bridge pickup on it. I put in push/pull taps because the VCC knob was useless (it goes from a single at 1 and a hum at 10 but anything in between is rubbish). It's better to have a tone knob, but if you wanted to switch pickups I don't see any reason why you couldn't leave the VCC if you like it. It's a great guitar, more SG than Les Paul but after changing the bridge pickup (SD Pearly Gates), it does telecaster tones remarkably well with tapped and out-of-phase pickups. I'd highly recommend it. It's backing up my Les Paul now, but for $550 after all the mods it would be hard to find a more versatile guitar for the price.

one more thing- for some reason Washburn the volume knobs roll off way too much treble when turned down, I swapped the pots and capacitors out, problem solved.
SO, pros:
-Very versatile
-Extraordinary value after mods
-Lightweight
-Looks good
-Solid playability
-great tuning stability
Cons:
-Needs to be modded to realize it's full potential
-Dot inlays are a bit cheap for this style of guitar
-Tone's a bit too thin to imitate LP tones, but it does everything else

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Jun 4, 2006,
yeah i was looking at the distressed and they look like an awesome deal considered its cheaper with a stripped finish. thanks for the review roc. o yeah did you light your guitar on fire yet? if so, howd it go
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by red star
o yeah did you light your guitar on fire yet? if so, howd it go

I'm never going to live that down, am I?
No, I'm going to wait until next year I think, my friend is coming back from japan then and we're going to do it right- video, pyrotechnics, the works. I'll make sure to post a video when we do.
Quote by Roc8995
I'm never going to live that down, am I?
No, I'm going to wait until next year I think, my friend is coming back from japan then and we're going to do it right- video, pyrotechnics, the works. I'll make sure to post a video when we do.

lol fricken awesome. i cant wait!!!
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100