does anyone know the methods used by fender to relic there time machine guitars, hardware, and plastic parts if not what are some good ways to go about doing this myself
I don't know exactly how Fender does it, but I can give you some tips I've picked up (I don't do relics myself though).

Use a screwdriver to get realistic dings in the paint. Use graphite (pencil) to darken any wood that shows. NEVER EVER use a belt sander! Coffee will darken most plastic. Etching solution will age nickle hardware. To get lacquer checking, alternate storing the guitar in hot and cold enviornments (like a freezer, then a car trunk in the summer).
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
would the alternate storing warp the body?

and you can also just drop it offa a really high buiding...that always works.
Fender has big keyrings with a bunch of keys on 'em. They beat the **** out of painted bodies. Put the metal bits in vinegar and they should rust.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
I never understood the attraction for artificially relicing a beautiful guitar, specially putting dings, dents, scratches, etc. I can understand battle scars from hard use, but to intentionally bruise a fine guitar? Different strokes and all that.
Quote by YoungPilgrim
Fender has big keyrings with a bunch of keys on 'em. They beat the **** out of painted bodies. Put the metal bits in vinegar and they should rust.

Vinegar or bleach works. Also, through reading through that Fender demonstration (at the website marshall880 posted above me) Certain spots are going to get more wear. Try wearing the guitar sitting and standing and keeping in mind where your body makes contact. Also, try to genuinely replicate as much as possible.... example, make belt buckle scratches with an actual belt buckle.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
i think leaving it in the weather for a day or so would give some good effects on it. like a fading on the paint, water marks and suck. get a padlock and put a zip tie on it, swing it repeatedly at the guitar.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Or you could just play like a LOT of shows with it

Worked for my telecaster
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Quote by Ippon
I never understood the attraction for artificially relicing a beautiful guitar, specially putting dings, dents, scratches, etc. I can understand battle scars from hard use, but to intentionally bruise a fine guitar? Different strokes and all that.

Yeah same, i quite like a few dings and pick wear and buckle rash, makes it feel like your guitar and some of the dings have stories, however, no matter how much i enjoy having damage on a guitar i would never apply it deliberately. You should 'earn' you scratches .
exactly

thats my p bass before i refinished it, i like the looks of wear but not random nicks and dings
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"