I know about wahs, overdrive, delays, compressors and a couple of others but what does an envelope filter do? I have absolutely no idea so i need a pretty basic explanation.
why thank you, you could have simply said "just search it because no one can be stuffed giving an explanation".

But thanks anyway
An envelope filter basically changes the sound based on how strong the signal is. So when you first hit a string, the signal will be strong, and it'll sound one way, and the sound will gradually "morph" into something else as you hold the note.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
Quote by Bassic Chicken
why thank you, you could have simply said "just search it because no one can be stuffed giving an explanation".

But thanks anyway

http://www.googleityoumoron.com

lol jk.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218715&highlight=envelope+filter

It's kind of like an autowah.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
If you're looking to buy one, the DOD FX25B is great.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Quote by Nikklaus
If you're looking to buy one, the DOD FX25B is great.

i like the dod, but i think i fried mine by connecting it to an dc adaptor instead of an ac adaptor. it makes weird noises now, and not in a good way.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Incubusscience, LMAO.

I was trying out the MXR auto Q and one of the staff at the music store recommended the DOD filter too. Everyone is saying that it's like an Auto-wah, so i'm presuming its not really an auto-wah. Do they produce the same sound but do so in different ways, or do they sound significantly different? Are there any advantages to using a envelope filter over using an auto-wah. The MXR Auto Q was an awsome pedal, lots of nobs=lots of variation in sound.
Quote by Bassic Chicken
Incubusscience, LMAO.

I was trying out the MXR auto Q and one of the staff at the music store recommended the DOD filter too. Everyone is saying that it's like an Auto-wah, so i'm presuming its not really an auto-wah. Do they produce the same sound but do so in different ways, or do they sound significantly different? Are there any advantages to using a envelope filter over using an auto-wah. The MXR Auto Q was an awsome pedal, lots of nobs=lots of variation in sound.

envelope filters have a slight, almost gritty distortion to them with a phaser type effect underlying the wah effects. the DOD sounds exactly like the filter flea uses in power of equality. for the price you cant beat that DOD.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
An auto-wah sweeps through frequencies which is what gives you the wah type of sound. An Envelope filter is controlled by the sounds envelope (read up on an ADSR envelope). This means, the filter opens and close with the envelope of the sound. it's hard to explain without you knowing what an envelope is. If you do, then i guess you know what i am talking about..
An auto-wah will sweep back and forth over some set time interval. Example: Every quarter note it will do one "cycle," corresponding to tilting your foot forward and backward on a regular wah.

An envelope filter changes the sound based on what you play. If you play all quarter notes, depending on whether you've set it to "up" or "down," you'll sweep one way or another every quarter note. If you play all whole notes, you'll sweep every whole note.

It's hard to explain with words. Try one out. Then you'll know what it does.

EDIT: Actually, I've seen a lot of envelope filters labeled as auto-wahs. I THINK that the Auto-Q might be one of those. When I say auto-wah, I mean a pedal that essentially does fixed-period wah cycles for you.

EDIT2: I have an audio file I can send you that has an envelope filter and what I call an auto-wah for comparison. Email me if you'd like me to send it to you. kosse015@umn.edu
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
Last edited by Junkstuff1 at Jun 7, 2006,