Page 1 of 2
hey yall, ive got an offer for me to buy a set of PRS Dragon II's for about $40. and im thinking if i do get them to put them in eather my Ibanez or Schecter, but that decision will come later. ive never really used these pups, should i go for them? and ill be using them to play hard rock in standard/drop D tuning.
You probably won't notice the change in sound nearly as much as you would through a quality rig, but you might as well install the pickups anyways. I don't know too much about the Dragon IIs buy they'll definitly be a big step up from stock Ibanez pickups. Less of an upgrade (or not at all) on the Schecter, espescially if it already has real Duncans or EMGs. So I say put them in the Ibanez.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
well actually my Ibanez, a SZ320, has a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and the stock pup is still in the neck. and my Schecter is a C-1 Plus and it has Duncan Designed pups with covers.
id say for the biggest upgrade go with the ibanez, though schecters rox my soxorz
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
The Dragon IIs are more of a jack-of-all-trades pickup. For really high output, the PRS Tremonti and HFS pickups are the way to go. Dragon IIs are my 2nd favorite PRS pickups. Probably not the best for really heavy stuff, but they'll do hard rock well. They also clean up well, which is what I look for. They're the stock pickups on the Custom 22 and Standard 22.
Hi, I'm Peter
I doubt they'd be an upgrade from the JB in your Ibanez. And since your Schecter C-1 has the Duncan Designed pups, wouldn't an upgrade either.

Save your $40 towards a better amp.
Quote by Chazzy29
I doubt they'd be an upgrade from the JB in your Ibanez. And since your Schecter C-1 has the Duncan Designed pups, wouldn't an upgrade either.

Save your $40 towards a better amp.

Ok, you can go away now, n00b. Dragon II pickups are infinitely better than "Duncan Designed" or whatever nonsense that's just a marketing ploy (Duncan DESIGNED aren't actually made by Seymour Duncan -- they're just cheap crap stock pickups that aren't available aftermarket that Duncan pays guitar manufacturers to put the name on). For hard rock, the JB would probably be better than a Dragon II, though. But a set of Dragon IIs would go for $260 new or more. If you pass them up for $40, you should
Hi, I'm Peter
$40 is a fantastic deal for a set of Dragon II's. My PRS has stock Dragon II's and they're great pickups. PRS pickups (on the American series) are the best stock pickups available, IMO. I say go for it and stick 'em in your Schecter, Duncan Designs aren't very good. Buy a new amp when you have the cash, but definetely get the Dragon II's.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Quote by Dirk Gently
Ok, you can go away now, n00b. Dragon II pickups are infinitely better than "Duncan Designed" or whatever nonsense that's just a marketing ploy (Duncan DESIGNED aren't actually made by Seymour Duncan -- they're just cheap crap stock pickups that aren't available aftermarket that Duncan pays guitar manufacturers to put the name on). For hard rock, the JB would probably be better than a Dragon II, though. But a set of Dragon IIs would go for $260 new or more. If you pass them up for $40, you should

n00b? Now that is original! Guess I shouldn't expect anything less from someone like you.

Now if they sell for $260 new, then why are they not better than the $69.00 JB?

Schecter claims the Duncan Design are 95% made identical to the original Duncans

"Q: What are DUNCAN DESIGN humbuckers?

A: Duncan Design pickups are manufactured by an outside factory to the exact specifications and manufacturing methods of Seymour Duncan. Unlike some ´import´ pickups, the DUNCAN DESIGN pickups use Alnico magnets (for warmth & tone) and are 4-conductor, which means that ANY Diamond Series guitar can have an ´after-market´ mini toggle or push-pull pot added for ´splitting´ the humbucker for a cleaner, single-coil tone. Note: If this is done by a qualified repair technician, it will NOT void your warranty! As far as the sound, let your ears decide, but the models we use are 95% identical to the JB and ´59 !"
Quote by Chazzy29
Now if they sell for $260 new, then why are they not better than the $69.00 JB?
Schecter claims the Duncan Design are 95% made identical to the original Duncans

Of course Schecter is gonna say that. They sure as hell aren't going to say "our stock Duncan Design pickups are crap". If they are so similar why don't you hear "Hey Go GeT SuMM SwEeT DuNcAn DesiiiiGns!" in every "which pickup thread?

BTW: PRS doesn't sell their pickups seperately. Some people (Ed F***in' Roman) pull 'em out of guitars and sell them seperately, so their is no official list price on PRS pickups. End of argument.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
^^^ You're right... the Duncan Designed sell around $26.00 used on ebay while real Duncans sell for about $40 used.

People are buying them for about half what you can buy the real ones for...

$40 is a good deal for the Dragon ll. But I'd be more concerned about the crappy amp for tone.

$2000 guitar + crappy amp = Shyt.
$1000 amp + C-1 (Duncan Designed) = wonderful sound.

My point is the nicest pups in the world isn't going to help while using that crappy solid state crate.
Quote by YoungPilgrim
Of course Schecter is gonna say that. They sure as hell aren't going to say "our stock Duncan Design pickups are crap". If they are so similar why don't you hear "Hey Go GeT SuMM SwEeT DuNcAn DesiiiiGns!" in every "which pickup thread?

BTW: PRS doesn't sell their pickups seperately. Some people (Ed F***in' Roman) pull 'em out of guitars and sell them seperately, so their is no official list price on PRS pickups. End of argument.

Actually, PRS does sell their pickups seperately, both through their website and authorized dealers. I bought a set of McCarty pickups as an upgrade to the HFS/Vintage Bass in my Standard 24.

And it's not an upgrade over the JB because he's looking for a different sound. If he was looking for versatility with great cleans, the Dragon II would be a definite upgrade, but he won't get the output with those that he would the JB, and it sounds like he wants to play heavy music. It's all subjective. The Dragon II, though, is a much sweeter sounding, versatile pickup without the harshness or trebley sound of the JB.
Hi, I'm Peter
well from what everyone says, i should get the Dragon II's. the way its looking, im probally going to put them in my Schecter since the SZ already has the JB.

Question: how do yall think the Dragon II's will do with drop tunings like Drop C?
Quote by Chazzy29
Want to sell your Duncan Designed?

might as well, it be kinda pointless to just leave them lying around in my closet. why? do you want them?
They sell on eBay for $30-40 pair.... and the seller has to take the time to make photos, description, and pay eBay fees.

I am interested though.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Sell them to him for $40...

Quote by Chazzy29
I am interested though.

ok then. when i get them out and the Dragon II's in, ill send you some pics and a price. cool?
good enough, I'll be around. ((unless I get banned again))
Quote by Chazzy29

well in that case send me your email address in a PM so we can keep intouch outside of UG.
I got the 10 day ban on the elimination thread... It is a UG game.

I'll PM you my addy anyhow.
Quote by Chazzy29
I got the 10 day ban on the elimination thread... It is a UG game.

I'll PM you my addy anyhow.

cool man. ill shoot you an email to confirm your address.
Quote by lp_dude_2
cool man. ill shoot you an email to confirm your address.

When you get the Dragon IIs and pop them in, tell us what you think. I'd like to know. I chose the McCartys over the Dragon IIs for my PRS, but I was looking for something a bit more mellow.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, what kind of amp are you using?
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Chazzy29

Now how come it doesn't surprise me that you have been banned.

Anyway. You know something you could do (this is, if technically possible; I'm a noob at this stuff)? Put one of the Dragon II's on the Ibanez neck. If it is still stock, you're granted to have an awesome upgrade on your cleans.
Oh. And Chazzy. Did you ever hear the word gullible? I bet you did... I mean, someone who buys into what Schecter said about how awesome Duncan Designs are...
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Gonna hijack this thread...

lp dude 2: I'm looking at getting either an SZ or a C1 plus - they seem very similar, I like the fixed bridges/mahogany bodies/shorter scale length/etc. Which one do you think is better? Are there any major differences between them, in quality or feel or anything? Cheers!

And I'd say put them in the Schecter, if the Ibanez already has a JB
Quote by jmag
Anyway. You know something you could do (this is, if technically possible; I'm a noob at this stuff)? Put one of the Dragon II's on the Ibanez neck. If it is still stock, you're granted to have an awesome upgrade on your cleans.

yeah its posible to do that but id have to flip the magnet around. i remember someone telling me about that when i asked about just putting one of the Dragon II's in a guitar. besides, im perfectally happy with the clean i get from the stock neck pup on my SZ.

Quote by Dirk Gently
When you get the Dragon IIs and pop them in, tell us what you think. I'd like to know. I chose the McCartys over the Dragon IIs for my PRS, but I was looking for something a bit more mellow.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, what kind of amp are you using?

yeah ill defentally make a thread on them and how they sound. and my amp is a Crate GT212. not the best solid state but it gets the job done.

Quote by mynamewontfit
Gonna hijack this thread...

lp dude 2: I'm looking at getting either an SZ or a C1 plus - they seem very similar, I like the fixed bridges/mahogany bodies/shorter scale length/etc. Which one do you think is better? Are there any major differences between them, in quality or feel or anything? Cheers!

And I'd say put them in the Schecter, if the Ibanez already has a JB

well the main differences in the two are the neck and the bridge. the schecter has a thinner yet wider neck then the SZ, but the SZ has better fret access and better feel. the C-1's frets are X-jumbo where as the SZ has medium meaning the fret wire on the schecter is thicker. now the schecter has a standard TOM bridge from TonePros and its nice but i really like the Gibralator III bridge on the SZ, its a lot smoother on strings, creates more sustain, and it just fits you your hand perfectally when you palm mute. theyre both great guitars but in the long run, id choose my SZ.
Quote by jmag
Now how come it doesn't surprise me that you have been banned.

Oh. And Chazzy. Did you ever hear the word gullible? I bet you did... I mean, someone who buys into what Schecter said about how awesome Duncan Designs are...

It was ban for the game day elimination thread ((for fun))... Like haha, joke! And you call me gullible?

In regards to the Duncan Designed pups.... Please Copy & Paste where someone/anyone say they are "awesome". (besides you)

I have other sources that say they are a decent upgrade.... plus I have hands on experience. Do you?

Nevermind, you're a n00b!
Quote by lp_dude_2
well the main differences in the two are the neck and the bridge. the schecter has a thinner yet wider neck then the SZ, but the SZ has better fret access and better feel. the C-1's frets are X-jumbo where as the SZ has medium meaning the fret wire on the schecter is thicker. now the schecter has a standard TOM bridge from TonePros and its nice but i really like the Gibralator III bridge on the SZ, its a lot smoother on strings, creates more sustain, and it just fits you your hand perfectally when you palm mute. theyre both great guitars but in the long run, id choose my SZ.

Awesome, thanks for that!
In my personal opinion all of the PRS pickups are too nasal (bar the original Dragon I bridge and the Dragon II neck.)

It'll certainly be a huge upgrade from the POS duncan designed pups and for $40 you've got absolutely nothing to lose! Yu could easily sell them on for more than that if you don't like them.

The neck pickup in the DII set is divine, it doesn't have the stupid nasal character and has a nice warm tone. As I said up there my "Uber PRS set" is a DII neck and a DI bridge (although finding DI bridge pickups is a bitch!)

Oh and the last time I checked this wasn't "flame chazzy day" so please don't... And Chazzy stop interrogating them.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by lp_dude_2
well actually my Ibanez, a SZ320, has a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and the stock pup is still in the neck. and my Schecter is a C-1 Plus and it has Duncan Designed pups with covers.

put em in the schector, duncan designs are, well, crap IMO
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"
Quote by power freak
In my personal opinion all of the PRS pickups are too nasal (bar the original Dragon I bridge and the Dragon II neck.)

It'll certainly be a huge upgrade from the POS duncan designed pups and for $40 you've got absolutely nothing to lose! Yu could easily sell them on for more than that if you don't like them.

The neck pickup in the DII set is divine, it doesn't have the stupid nasal character and has a nice warm tone. As I said up there my "Uber PRS set" is a DII neck and a DI bridge (although finding DI bridge pickups is a bitch!)

Oh and the last time I checked this wasn't "flame chazzy day" so please don't... And Chazzy stop interrogating them.

You think the Vintage Bass is nasal? Interesting...
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by lp_dude_2
what do you mean by nasal? ive never heard that term used for pups before.

Think of a wah wah set it little towards the bass side of middle.. You get a sorta sound that's similar to the sound of your voice when you've got a cold. That's nasal.

Dirk Gently: What guitar (or which guitars) is that vintage bass in? I haven't tried all of the PRS pickups but I've tried most.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by power freak
Dirk Gently: What guitar (or which guitars) is that vintage bass in? I haven't tried all of the PRS pickups but I've tried most.

Vintage Bass is the stock neck pickup in the Custom 24 and the Standard 24, paired on both with the HFS in the bridge.
Hi, I'm Peter
Page 1 of 2