I feel like such a dumbass asking this question but if you have never touched a string instrument before but can read both G and F clef (f= bass clef) (g-treble) do you thik this book might be of any help to learning bass?

I can feel all the flamming remarks now but I really just need some help and my bass is just sitting in it's case.
^Bass guitar for dummies maybe?

if you can read sheet music at both clefs, then i'd look for a book that had practice songs written in sheet rather than tablature.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Last edited by IndieMetalhead at Jun 5, 2006,
Quote by chloroformkisme
I can feel all the flamming remarks now but I really just need some help and my bass is just sitting in it's case.

We here at the bass forum rarely ever flame anyone , especially just for asking a simple question. Now, on to the question. In all honesty I don't see how this book could possibly be detrimental to you learning bass. If you've never touched an instrument before, but you can read the clefs, then you should probably read the book and pick up the basics from there. It's great to know how to read standard notation, but a book like that will give you basic concepts of playing bass which are more important at this stage.
My mother bought me that book when i first started learning bass. In all honestly, i didnt like the way it was laid out. I basically used it to learn the major and minor scales and pretty much put it down after that. I would say there are better books out there to learn bass from if i'm honest. But as Bumper said, it cant harm you.
Hey,
i have that book, i thought it was a great way to learn, although i dint just sit there and go thru it all at once, it does get borig, but u then go back to it, it gives u an insight into different styles. It aint nothin advanced at all, its just the foundations and for me i feel a fair bit to that book. Dont get me wrong there are other good books out there. Me personally i like rock metal playing and i bought billy sheehans books, they r good although they r way overpriced in my opinion but thats cos its billy sheehan i guess.
If u go a library or a good book store i'm sure they will have a variety of books. Just go in and have a browse, see if u like the writing style etc. In all honesty i coudl say that this book is amazing, but it would be pointless cos its how u wanna learn and not me. I have already expressed my opinion but i hope this somehow helps.
can i recommend a book for you? it's called Bass Guitar: Total Scales Techniques And Applications. it wont teach you songs, or anything like that. Purely to work your chops. Great refererence book for people of all levels of ability.
I'm using Bass Guitar for dummies as of right now. I found its explanation of theory to be very clear and concise. I have yet to use the CD that came with it. I think its a pretty good book (and inexpensive) for starting out, and also has equipment maintenance in it as well.
Discolored skin gives me away.
Quote by Bumper
We here at the bass forum rarely ever flame anyone , especially just for asking a simple question.

Yeah, but that's only cause bass players are dumb (me especially )
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Yeah, but that's only cause bass players are dumb (me especially )

I'm sorry, I'm assuming that you were making a joke, but I don't quite get it. We don't flame people because we're dumb?
Quote by Applehead
My mother bought me that book when i first started learning bass. In all honestly, i didnt like the way it was laid out. I basically used it to learn the major and minor scales and pretty much put it down after that. I would say there are better books out there to learn bass from if i'm honest. But as Bumper said, it cant harm you.

I agree with this. I bought it when I was starting out as a way if improving myself, learned one or two scales off of it and then found it to just be repeating itself and stuff you'd pick up by listening on for 10 minutes.

But it couldn't hrut. And I still think it was an OK purchase.

Applehead, please remove the custom title "Banned" from your username. It's not allowed. I personally wouldn't care; but (you remember your time in the Forum of the Banned?) every now and then someone gets banned for it, and it really does make modding more of a hassle than it has to be. I'm not gonna push you for it, but I'd appreciate it if you changed it.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by Bumper
We here at the bass forum rarely ever flame anyone , especially just for asking a simple question. Now, on to the question. In all honesty I don't see how this book could possibly be detrimental to you learning bass. If you've never touched an instrument before, but you can read the clefs, then you should probably read the book and pick up the basics from there. It's great to know how to read standard notation, but a book like that will give you basic concepts of playing bass which are more important at this stage.

I play instruments just no string. I play flute (hence the G/treble clef) and baritone (hence the F/bass clef) and I can sorta play piano but not well. My main problem has to deal with playing the songs (picking them) and moving between the frets.... was also curious...has anyone heard of a "Tradition" bass? thats the company name on my bass and I know nothing about them and was wondering if it's a good starter bass or not? My mom got it for me as a christmas gift so I'm not gonna dump it or anything. I forget the amp she got with it. It wasn't a kit i know but the guy at the local music store (where we got my flute and my brothers sax) gave her a deal on the amp since she bought the bass. I'm just kinda curious.