Hi, im at work and naturally bored. So i have started to learn music theory. I have tried to learn about the major scale and the circle of 5th. Now my question is, how can i use the circle of 5th on pentatonic scales?

Cheers!
Cant spell crap without rap
I never understood the circle of fifths either - go find the lesson called beginners uide to learning music theory in lessons>for beginners. That should help.
Quote by Dave_Gray
I've always known how to figure out major pentatonics with the Co5 but not minor pentatonics. Could someone explain? Does it have something to do with relative minor and major?
You do it the exact same way. You start with a C pentatonic. A 5th higher then C in G. G pentatonic is a 5th higher then C pentatonic. You can go the other way as well. F is a 5th below C. F pentatonic is a 5th below C pentatonic.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You do it the exact same way. You start with a C pentatonic. A 5th higher then C in G. G pentatonic is a 5th higher then C pentatonic. You can go the other way as well. F is a 5th below C. F pentatonic is a 5th below C pentatonic.

But how do I work that out into a minor pentatonic? With major pentatonic, you find your route and then clockwise, the next 4 notes are your major pentatonic - as far as I know and have read. But that wouldn't be the same for minor pentatonic, no? Unless the best way of doing it would be to find the major and then turn it into the relative minor?
I don't really get your question, but I think you're asking how to find the different penatonic scales using the circle of 5ths

Well first of all, the circle of 5ths is F-C-G-D-A-E-B-F#-C#

To find a regular major scale, such as A, the last sharp is always a half step down form the octave. So the last sharp of A is G. Then you go backwards from G till you get to F to find all the sharps in the A major scale.(So all the sharps in the A major scale would be F# C# and G#). Now, to find the acutal scale, just put the notes in order. A major: A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#-A

Now, to find the penatonic scale, you take the 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 tone of that scale. So...an A major penatonic scale would be A-B-C#-E-F#

A minor penatonic scale consists of 1, b3, 4, 5, b7. So an A minor penatonic scale would be :
A-C-D-E-G
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Quote by modestmouse9191
I don't really get your question, but I think you're asking how to find the different penatonic scales using the circle of 5ths

Well first of all, the circle of 5ths is F-C-G-D-A-E-B-F#-C#

To find a regular major scale, such as A, the last sharp is always a half step down form the octave. So the last sharp of A is G. Then you go backwards from G till you get to F to find all the sharps in the A major scale.(So all the sharps in the A major scale would be F# C# and G#). Now, to find the acutal scale, just put the notes in order. A major: A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#-A

Now, to find the penatonic scale, you take the 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 tone of that scale. So...an A major penatonic scale would be A-B-C#-E-F#

A minor penatonic scale consists of 1, b3, 4, 5, b7. So an A minor penatonic scale would be :
A-C-D-E-G
At least explain key signatures or even say that you're using them before posting something confusing like that.

Quote by Dave_Gray
But how do I work that out into a minor pentatonic? With major pentatonic, you find your route and then clockwise, the next 4 notes are your major pentatonic - as far as I know and have read. But that wouldn't be the same for minor pentatonic, no? Unless the best way of doing it would be to find the major and then turn it into the relative minor?
If you want to find say, G minor pentatonic using the CoF, do it using Bb major to find the notes. Obviously, you should use G as your root. You would see that the notes are Bb F C G D. Those are the notes in G minor pentatonic, but in a different order. They would go G Bb C D F in G minor pentatonic.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
At least explain key signatures or even say that you're using them before posting something confusing like that.

If you want to find say, G minor pentatonic using the CoF, do it using Bb major to find the notes. Obviously, you should use G as your root. You would see that the notes are Bb F C G D. Those are the notes in G minor pentatonic, but in a different order. They would go G Bb C D F in G minor pentatonic.

Well, if you didn't already know...I explained everything in the key of C
Quote by krymson

Quote by VR2005

Quote by bangoodcharlote
WTF are you talking about?

Im just saying, when i explained how to get penatonic scales, i Explained everything in C, you said mention if im using key signatures....
Quote by krymson

Quote by VR2005

Quote by modestmouse9191
Im just saying, when i explained how to get penatonic scales, i Explained everything in C, you said mention if im using key signatures....
You explained everything in A major. A major is not the relative major of C minor. C minor uses a key signature anyway.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You explained everything in A major. A major is not the relative major of C minor. C minor uses a key signature anyway.

It's kind of hard to talk in a key signature with no manuscript paper...well, if i had written everything on manuscript paper, it would've been in the key of C, because i would've had to write in the sharps, but i did explain everything in A major, I didn't get what you were saying at first
Quote by krymson

Quote by VR2005

Last edited by modestmouse9191 at Jun 5, 2006,
Do you have any idea what you're talking about Mr. Mouse?

Quote by modestmouse9191
To find a regular major scale, such as A, the last sharp is always a half step down form the octave. So the last sharp of A is G.
I have a problem with you saying that without explaining key signatures. I know about them and I was confused when I read that. What do you think someone who doesn't know about them would think when they read that?

Quote by modestmouse9191
If I explained everything in the key of A major
You did explain everything in A major. A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#-A-Looks like A major to me!
Besides...I know, the relative major of C minor is Eb major
Quote by krymson

Quote by VR2005

Really, i wasn't really talking in a key...I just used the A major scale as an example
Quote by krymson

Quote by VR2005

Quote by modestmouse9191

That has got to be the dumbest way of finding scales. Bar none.

And you're just confusing everyone. Get your facts straight, then post.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by redwing_suck

Thank you.
Fine...since everyone here whines too much...i'll just post them all

MAJOR SCALES:

C: C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

G: G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G

D: D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#-D

A: A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#-A

E: E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#-E

B: B-C#-D#-E-F#-G#-A#-B

F#: F#-G#-A#-B-C#-D#-E#-F#

C#: C#-D#-E#-F#-G#-A#-B#-C#

F: F-G-A-Bb-C-D-E-F

Bb: Bb-A-B-C-D-Eb-F-G-A-Bb

Eb: Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb-C-D-Eb

Ab: Ab-Bb-C-Db-Eb-F-G-Ab

Db: Db-Eb-F-Gb-Ab-Bb-C-Db

Gb: Gb-Ab-Bb-Cb-Dd-Eb-F-Gb

Cb: Cb-Db-Eb-Fb-Gb-Ab-Bb-Cb

I guess, you can just memorize them or come up with your own way of memorizing
Quote by krymson

Quote by VR2005

Last edited by modestmouse9191 at Jun 5, 2006,
Quote by redwing_suck

What facts do i have wrong
Quote by krymson

Quote by VR2005

Holy Double Post, Batman!

*Reported*

Quote by modestmouse9191
Fine...since everyone here whines too much...i'll just post them all...I guess, you can just memorize them or come up with your own way of memorizing
Ever think of using the scale degrees?
lmao, i guess you have nothing to say after i posted all those scales, so, you wanted to feel high up and try to win the argument by reporting me
Quote by krymson

Quote by VR2005

Quote by modestmouse9191
lmao, i guess you have nothing to say after i posted all those scales, so, you wanted to feel high up and try to win the argument by reporting me
Except I did say something.
yeah, about scale degrees....listen...just because you don't like the way i find scales (using the circle of 5ths/4ths) doesn't mean you have to bash me. Use scale degrees i don't care, i was just giving advice, and maybe you take it, maybe you don't, if you don't like it, don't bash it jeez
Quote by krymson

Quote by VR2005

Quote by modestmouse9191
yeah, about scale degrees....listen...just because you don't like the way i find scales (using the circle of 5ths/4ths) doesn't mean you have to bash me. Use scale degrees i don't care, i was just giving advice, and maybe you take it, maybe you don't, if you don't like it, don't bash it jeez
Except you're acting like a putz and spamming a thread and senselessly arguing with an intelligent member of this board when you are wrong!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Except you're acting like a putz and spamming a thread and senselessly arguing with an intelligent member of this board when you are wrong!

wrong about what
Quote by krymson

Quote by VR2005

Quote by modestmouse9191
wrong about what
Perhaps not wrong but explained in a terrible and confusing way. You explained the silliest way to find scales. You posted the CoF backwards. You explained something that involved the key signature without even explaining the key signature.
Alright, so I'm not wrong, but i explained it bad. Oh well, too bad, I already posted it, im not gonna say anymore unless you want to add a smart ass comment
Quote by krymson

Quote by VR2005