you can buy replacemnt nuts. but guitar shop would be the lazy man way out.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
around $20-30 at a shop.

or buy a nut like said, and score and tap out the other one. get a replacement for a few dollars.

in the meantime if u have the old piece u can try to glue it back on.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I probably need to replace these strings as well.

Lazy way out sounds nice
Quote by jj1565

or buy a nut like said, and score and tap out the other one. get a replacement for a few dollars.

Score and tap out?

I have no idea what that means
Ok, thanks!

They're gonna rip me off to replace the nut and re-string it aren't they? :p
I don't know how to, simple as that, I'm afraid.

I am quite new to this, so I don't understand the technical jargon and whatnot.

Do you have a link which outlines how to do all of this?
i would give u a step by step on how to change a nut.

but if ur not going to do it, then just take the guitar into the shop and ask if u can watch him restring a guitar.

(probably cant watch him string urs, cause itll usually takes a couple of days to fix.)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
i would give u a step by step on how to change a nut.

I would like that a lot
ok first u need to identify which nut u need and order a precut nut. either online or from an authorized dealer. order two of them if they are cheap.

then, get a sharp box cutting type blade.
when i say u need to "score" the nut, i mean u carefull cut around the edges of the nut, in case there was any paint overlap.
it will help free the nut from its spot.

then, taking a tiny hammer and screwdriver, lightly tap out the old nut. sometimes there is a little glue holding it in place. to prevent the wood from chipping, u might want to heat up the joint with a hair drier first.

after the nut is out, u see if the new nut fits. (it wont)

u tape a peice of sandpaper to a table and run the new nut over the paper until u file down just enough to get a snug fit.
drop of glue then place the nut in the spot.

restring.

*keep in mind some guys take out the old nut first to get an idea of size, but then u will have an unstrung guitar until the new nut arrives. u dont want to leave a guitar unstring for too long.

also, draw pencil lines on the nut, when ur filing it, to make sure u dont file too much off.

and make sure u get the same gauge strings. if they dont fit in the precut slots, then repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Zeds.Ded
you can buy replacemnt nuts. but guitar shop would be the lazy man way out.

^^^ or the busy man's way out, or maybe even the smart man's way out, as a professional would surely do a good job and not cause additional damage, whereas a novice just might