Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody here knew about wood changes in guitars. I heard that depending on the wood its made from, the wood will change depending on the enviorment, weather, temperature , age ect. Does this actually happen? I know if itsd left in the sun something will happen but i dont know what apart from the coulor fading. Does it effect the tone? Does it make the guitar sound bad?

The more you play your guitar the better tone you will get. Especially on acoustics.
Quote by LP Junior
The more you play your guitar the better tone you will get. Especially on acoustics.

Wtf?? that doesnt make sense
if you leave a wood guitar in moisture that will really affect the tone, if it goes from cold to warm the wood will expand and finish cracks will happen, thats all i can think of right now
As you play your guitar, the vibrations created by the strings that we hear as different notes will resonate through the wood, and in turn make the fibres of the wood vibrate (very small vibrations) ... the more you play the guitar the more the wood vibrates, this makes the wood more flexible (relative to what it was before you started playing it, we'r not talkin as flexible as rubber or anytin) and the result of this is a more resonant and tonal guitar.

Acoustics are much more susceptable to this since the sound the produce is craploads louder than an electric (un-amped).

This process happens as the guitar ages, hence why old (quality) acoustic guitars are quite sought after.

However, if you want to cheat at this ageing process, you can grab ur acoustic and stick it next to your TV or any Hi-Fi/sound system, and as the speakers produce sound, the guitar will undergo the same effect as if you were playing it for all that time.

I'm not too clued up on what woods are most resonant or whatever, but in terms of classical guitars certianly, Spruce ages like I said above very very well, much better than most other woods, hence why most expencive classical guitars atleast have a spruce top.

Last edited by Calum Margey at Jun 5, 2006,
If you leave it in the sun, the wood will start to bend.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
You really have to be worried about how temperature change affects the neck. Inside the neck is the truss-rod, long metal rod which bends and ensures that your wood doesnt snap when the strings apply forces. If there is heat involve, the metal will expand, basic physics, also will the neck. But if the neck is expanding towards the other way (may be according to the grain), while the rod on the other way, then after it cools down, they may not be back at its norm. This may lead to twisted neck and all sorts of problem.

All in all, its not really good to let your guitar be heated up in the sun for quite a lot of times. Case it good with a hardcase that insulates the heat or reflects heat well.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
oh, and humidity is a killer aswell, humitidy can warp your guitar, not really with solid bodies, but any acoustic or hollowbody guitar could get very badly warped with just a little increase in temperature and humidity.
Wow this guy knows his stuff, thanks

My hollowbody electric is made from Spruce well the back is made from Sycamore, how does that do? Iv had it for about a month, how many years do you think it will take for it to gain a really nice deep sound, at hte moment its a bit shallow acoustically.
Also why does Spruce age so well?