can someone give me some help with the major and minor scales. i just need the scales and there patterns/ modes and what they are called. thanks.
First of all, I am explaining everything in the key of C (no sharps, no flats)

A scale consists of a note, and it's octave(such as middle C, and the C next higher up), and the 6 notes in between that fit the formula: Whole-Whole-half-Whole-Whole-Whole-half.

What does all this whole half stuff mean? Well, it is the space between each note. These spaces, i refer to them, as "steps".Two half steps equal one whole step(it's all math). You can combine these steps to create different intervals. Between most of the notes in the musical alphebet, there is a Major 2 interval [two half steps(one whole step)]. This is the case, except between B and C, and E and F. Between B and C there is only a half step, as is there for E and F.

So, a C Major scale would be C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C
...............................................\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
...............................................WW h WWW h

Now, say for a scale like G, there is a WHOLE step between the E and the F. Soooo...then we would have to raise the F a half step and make it F#.

G Major: G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G
................\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
................WW h WWW h

(note: there is only a half step between F# and G)

The final example I'm going to give is the F major scale. Now, in an F major scale there is only a A and B. So, it doesn't quite make it, so then we get Bb<---that's a flat sign.

F major: F-G-A-Bb-C-D-E-F
...............\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
...............WW h WWW h

(note: there is a WHOLE step between Bb and C)

Well, there you go, it is a very time consuming way of finding scales, and it's very grueling, there is a better way though, this is a quote from another post i did:

Quote by modestmouse9191
I don't really get your question, but I think you're asking how to find the different penatonic scales using the circle of 5ths

Well first of all, the circle of 5ths is F-C-G-D-A-E-B-F#-C#

To find a regular major scale, such as A, the last sharp is always a half step down form the octave. So the last sharp of A is G. Then you go backwards from G till you get to F to find all the sharps in the A major scale.(So all the sharps in the A major scale would be F# C# and G#). Now, to find the acutal scale, just put the notes in order. A major: A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#-A

Now, to find the penatonic scale, you take the 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 tone of that scale. So...an A major penatonic scale would be A-B-C#-E-F#

A minor penatonic scale consists of 1, b3, 4, 5, b7. So an A minor penatonic scale would be :
A-C-D-E-G
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...