I recorded my friends acoustice song, and he gave me permisson to put it on here. I do a lot of recording for local muscians/bands. Just trying to get some feed back on it. Didn't have much time to do this, but still got it done. Recorded everything in a half hour. Just let me know what you think, and crit for crit as always. it's called "THINKING ABOUT YOU"

www.myspace.com/noopinionstudios
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
well since you recorded it i guess ill talk about stuff i noticed in the actual recording....it's a bit bass heavy, particularly in the vox....some of the background vox are rather quiet compared to the initial vocals....the drums are mixed in nicely though to the level of the guitar but actually could be a bit louder in my opinion......for doing it in 30 minutes not bad really, there is a lot of real good stuff there, just mainly volume and EQ issues.....good job!
I fixed, and it sounds better. thanks for the crit. What background vox?

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
I like that the vocals are kind of abrasive and annoying and the acousitic part doesnt change much for awhile. I absolutely like the concept there though it sounds good... It could use an intro and if you work out the guitar part right it will hold its own. In acoustic instrumental, you are the only intrument so you need to fill all the gaps and keep the person interesting.

Overall a good job.

The harmonics are pretty fitting.
I like how you have everything tweaked pretty well into the recording.
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 5, 2006,
well the only guitar part i did was the harmonic part. He is basically a singer and plays a little acoustic. I just though it added something extra to the mix. I have fixed the eq since then, but i am to lazy to post it, i might post it later, so you can get idea of how to eq your song.

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
^haha by background vocals i was trying to imply that the volume levels were so contrasting it made one seem like the background vox, but i can definitely tell a huge difference in the beginning, i would say this is a very quality recording for an amatuer (arent we all haha) and you've definitely got skills to improve upon! great job again!
the new mixed version of it sounds better, but i still think that the vocals need some work...they are rather...annoying...but i really like the guitar part, especially the harmonic sections of it, which are done perfectly...except that in the new mix of it there is no electric, and i think that this song "needs" it, if you get what i mean...also, and i hate to "trash" your hard work, but i felt that it was just a little bit too long, and somewhat repetetive...but it is definitely better than the first mix of it, so good job so far...
There wasn't electric in the old mix. Should I add a short solo or something? or maybe a lead?
The vocals are annoying, that's just because my friend can't really sing. Is ti really that bad of a song?

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
no, not at all, i really liked it, just that the vocals needed some work...by an electric, on the myspace one it sounded like an electric came in...anyway, all that i meant was that maybe to pick it up in the end there should be an electric guitar accompanying the acoustic...but no, it was not a bad song at all...i didn't mean to trash it...sorry...
Ok. But what do you mean by accompany it? play the chords along with it, write a harmony, or maybe a lead? Let me know

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
well that is more up to the artists than to me, but i would probably have the electric strumming the "fifths" of the chords, as in if the acoustic plays a d, then the electric plays a d5, or if it is an e, than the electric plays an e5(note: those are power chords)...if you were to put a lead or a harmony in there, i would have a solo or something...so a power chord accompanyment, and possibly a solo...but that is just one person's opinion
I think i'm going with a lead and harmony. thanks though

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
hey man, whatever suits you...i didn't mean to give you the impression that i thought your song sucked or anything, i really liked it!
thanks, i don't think i'll work on it anymore, because i have other songs i want to get finished for my band. Ohh well. I have a cool idea for a harmony and a lead, maybe i will put it on there eventually.

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab