well, basically, ima young guitarist been playing for 6 months, but i dont know what songs to play. im into alot of nirvana, greenday, muse, offspring, bowling for soup etc. i want to know from the level that im at, what songs i should therefore learn to help me progress...

i can play

3 doors down - kryptonite
greenday - armerican idiot (whole album)
offspring - Pretty fly
" "- want you bad
muse - intro plug in baby
nirvana - smells like teen spirit.
chilli peppers - californication

a few others too but can someone give me say 10-20 songs that can lead me upto beign a good player please?
Try learning some Beatles - Blackbird, intro to Ozzy - Momma I'm comin home, Kansas - Dust in the Wind, to increase your fingerpicking a bit.

For Chords, I enjoy playing Blind Melon - No Rain, Eagles - Hotel California, good chord progression.

And it sounds like you need some good solos under your belt, learn the minor pentatonic scale and just go at it.
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Oh, and I know how hard it can be... but find a song, an easy one with chords, and try over a while to learn it, completely by ear. No tab or chord pages. 100% by ear. It's really hard at first, but once you start figuring it out, it becomes easier.

One more song I like playing, RHCP - Under the Bridge.
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Lynard Skynard-Simple Man, intro to Guns N Roses-Sweet Child O' Mine, or AC/DC-Back in Black
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin

Pm me and I'll give you a link to God's forum! It still needs mods

62% of teens smoke pot, put this in your profile if you like lesbians

Can I play With Madness ny Iron maiden is easy, even the solo's not that hard at all.
Whole Lotta Love by Zeppelin is fairly easy too.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Being an "older" beginner I picked some "older" songs but they still stand up today.

House of the Rising Sun--recorded in a zillion styles from blues to rock--gives ya a lot of practice on hitting F if that chord's troublesome

Rolling Stones "Dead Flowers" (also been covered in different styles) Really simple song can be rock, ballad or blues depending on how you decide to play it.

After the Gold Rush - Neil Young-- if you can master the chord switch from A to Bm in this song, the rest of it's a piece of cake.

Bottle Rockets - Smokin' 100's Alone. A relatively obscure band but a great song. You can probably find it somewhere to download and tabs/chords are available.

Pretty much most of the Lynyrd Skynyrd catalog...they didn't seem to ever get too complex. I've vowed that "DeadBird" will never come out of my guitar but it's a pretty simple song and some nut's always drunk in the audience yelling for it so if you plan to play in public someday you'll need it. (stupid is as stupid does I guess)

Eric Clapton's "Badge" Another easy if you can get the Bm change--I know there's a cheat Bm that isn't a barre chord you can use there but do it with the barre chord and you'll be WAY ahead of the game later--or so I'm told...

I'm still fighting the A to Bm battle and pretty much any battle that involves changing to Bm barred....
Learn Master of puppets, you will be better after that song.
Member # 2 of the Kiss Sucks and Has Too Much **** They Hock as Merchindise Club Pm DoTheEvolution to join.
I think you guys aren't remembering that he's not into that kind of music...

If you want a good solo to learn, also a great song that the chicks really dig, try learning "The Hell Song" by Sum 41. Also, learn the solo. It's a slightly challenging solo to learn, and it's lots of fun to play.

Keep learning more of The Offspring. "Come Out to Play (Gotta Keep 'Em Seperated)", "The Kids Aren't Allright", "Gotta Get Away" are all great songs that are very simple, and will teach you some techniques if you practice them. You'll learn a little bit about what sounds good with variations of power chords and such if you learn these songs.

Then I recommend learning the minor pentatonic scale.

E----------------------------------3--6--3-----------------------------------|
B----------------------------3--6-----------6--3-----------------------------|
G---------------------3--5-------------------------5--3----------------------|
D--------------3--5--------------------------------------5--3----------------|
A--------3--5---------------------------------------------------5--3---------|
E-3--6----------------------------------------------------------------6--3---|

Note that the above scale is the Gm Pentatonic. You can move it around the fretboard, as long as you keep the finger pattern 1, 4, 1, 3, 1, 3, 1, 3, 1, 4, 1, 4.

Good luck, and PM me if you need some more advice or help.
Quote by lespaul_rentals
I think you guys aren't remembering that he's not into that kind of music...

Seriously, who cares? He wanted songs to help him progress. Sometimes you have to be openminded to learn
Ah im in a similar situation to him, i can play:

Dookie album
Some offspring (but im stuck on The Kids Arent Alright)
Sweet child o Mine
Lithium - Nirvana
S.L.T.S ^^
Holiday - Greenday
Good Riddance ^^
Burn Burn - Lostprophets
Bits of trivium songs
Duality-Slipknot
Countless random riffs

Any ideas how i could progress?
While were on the topic, I can play most of the scales pretty well and fast, and attempted some theory on them..... but I still don't find myself getting any better at solos. I'm probably more advanced than this kid as I can play the beginning of Black Dog by Zeppelin pretty fast and Purple Haze by Hendrix.... so I need some solos to learn. Send as many as ****ing possible and I don't care what type of music!!!!! Chord songs, a few at least, wouldn't be bad either.
The times they are a changin'.....
I can play Purple Haze, Hey Joe and the first minute or so of Voodoo Child (forgot them lol).
Shouldn't matter what kind of song it is as long as you know what it's supposed to sound like when you play it. You can always take the song later, after you become proficient at it, and make it pretty much any style you want. Some songs have been recorded hundreds of times in multiple styles and hits in multiple genres.

Besides a lot of newer stuff retros back to older stuff -- styles come and go--
Hate to break it to you, but you won't get any better playing green day, nirvana, bowling for soup...

if you want to improve your technique, try some metal, master of puppets is a great exercise, the
------2-----3
-0-1---0-1 thing is good, dont worry about playing it full speed, its very difficult. work on it in sections, getting it perfect slowly and working up.

as for playing guitar in general, there are many classic rock songs with great guitar parts, one obviously being stairway to heaven. Its at the top of the top 100 for a reason.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Thanks i've had alot of reccomendations of M.O.P and will give it a go. Ive been trying to learn alot of metalcore sortof stuff like trivium licks and Funeral for a friend.
Quote by Italy's Finest
While were on the topic, I can play most of the scales pretty well and fast, and attempted some theory on them..... but I still don't find myself getting any better at solos.

Knowing scales doesn't make you better at copying other people's solos, rather it lets you make up your own variations of the solo easily, as long as you stay within the scale shape.

Try burning to a CD some backing tracks and improvising solos to them using Pentatonic scales. It's great fun, and helps you alot.
I should start doing that, for my grade 2 exam i have to improvise a solo using Em Blues scale over a chord progression.
first do some speed exercises then i recommend stairway to heaven solo, another brick in the wall and red house...it might sound far-fetched but i've only been playing 8 months and at the 6 month period i began learning these songs and it help to no end