well i just tried the mx and if the dk is anything like it i wouldnt bother, the neck felt terrible to me ... kinda like plastic coated cardboard, and if you do get one i would change the strings instantly and the trem wasn't to great, but ofc this is all personal opinion and everyone feels differently. the emgs whihc i belive are the same on both models do sound quite nice however.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
RG, i was going to buy it but i ended up getting a S520EX, the RG is my next guitar, also, they are prestige, fantastic quality on wood and thin wizard necks on those badass guitars, get the RG dude.
though the colour choices are wank to be honest, glitter.. eugh
Quote by tommyt
well i just tried the mx and if the dk is anything like it i wouldnt bother, the neck felt terrible to me ... kinda like plastic coated cardboard, and if you do get one i would change the strings instantly and the trem wasn't to great, but ofc this is all personal opinion and everyone feels differently. the emgs whihc i belive are the same on both models do sound quite nice however.

rofl so basically you're saying you have no clue, but you tried a guitar by the same company and you didn't like it.

Thats like me saying I played a ****ty RG and trying to compare it to a 1570.

And change the strings? I'd change them on any guitar I bought from a store. lol.
Like I said, you can't go wrong either way... but I'd get the Jackson. It's funner to play, better pups, and JT580. The Jackson has character and stamina... it's evil looking!
Another key factor is the wood. Go with the Jackson since it uses Alder instead of firewood (basswood)

I take back my "you can't go wrong either way post". AVOID BASSWOOD!
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
rofl so basically you're saying you have no clue, but you tried a guitar by the same company and you didn't like it.

Thats like me saying I played a ****ty RG and trying to compare it to a 1570.

And change the strings? I'd change them on any guitar I bought from a store. lol.

lets take a quick look at the specs shall we .... lets see they both have the alder body, check

both have emg hz pickups, check

both have the same JT580 LP Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo, check.

the same scale maple neck and rosewood fretboard check.

so the difference between the two would be what exactly the gain boost on the dk and the pihrana inlays? yep big difference there for about $150
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
Why avoid basswood? Are you retarded??? its just ur personal opinion and i here mostly from you all the **** talking so people believe you. Basswood is in middle of alder and mahogany. Those are the 3 top and also swamp ash. Dumbass, go get some basswood and your guitars wood and burn both of them.....
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Quote by sylent
Why avoid basswood? Are you retarded??? its just ur personal opinion and i here mostly from you all the **** talking so people believe you. Basswood is in middle of alder and mahogany. Those are the 3 top and also swamp ash. Dumbass, go get some basswood and your guitars wood and burn both of them.....

You're a complete Dumbass! Do you really believe what you wrote or are you just that ignorant?

To back up my statement that BASSWOOD is nothing more that soft and cheap Japanese FIREWOOD, which cannot handle the abuse and sounds way too dark.

Here is a link to make sylent silent before he makes more of an ass of himself.

Buy the Jackson (since it has better wood and hardware) and is up to American standards.... Has a killer tone, full of sound and very heavy duty light weight wood.

II. Body Material
--------------------

There are several different wood types used by Fender in making Strats. A
short list follows below
1. Alder: used in several American guitars like the Strat Plus, Clapton,
and American Standard. Light weight (body weight about 4 lb.) with a full
sound.
2. Ash: the main type used by Fender USA is swamp ash because it provides
a light weight (body wt about 5 lb.) guitar with a balance of high and low
end.
3. Mahogany: Fender uses the Honduran variety on their set-neck series;
provides a moderate to heavy weight (body weight at least 5 lb.) with a
warm, full sound and good sustain; used in conjunction with a maple top to
add brightness.
4. Poplar: don9t know too much about this wood. It is probably available
in larger quantities than Alder so Fender is using it in some guitars.
5. Basswood: several Japanese reissue models use Basswood. Produces a
light (body wt less than 4 lb.) guitar though some people find the sound
to be too "dark". Basswood is a very soft wood and cannot handle a lot of
abuse (though who among us would abuse our guitars?).
Quote by sylent

****Why avoid basswood?****

Cause it?s Sh-it!

***Are you retarded???***

Hardly, you?re just ignorant and I proved that. I?ll prove it again, watch?.

**** its just ur personal opinion and i here mostly from you all the **** talking so people believe you.****

Do you know how to use proper grammar, spell, or use punctuation?

Idiot lesson 101 ?(here=hear)
Idiot lesson 102 ?(i=I)
Idiot lesion 102 ?(people believe me because I provide facts and can back it up, can you?)

****Basswood is in middle of alder and mahogany.****

Really? That?s laughable! You are a stupid, you do realize this?. Don?t you?

****Those are the 3 top and also swamp ash. Dumbass, go get some basswood and your guitars wood and burn both of them.....****

Can provide a link?
Quote by tommyt
lets take a quick look at the specs shall we .... lets see they both have the alder body, check

both have emg hz pickups, check

both have the same JT580 LP Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo, check.

the same scale maple neck and rosewood fretboard check.

so the difference between the two would be what exactly the gain boost on the dk and the pihrana inlays? yep big difference there for about $150

Same scale length and fretboard material doesn't make any difference, does it? Okay, I played a strat last week with an identical scale length and number of frets, so I guess I can say that I know what a jackson plays like too, right? These are two very important things you refuse to consider (or aknowlege.)

Second, the DKMG has EMG Actives, an 81/85 set, not HZs.

Thirdly, if it had a gain boost and sweet inlay, that would be an entirely extra bonus.

So essentially you're wrong on your two most important points. The necks are different, the pickups are different.

I couldn't find an "X" series on jackson's website other than the DX10D, which is in a completely different (lower) league than the DKMG. Next time before you open your mouth you might as well try being correct about what the **** you're saying, especially when you want to act like a douche.

Lets compare the guitars for everyone here-

Jackson- Alder
Ibanez- Basswood (haha, firewood)
Winner- Jackson

Jackson- EMG Actives
Ibanez- IBZ By Dimarzio (junk) pickups
Winner- Jackson

The only thing that Ibanez MIGHT have on the jackson is the tremelo, which can be replaced for less than it'd cost for pickups and the price difference between the two. There have been about a dozen of these arguements on the forum.

Every single time I win. Why? Because the jackson is just a better guitar for the price, and if you can't decide between the two preference-wise, the jackson takes teh cake price-wise, so its the clear winner.

Take your ibanez eliteism and **** yourself with it.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Jun 5, 2006,
chazzy, since i know what type of person you are, i can tell your a such a loser who double-posts because they afraid of people pwning them in few words. Your saying who wants to abuse your guitar?? I guess you want to, go for it, alder aint bad, basswood isnt bad either.

I dont see anyone back you up at all idiot. and it sounds like you burned some basswood already. Congrats to you.

I dont give a fu_ck about my grammar on the internet. Showing me also double-posting is always a rule, your one of those little ****ers who cant do **** other than talk **** writing 2 posts full with stupid ****. It sounds also to me you dont like japanese guitars? I like them, many like them, but flooding someones thread with full of **** is non-sense.

People? you mean yourself right? Give me a break.....

swamp ash, alder, basswood, and mahogany are really good wood. Now suggest him the best firewood and its called: AGATHIS! So stfu little whining bi_tch!

Oh all in one post now huh?

Personal opinion; i hate stratocasters.....
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Last edited by sylent at Jun 5, 2006,
http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk/cart/product.asp?key=51990

http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk/cart/product.asp?key=51991

hmm lets see the dk on tope the bottom the mx

yup stats check out the same ... hz's in both, neck is the same, body is the same

looks like i was right after all
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
Quote by sylent
chazzy, since i know what type of person you are, i can tell your a such a loser who double-posts because they afraid of people pwning them in few words. Your saying who wants to abuse your guitar?? I guess you want to, go for it, alder aint bad, basswood isnt bad either.

I dont see anyone back you up at all idiot. and it sounds like you burned some basswood already. Congrats to you.

I dont give a fu_ck about my grammar on the internet. Showing me also double-posting is always a rule, your one of those little ****ers who cant do **** other than talk **** writing 2 posts full with stupid ****. It sounds also to me you dont like japanese guitars? I like them, many like them, but flooding someones thread with full of **** is non-sense.

People? you mean yourself right? Give me a break.....

swamp ash, alder, basswood, and mahogany are really good wood. Now suggest him the best firewood and its called: AGATHIS! So stfu little whining bi_tch!

Oh all in one post now huh?

Personal opinion; i hate stratocasters.....

All that to back up nothing you claim?

If you're personal preference is BASSWOOD over ALDER then you have low standards and don't have much of an ear for tone.

Also, I don't need to people to back me up... I have evidence to which I have provided. The OP is welcome to read the link and decide for himself to which is the best choice for his needs.

Abuse guitars isn't something I purposely do, but when you enjoy playing and gigging as much as I do, then you'll realize that Alder is a much better choice for the abuse and a more quality tone.... which obviously you fail see or hear.

I'll be waiting for your evidence to back up your claims, until then, STFU!
lol a flame war about wood fancy that...
anyway to threadstarter. The ibanez rg1570 isnt too bad got a good trem , made in japan , however the pickups arent too good and there not my thing personally.
The jackson dkmg if you are interested in that i'd wait till the newer line gets to the uk with the real emgs and (supposedly) upgraded tremolo system, which probably wont be up to edge standards but still.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
^^^ My point about wood is the most important factor in purchasing a guitar... you can upgrade everything on a guitar, but you can never upgrade the wood without buying the guitar with the better wood.

The Jackson is a better guitar between the two. Not just because of the wood, but because of the quality, tone, pups, craftsmanship.
Quote by tommyt
http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk/cart/product.asp?key=51990

http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk/cart/product.asp?key=51991

hmm lets see the dk on tope the bottom the mx

yup stats check out the same ... hz's in both, neck is the same, body is the same

looks like i was right after all

Thats why the jackson website says they're EMG 81/85, right?

Because I know companies overseas know more about the product than the company itself I'm assuming?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMG-Dinky?sku=512231

That says otherwise. The biggest online guitar/music retailer in the world I'm pretty sure. So why would the company AND the largest retailer be wrong?

Okay, thats what I thought. Shut the **** up. You're the one reccomending a ****ing STRING CHANGE. Oh no, so you don't like the way the neck plays, DONT BUY THE GUITAR.

Quality wise they're just as good, if not better for the value of an ibanez.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Jun 5, 2006,
It's just me, but both have equally good sound. Playability is great on both. I like the Dinky for the look. And the feel is more my type. But, that's just me.
Quote by Chazzy29

If you're personal preference is BASSWOOD over ALDER then you have low standards and don't have much of an ear for tone.

...or maybe, just maybe, he likes the darker tone.
its just a hunch, though.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Thats why the jackson website says they're EMG 81/85, right?

Because I know companies overseas know more about the product than the company itself I'm assuming?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMG-Dinky?sku=512231

That says otherwise. The biggest online guitar/music retailer in the world I'm pretty sure. So why would the company AND the largest retailer be wrong?

Okay, thats what I thought. Shut the **** up. You're the one reccomending a ****ing STRING CHANGE. Oh no, so you don't like the way the neck plays, DONT BUY THE GUITAR.

Quality wise they're just as good, if not better for the value of an ibanez.

im not considering buying the guitar you clown, he asked about that guitar, the reference i had was on that ****ing website if jackson says different thats fine and im glad you took the time to look at their website and musicians friend to try and prove your point, yes i recommended changing the strings common sence perhaps but alot of people dont change the ****ing strings straight away, you might it doesnt mean everyone else would, im not saying jacksons wrong im not saying musicians friend is wrong, like i said i went from the specs listed on the website selling the guitar he was asking about, which happens to list the neck as being exactly the same as the neck i had just been playing 20 minutes earlier which TO ME felt like ****, and i did say in my original post it was personal opinion

when i went into the store the jackson was tagged as a dk, and i wanted to try it but looking at this i relaise it was actually an mx but if you want to continue to be pissy about it fine.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
Quote by Gopher636
...or maybe, just maybe, he likes the darker tone.
its just a hunch, though.

As I stated, perhaps he does, in fact, like the generic sounding guitars... It's evident for his lack of ear for tone.

I've been playing for 17yrs so I understand that I am more picky than the average joe.

BASSWOOD isn't used by many professionals for a reason.
^ hahahaha , except most shredders?
Quote by codybcool
Stagg's are the kind of brand that you see selling on eBay from a 0 feedback Chinese man for 99p and no one buys them.
Quote by SlashHammett
^ hahahaha , except most shredders?

***MOST***?

Mmmm, interesting.

I found the only BASSWOOD was JS.

Vai:

The Ibanez JEM7V Steve Vai Signature Electric Guitar is a top-of-the-line 6-string solidbody capable of exploring the most extreme sonic territories at any speed.

*JEM Prestige neck
*5-piece maple/walnut neck
*25-1/2" neck scale
*Alder body
*Rosewood fingerboard
*Recessed Edge Pro bridge/tremolo
*DiMarzio Evolution neck humbucker
*DiMarzio Evolution middle single-coil
*DiMarzio Evolution bridge humbucker
*Vine fretboard inlay
*Gold hardware
*25-1/2" scale
*43mm nut width
*24 jumbo frets

Yngwie Malmsteen:

*Series: Artist Series Fender Stratocaster

*Body: Alder, (Polyurethane Finish)

*Neck: Maple, Modern ?C? Shape, (Nitro-Cellulose Lacquer Finish)

*Fingerboard: Scalloped Maple , 9.5 in. Radius (241 mm)

*No. of Frets: 21 Dunlop 6000 Super-Jumbo Frets

*Pickups: 2 Dimarzio YJM Pickups (Neck & Middle), 1 Dimarzio HS-3 Stack (Bridge)

--------------------------------------

So where are the *most* shredders BASSWOOD guitars at?

Why does the CHEAP Japanese make reissue models using BASSWOOD if it is so good? Why not just use the actual wood or Alder?

You claims hold no water... try again Bubba.
Thanks for the replies, however I didn't want to start a flame war *cry*

I've tried out the Ibanez RG1570 at the actual store, it felt awesome and very easy to play. However it was unplugged, not enough time to play plugged. The Jackson DKMG looks very appealling, appearence-wise I'd prefer the Jackson. However, when I played it, the neck was a tad slow IMO, and it was all out of tune. Not the guitar's fault. Tried it on a Fender Hotrod, sounded good but not brilliant. I asked an amp better for distortion but the shop assistant didn't listen. :/

I'll try them out again, and see if they are any better than last visit.

P.S, Would the Ibanez be more versatile seeing as it has HSH combo instead of HH? (leaning towards the Ibanez atm) Could always change out the pickups on Ibanez.
Last edited by Mwoit at Jun 5, 2006,
I like HH. Never had a use for HSH.

And the fact that the Ibanez BASSWOOD is a deal breaker for me. But you should get the one you like the best. Armatures can't tell the difference in tone anyhow.
I HAVE THAT JACKSON! haha.. i could never find it any where on the internet.. thanks for the link lmao..

my jackson the day i got it
wth does the "MG TurboCharger (20db Variable Gain Boost)" do? i hae no idea what that knob does cause im such a noob
EDIT: wow, i just found out.. i had this guitar for 3 months.. and didnt know it could do that... im an idiot
Last edited by Andrewsonfire at Jun 5, 2006,
i have an RG2570E Prestige with basswood body, and its great. You shouldnt mouth off Basswood for being poor quality, cos its not.

If you go to Ibanez site and check up on Steve vai's signatures he has 3 up.

1 with alder.
3 with basswood.

Kind makes your post up there invalid.

I would get the RG, because im biased and love mine.

Stop your childish posts about basswood, i use it and own you at guitar.
Quote by adam02

Stop your childish posts about basswood, i use it and own you at guitar.

LoL- And you call me childish?

"i use it and own you at guitar"

And my daddy can lick your daddy!

Back to the point... BASSWOOD sucks! I've played and owned well over a 1000 guitars and have 17yrs under my belt.

Like I said... Tone def people really wouldn't have a clue anyhow.
Im not tone deaf. No one cares about your 17 years, or the fact that youve owned 1000 guitars.

Your an idiot pal, as far as your concerned having a guitar thats made of alder makes you a pro, well it doesnt i know hundreds of people who dont have 17 years of picking their arses and own basswood guitars and they all excel compared to you worrying about what your guitar colour is or what wood its made of.

No one likes you and your picking fights with teenagers because they have basswood guitars.

Steve vai's signatures are mostly basswood, what do you say about that? He must be tone deaf right? wrong.

THe guy is asking for people's opinions on which guitar he should get, Give your opinion then go home and plant tree's to make alder bodied guitars out of your arse, cos thats all thats coming out of you at this moment.

If someone prefer's the RG, then accept his opinion and stop being a child.
eddie van halen and john petrucci use basswood
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Post the link where I said that I owned 1000 guitars. I said I played and owned in combination of over a 1000 guitars.

FYI- 5 of the current 13 guitars I own are Mahogany. My Yamaha is the only BASSWOOD that I currently own. It's packed away in it's case.... gee, I wonder why?

Guitars revolve around my life... it's what I do and enjoy. I choose to play 6-12 hrs everyday because I don't care about anything else... it's all I know... and I am here to tell you that BASSWOOD is a poor quality.

Not to mention that the Jackson he is interested in already has 81/85 EMG's all wired up. (let me guess, you're going to tell me that the Ibanez V7 - V8 - and - S1 are better also)

BASSWOOD is a popular cheap Japanese wood in reissued guitars, not very durable and have a cheap dark sound.

That's fine if you like them... perhaps when you get some experience under your belt you'll see, feel, and hear the difference. Until then STFU.
Point in hand:

Alder adds to the stiffness, and the complexity of the tones. It retains more of the highs that Basswood softens, but also gives some room to the lows. You have a broader spectrum of tones, which leads to the perception of a little less mids than Basswood.
^ Chazzy, your were calling someone else ignorant....? You have no life and your an asshole...

Comon now, its all personal preference.... I like alder in a stratfor clean bluesie stuff, but i prefer basswood in a fast guitar like the RG1570.... And no, the guitar hes looking at has HZ PICKUPS which are TRASH!

As for the competition between the 2, RG1570 hands down.... RG1570 has an EDGE PRO..... , better pickups.... HZ are sh!t... and a faster and more comfortable neck.......
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by ClassicAxe
^ Chazzy, your were calling someone else ignorant....? You have no life and your an asshole...

What's that have to do with being ignorant?

ig·no·rance Audio pronunciation of "ignorance" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gnr-ns)
n.

The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.

Nothing to do with being an asshole who plays guitar all day.