Page 1 of 7
Anyone else here a Steely Dan fan?

Whenever I hear something by them it turns into an obsession where I pull out their albums and listen to them again and again.

Their music is so perfect (because Walter Becker and Donal Fagen are such perfectionists like me ) - everything flows so well and sounds so good together.

My favorite album might be Pretzel Logic or Can't Buy A Thrill - I'm not sure. What I am sure of, though, is that Steely Dan is a great band and if you haven't listened to them before give them a try.
Awesome, another fan.

I really think that they don't recieve the credit they deserve. It might be because they aren't played as much on the radio and people aren't so exposed to them, but that's still not a valid excuse.

The lyrics written by Becker and Fagen are amazing reflections of life.

I thought it was funny on Reno 911 when Clementine left to follow Steely Dan and REO Speedwagon around during their tours, claiming they were to her what The Dead were to Deadheads.
my dad is a big fan, I never really got into them. I should listen to some more stuff.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I'll join the Steely Dan club. One of my favorite parts about them is the use of sax. My favorite track is My Old School. I just love that bari sax thumping along in there.
I used to have a steely dan tape that was damn good but is now MIA...

i find that they do alot of songs that people dont know is steely dan

Reelin in the Years is probably my favorite
Proud follower of Zeppelinism

PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Eat, drink and be merry,
for tomorrow we die.
yah steely dan are really good. can't buy a thrill is definatly my favorite album by them, cause they have some classic tracks on them. do it again and reelin' in the years for example
The Allman Brothers Band > Masturbation FanClub - PM me to join.

member of The Yes Club - PM Me or distilledspirit to join.

Grateful Dead Club - PM deadhead313313 to join.

Member of the Ten Years After Club - PM Me or VR05 to join.
The solos are great on a lot of tracks. I don't have too many recordings, though, I should look into getting some more.
Alright, some appreciation!!!

I have nearly every Steely Dan album, including an early vinyl:

One of my all time favorite bands.

Favorite album though....that is a really though one. I'd say The Royal Scam, Katy Lied, or Countdown to Ecstacy.

Good stuff
anyone knwo that they were named after a sex toy? true story.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
I really can't stand them. Their music ("Reelin' In The Years," "Do It Again," "Rikki Don't Lose That Number," etc.)is played all the time on the local radio station, and it just irritates me. Their sound is too jazzy/smooth sounding for me, I guess.
you know it steely dan's music is just so beautifull, they can be so laid back "Aja" or nice and Jazzy/bluezy "chain lightning" aswell as hard hiting "dont take me alive" i love them!
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by SW-14
I really can't stand them. Their music ("Reelin' In The Years," "Do It Again," "Rikki Don't Lose That Number," etc.)is played all the time on the local radio station, and it just irritates me. Their sound is too jazzy/smooth sounding for me, I guess.

Well, I can respect your opinion, but mine is obviously different than yours - while I really like the jazz/smooth sound, you obviously don't.

But, that's cool with me, since you aren't being a bitch about it.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
^^Yeah, Steely Dan was a 60s (or maybe 70s?) term for a dildo.

Actually it's named after a steam powered dildo in William Burroughs book Naked Lunch.
No joke.....from what I gathered:
In this book, two Steely Dans were in existence, BUT a certain hooker crushed one with her nether regions.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I JUST FOUND IT!

Jesus Christ Superstar! That looks painful
All aboard...
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

<//////>~
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
^^Lol. I would love to see one of these in real life.

Maybe I could buy a dildo and find a way to strap it onto one of my Lionel trains.

And have a girl ride it around the room....good clean fun...
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6

<//////>~
good times
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6

<//////>~
Well, come on, its pure logic--"Dildo...steam driven engine...ultimate driving force!!" "Genius!"
Just wait for the rocket-powered dildo
hitting shelfs next fall
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6

<//////>~
Gah, I love Steely Dan.

FM is such a good song.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
^^Definetly. They aren't like, free-form type jazz - that'd be "too loose" for them (they're very structured), but they've definetly got a lot of jazz influences and sounds in their music.
Steely Dan is fantastic. They're so unique musically. Every time I try to explain it I never can find the right words. Jazz-rock doesn't really get the idea across, nothing really can. Some of the most relaxing music ever except Van Morrison and Bob Marley.
My parents are seeing him this summer...but I have never listened to him....