Page 2 of 7
I just heard that song Bodhisattva, and it freaking kills. They're amazing. I really like the song Reelin In the Years. The lead playing on there is so inuitive and so incredible. Discuss some guys?
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Good to see you've revised the thread.

I recently listened to the album Pretzel Logic for the first time in a while. I love how Steely Dan can mix their Jazz roots and make their songs so Poppy.
Well, inbetween last time I posted and this time (I managed to get an album out called Houses of the Holy)...nah seriously, I've obtained a bunch of Steely Dan albums, and I like their stuff a lot.

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I like the SRTS reference BD

What do you think of the song Bodhisattva guys? The guitar/keyboard/whole ****ing thing rocks and is absolutely mindblowing.

And I had to bring this thread back because they rock so hard. They're truely an amazing band. I was (saddened by this action) in the car with my dad the other night falling asleep while listening to em. I was pissed because I wanted to hear em, but I was wiped out from a karate lesson that I had.

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I'm really tempted to call you one of these days.
do you have verizon?

If so, go ahead. It's free
Quote by Thefallofman
I really like Steely Dan now. I have their greatest hits set and I like "Reeling In The Years" a lot...Those guys are genius in terms of musicianship.
LOL
Quote by DownInAHole.
I really like Steely Dan now. I have their greatest hits set and I like "Reeling In The Years" a lot...Those guys are genius in terms of musicianship.

Shh, don't mention Greatest Hits albums in front of TheHeartbreaker...

Well, I've got two songs on a compilation album ('Reelin' In The Years' & 'Kid Charlemagne') and my father owns the album 'Two Against Nature', but I can't really get into them. To me, it seems too hard like they're trying to have a jazzy sound, but are far too structured to pull it off. Or something.

Well, either way, they're a talented band, I just can't seem to get into them for whatever reason.
Shh, don't mention Greatest Hits albums in front of TheHeartbreaker...

You didn't hear me say anything. But, when I'm new to a band, I start with the greatest hits and if I like what I hear, I'll buy everything else. But it doesn't matter cause it was given to me anyway
LOL
They're not really trying to be jazz I don't think. From what I've heard, they're just playing amazing rock and roll with some heavy jazz influence. That Bodhisattva song is one of the most rockin' songs I've ever heard. But I haven't listened to enough of their music to say that that's what they are.

Quote by Page&HammettFan
They're not really trying to be jazz I don't think. From what I've heard, they're just playing amazing rock and roll with some heavy jazz influence. That Bodhisattva song is one of the most rockin' songs I've ever heard. But I haven't listened to enough of their music to say that that's what they are.

Yeah, probably. I can't really say exactly what it is, because I don't know, but there's just something about them that I can't get into.
I'm not a raving fan, but I do enjoy some of their works They're undeniably incredible, whether you like em or not.

I hope that they play Bodhisattva when we see them That would absolutely rock man. Can you imagine seeing that live? I can't... It would be the most incredible performance ever ever... Do they have any live albums out?

^^Alive in America is the only one I have, and yes, that song is on there.
Quote by Thefallofman
Sweet I might get that Depends on how much I like em in a few months. They'll probably play a bunch of their classic songs that were on there (or atleast.. I hope.). What's your favorite track by those guys?

^ My favourite track by Dan is probably any song off Aja. Damn I love that record.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Pretzel Logic is my least favourite album by far. I just don't dig it.

Two Against Nature and Aja are my favourites. Fantastic band.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Aja was a cool album, I enjoyed what I heard from it.

Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Deacon Blues.

Yep.
How can you guys not like Pretzel Logic? You should have been their when it came out it. It was a cool thing back then.

Quote by Kartman

Quote by Sloopy
Yep.
How can you guys not like Pretzel Logic? You should have been their when it came out it. It was a cool thing back then.

Maybe that's part of the reason I don't like it. It's just like the Pink Floyd album The Final Cut.

I really like the album but all of the adult Floyd fans I've talked to think the only good song is 'Get Your Filthy Hands off my Desert.' This is because they were alive when it came out and there was a war going on at the time.

I just think that Pretzel Logic is too poppy and it feels kind of forced to me.
Two Against Nature on the other hand, I think, came out really naturally because they don't need to sell records and they were just having fun when they made it.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Quote by walkinbazooka
I just think that Pretzel Logic is too poppy and it feels kind of forced to me.
Two Against Nature on the other hand, I think, came out really naturally because they don't need to sell records and they were just having fun when they made it.

That's true with any time period and any generation though... People start out (in hopefully all cases) just trying to have fun, not to make money.

Quote by Page&HammettFan
That's true with any time period and any generation though... People start out (in hopefully all cases) just trying to have fun, not to make money.

I guess so. That's the best way to write songs, I think. Just jamming and then penning it out on the staff.
Quote by shattamakar

Quote by walkinbazooka
I guess so. That's the best way to write songs, I think. Just jamming and then penning it out on the staff.

Isnt that true.
Its really beats the sole writer of the group taking all the credit and it forces the members that want to slack off a bit more kick their ass into gear.

Quote by Kartman

Quote by Sloopy
Isnt that true.
Its really beats the sole writer of the group taking all the credit and it forces the members that want to slack off a bit more kick their ass into gear.

Yeah. Like Opeth.

[/metal joke]
Quote by shattamakar

I'd love to go back and live in the '70s for different land mark time periods... It'd be so cool. Too bad there's no way to do that

Awesome I'll be seeing Rush in their early days, and Zeppelin, and Steely Dan, and Hendrix, and OMG this is gonna rock. I'll get to see Duane Allman!

A shame that he died when he did...

How good of a job do Steely Dan do of recreating their songs live? I'm sure they have outright jams, but would songs like Reelin In the Years and Turn That Heartbeat Over Again (I think that's the name....) sound like they did in the studio? Or would there be a bit of a void because of the lack of production?

One time when I was 15, on my karaoke machine, I lowered the lyric volume down on the Fez and I did a rap song over the music.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Not yet. Sloopy's time machine should be done soon enough.

My flux capacitor burnt out last week and I was stuck in 1955. I had to put my parents together and save my family. When I got back it was 2007 and I was sitting in an office on a PC on UG.

Sound familiar?

Quote by Kartman