Page 5 of 7
Back to the Dan....

What song do you think sums up the band?

For it's either Do It Again or Reelin In The Years.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
They have so many different sides to them. I personally like the song Turn That Heartbeat Over Again though from that album. It's a great song
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
I forgot about that one.

Quote by Kartman

How could you forget about that one?! That's one of the best tracks. I also like Dirty Work. Basically the whole album is mindblowing though. I was listening to it last night before bed and fell asleep though while listening That's my thing, music before sleep because it helps relax... Weird? Maybe, but it works

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
^ Haha maybe its because I'm old :P Yeah listening to music before/while you sleep relaxs you and I tend to have less nightmares when I do so.

Quote by Kartman

My brother bitched me out because he woke up at like a quarter till 5 and heard that. My response was this:

"(Laughs at borther) And what is the problem with that? "

^ Nice.

Quote by Kartman

Anybody got the chords to Janie runaway ??? Couldn't find anything but lyrics...anywhere...
Quote by Sloopy
Back to the Dan....

Definitely Reelin In The Years. I love that song. Amazing.
The.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN

My guitar teacher is always going about how amazing that song is, but I personally don't see whats so good about it
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by johnny_tapia
My guitar teacher is always going about how amazing that song is, but I personally don't see whats so good about it

It has possibly the catchiest chorus ever. Never mind in just Classic Rock, ever. Also, it has a verse vocal line that is so stagnant, yet, so complete.

The solo is good, too.
The.
Wow. This one was dormant for a while, eh?

Quote by Sloopy
Back to the Dan....

it-does-not-compute_it-does-not-compute_it-does-not-compute_core-melt-down_zzzzzt!

Favorites are one thing, but "sums up the band" just doesn't happen for Steely Dan.

Reelin' in the Years is a great song, and a commercial success, but it's very much a departure from their body of work.

Do it Again comes much closer. It somewhat typifies the style used in quite a few tunes.

But were someone to hear Peg, or AJA for the first time, and then Do it Again, it would be a hard task indeed to convince them those Do it Again was from the same band.

My favorite? Hard to pick one, but I'd probably go with Josie. None of my friends seem to get it, but that one really knocks me out. Up-funk, downbeat rock, anticipation and open spaces, it's all there and then some. Lots of moods represented in a very short time. Josie musta been one badass, complicated bitch.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
A few guys were talking about Steely Dan and it turns out I had never heard of them till now.

Anyways just listened to Aja on youtube, and I like the song a lot.
Any other good vids or songs I can look up?
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
What a coincidence that my thread of Steely Dan gets revived the same day I decide to listen to Pretzel Logic on the way to school.

zeppelinpage4, I recommend purchasing some of their albums. For a first-time listener I'd go with Can't Buy A Thrill.

And I agree that Josie is a great song, SomeoneYouKnew, though my favorite Steely Dan song, at the moment, is Kings.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Yeah, it's a big radio-friendly hit, but I absolutely freaking love that song. I love the lead guitar parts and the verse melodies. Great stuff.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Anybody know if these Donald Fagen Steely Dan shows are any good?

Quote by Kartman

Quote by BrainDamage
Yeah, it's a big radio-friendly hit, but I absolutely freaking love that song. I love the lead guitar parts and the verse melodies. Great stuff.

Probally my favorite guitar song of all time (and Jimmy Page's). Did I mention I've talked to Elliott Randall online?
^^yes, you did actually (well, atleast you told me). Cool stuff.
Quote by Thefallofman
Yeah, it was awesome. He's one of the most underrated guitarists of all time, in my opinon. That song is beautiful.
What's the guy's name again that played guitar on Kid Charlemagne?

Quote by Kartman

Which album was that on? Aja? If so, it may have been Larry Carlton. He was with them for that album, but they had a lot of people on that album as guests, so it's hard to say.

I don't care if Reelin' In the Years is a bigass radio hit, there's a reason why it's so. It's a ****ing awesome song.

^^it was Larry Carlton, but the album was The Royal Scam.
Quote by Thefallofman
Ah. That's why I didn't know which album it was.. I don't own that one yet

Thanks, it was bugging me. Larry Carlton has some jazz albums I remember hearing somewhere. Good stuff.

Quote by Kartman

Get the live album "Last Nite" You'll be equally as amazed listening to that as any shred album...

^ But I don't listen to shred...
Thanks Page I will.

Quote by Kartman

Quote by BrainDamage

My favorite part of the song is probably the melody sequence from 1:58 until 2:20; the bridge just prior to the second solo.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
My favorite part of the song is probably the melody sequence from 1:58 until 2:20; the bridge just prior to the second solo.

I love that part. It's actually kind of difficult to play that part... Well, it is for me. Whenever I play it I usually won't distort it to be sure that everything is as clean as possible when I play that lick. That has got to be the hardest part of the entire song...

Woah, no one mentioned Gaucho as one of his favorite albums? I only listened to this album and I think it's ****ing great. So are the rest actually better (opinion-wise of course)? Damn...
Edit: Wrong thread post Deleted.

I haven't heard Gaucho, though.

Last edited by Page&HammettFan at Sep 9, 2007,
^ You do realise you just posted a Rush comment in the Steely Dan thread .

Quote by Kartman

^
Oops. I'll delete that...

I'm tripping right now, listening to Steely Dan.

Git's like I'm not even a UGer.
I'm ZXappp.

I feel on top of Walter Becker.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
^
What?

Quote by Page&HammettFan
^
What?

Wow I was fucked up. Sorry about that post. I was listening to Steely Dan whilst tripping.lol
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

It's no problem. That was pretty funny

Quote by Page&HammettFan
I love that part. It's actually kind of difficult to play that part... Well, it is for me. Whenever I play it I usually won't distort it to be sure that everything is as clean as possible when I play that lick. That has got to be the hardest part of the entire song...

I actually haven't learned Reelin' in the Years, but simply based upon listening to the song, one is able to assume that that would be the hardest part to play.

Whether or not I can play it, of course, is unknown at the moment, since I haven't bothered to learn the song.
Quote by Page&HammettFan
It's no problem. That was pretty funny

Haha, I don't even remember what I was thinking at that moment. But it made sense at the time.

On topic, Two Against Nature is quite good.
Quote by shattamakar

Keith Carlock is so ****ing awesome. Love his drum solos.
Member of the 'Dr.Cox is my Mentor' group

Quote by Miggy01
I was kicking a balloon around, and kicked the back of my other foot.
I broke my toe as a result.