What is the craziest mod (modification) you have ever done on your bass? This can be anything from using weird strings, or to completely gutting your electronics and plopping in new ones. How long did it take, and how much money did you spend doing it?
i put strap locks onto it. lmao. i barely mod my basses, too much money
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
haha, new seymour duncan pickups in mine, crazy i know.
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
I had tung oil put on the fingerboard of my fretless once, although I've been thinking of turning
my brothers guitar into a piccolo bass...
Mods are great, doind mods without cash isnt
Which is my problem. Er arguably my biggest mod will be to turn one of my old westone basses into a fretless (summer holidays soon loadsa time then). Changing bridges aint a biggy in my book. I'm also sanding the neck on one of me ibanez basses to remove the paint off it. Pickups and stuff is kind of basic. But in all fairness a bass is wood and metal.

I have seen effects boxes modded into guitars etc, but nuthin over the top with basses. Think its to do with the fact guitarists have major egos whereas we just concentrate on whats important, lol.

The only other thing that springs to mind relativerly close to this is making a bass, i done that and it is fun.

IN all honesty though if u want something doing to your bass i'm sure its possible to do it. So the sky is pretty much the limit where mods are concerned.
Put a sticker on it?
Co-Founder of the 'Heretics And/Or Killers' (Protest the Hero Fan Club) P.M Me or guitar_man_guy to join!

Member Number Three Of The:
"...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join!
On a bass I have in my garage I am in the process of: repainting it, sanding the neck down, slightly changed the shape of the head stock, new pickguard and pickups and have scalloping the frets.
Current playing with:
Cort x-6 -->Laney HCM65R

On Zakk Wylde's guitar.
Quote by anaoshak
look at all those knobs, he must have a mean tone.

Quote by Joey Walker
Bottle caps buddy, they are bottle caps
Put an Aggie ODB-3 into my Squire. The cavity was full of dust and took about an hour to clean up.

It wasn't too "crazy".

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Routed a jazz pickup for the bridge of my old P-Bass and wired it in.

Currently have an Epiphone Thunderbird and love the bodyshape, awesome basses. My plan is that when i eventually upgrade to a Gibson Thunderbird i'm gonna do all the mods to make the Epi T-bird a BEAD bass so make the nut gaps bigger and change the intonations etc.

I'm more into modding guitars theres much more you can do.
I'm considering adding a humbucker to my OLP Stingray 5 copy. I might even rip the active EQ out of my Dean Edge Q6 and put it into that one. After that I'd cut a new nut for it and finall have my tenor bass.
I wanted a better bridge for my MIM Fender Jazz, and I wanted a Badass. While the badass II is made for Fenders, I thought it would be truely badass to drill holes in my bass to put on the 3-hole original badass. It works flawlessly, and nobody else has it on their Fender. I done good.
i made my fretted tradition b-100 into a frettless. it took me about 5 days. i heated up the fretts and chiselled them out with a sculpting chisel. then i filled the fingerboard crevises with a wood filler from the store, and dropped it at my teacher's house. he sanded it and laquered it a couple times, then let it dry and dropped it back. i spent about 2 days oiling it to get the whole board nice and moist again. put some flatwounds on put on a conklin bridge. and of course, i put dice on the knobs.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Added a new bridge, straplocks, a neck pickup cover, and sanded the neck on my Jazz bass.

Defretted my p-bass.
haha
I made my friend an adapter so he could use a saxaphone strap on his bass. I also rewired his pickups in series.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Defretted my Squier MB4 bass, also sanded it down to wood colour (including headstock). This took me 3 days. Now I'm replacing the stock bridge with a gold BadassII bridge. Next on the list are new tuners, and then new pu's. This will be one fine bass after it's done...
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
I'd really like to mod my old Washburn. Can anyone suggest a good place to buy bits and bobs from? bridge, tuners etc... online obviously, oh and in the UK too..
thanks a lot
Defretting and soon to sand down the paint and stain the natural finish on my first bass, the Slammer. What a piece it is. Short scale=gross. When i get the money i want to put a semour duncan 1/4lb. P-pickup in my new Fender Active Special P-Bass. No more Spector for this guy.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I had a jazz pickup put in. Routing and all. I later took it out and couldn't get it back in. I actually prefer my tone without it. An AC/DC sticker now covers the hole.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
Quote by Applehead
I'd really like to mod my old Washburn. Can anyone suggest a good place to buy bits and bobs from? bridge, tuners etc... online obviously, oh and in the UK too..
thanks a lot

warmoth.com? i know they let you build a custom, but im pretty certain that they sell individual parts.

also, i found my dice, bridge, and tuning machines on ebay. really good prices because a lot of people wholesale musical equipment like that. and i know there is an ebay.uk
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
^ Cheers man, will have a look. Dont wanna order from the States as HR Customs will spank me on the import duty..

I've seen some really nice black Schaller tuners that i simply must have
Nice site man! cheers.. I';ve decided to mod my Washburn. Will get a couple of bits each month. Is there anything i should worry about as it's an active bass? obviously i will read up, but be good to have some advance warning as i am totally new to modding. well, apart my strap

Also, slightly off topic but the thread has gone where my strap attaches so the screw has come out. I put it back in with No More Nails but it went again last night in practice. Can anyone advise me on how to fix this? thanks a lot
^find the size of screw, and get one slightly larger (a few mil). make sure the head of the screw isnt too big though
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by hatebreed219
No more Spector for this guy.

now now, you don't mean that do you?

Tonight: modding night... Going back to my dorm since I have an exam tomorrow and to relax before I take my Physics exam about electronics, I'll be putting my BadassII bridge on my Squier...
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

cheers Indie, i thought about that but didnt want to put a crack in my bass. I've heard matchsticks down the hole with wood glue, let that dry and then screw back in, but sounds like it might split the wood if the thread is too narrow.. I could just fit some straplocks i suppose?
Actually, the way shops do this is putting in some wood-glue and then some toothpicks...
Let it dry overnight, get rid of the excess wood and then screw it back in... You can also try this without the glue, but it will loosen up after a while again... With the glue it holds longer, but eventually you'll have to redo it again. And you won't split the wood... Basses are made from solid wood that is much stronger than the toothpicks/matchsticks so these will crack/split/be compressed in a more compact area before the wood wil crack...
Quote by John Swift

I'm pretty sure it won't... I did this to my Spector myself with no damage... Even my Squier has this fix
Quote by John Swift