Vs.

Line6 HD147 + Marshall 1960a 412 + Shortboard
+ (Invalid img) +

Vs.

(Invalid img) + (Invalid img) +
Last edited by silver26 at Jun 8, 2006,
Quote by Gabel
Atomic. I heard the HD 147 is very much like a Spider II

I hope that is not true. I have a first-gen spider, and do not like it much at all.
Also teh Atomic has a tube power amp and you can change pre amp (to another modeler).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Also teh Atomic has a tube power amp and you can change pre amp (to another modeler).

The thing is, I have the floorboard for the POD, thats why I am thinking of an Atomic amp. But, the atomic is pretty expensive for such a small amp, so I could go ahead and spend a few extra bucks on a HD147.

Im just asking what you guys think sounds better.
^Havent tried either but PODs are very good and id say go for an Atomic. Its tube and if you always have a floorboard you can always sell one of them.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Played the HD147, can get some great tones. Sounds very much like the POD, like most Line6 products. It's really up to you though, do you need a halfstack, or would you prefer a combo? They're both very similar, although I'd image with a tube power section you'd get some warmness.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
^Well true and also a tube power section is more important than a pre amp section, so id say go for the atomic.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by JimiMan1535
Played the HD147, can get some great tones. Sounds very much like the POD, like most Line6 products. It's really up to you though, do you need a halfstack, or would you prefer a combo? They're both very similar, although I'd image with a tube power section you'd get some warmness.

I would rather a halfstack, although I dont need that kind of power right now. Maybe the logical choice is the Atomic, since I already have the floorboard.
Having played both (HD 147 and Atomic) and owning a Vetta / PODxt and Atomic 112

I'd say it depends on what you want to do with it. (of course pay guitar)

The Atomic has a lower wattage but sounds hughe and adds more warmth to your modeler. It's very loud for it's 18 Watts.

The HD147 is an amp made for the modern rock artist. and has plenty of very loud (that's the reason why it's called the HD147 (147 dB is what the human ear can bare)

If I may suggest you'd be better of with an PODxt in stead of a POD 2.0. PODxt can be filled with modelpacks (so you'll have everything the HD 147 has) and has more effects/amps etc.
Line 6 even made it possible to have some Bass models in there.

In the near future there's an 50 Watt Atomic coming...

If you don't play that loud and like warm tones, get the Atomic
If you play loud get the HD 147
IF you like both wait for the Atomic 50 Watt / PODxt

Hope it helps
Thanks for the info vettaville, Ive been on your website many times, and have found a lot of interesting info there.

I think the Atomic is a more logical choice for me when I look at size/price. But I may have a good deal on a 147, and didnt know whether I should opt for that or not.

People have been telling me to go with a PODxt instead of the original, but I already own a Line6 Floorboard. I dont really want to sell it because right now, it doesn't sell for as much as a shortboard!

If I see an XT + shortboard for cheap, I will go for it though. Ive been reading up on the extra features, and they sound great.

As for the 50watt Atomic Amp, a retailer told me that they may have them in 'a month or so' - I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Quote by Embryodead
i don't see why you would want to sell the Floorboard..isn't it compatible with the PodXT?

No it is not. Check out the compatibility chart from Line6.com. I have the first gen-floorboard, which doesn't work with the new stuff. I would have to buy a shortboard or a longboard.

I guess another option is an Atomic + a PODXT live. Which basically gives you a PODxt and a shortboard in one.
Last edited by silver26 at Jun 6, 2006,
Silver, Thanks for your nice comments about Vettaville.nl.

Yes true, your original floorboard won't be compatible with PODxt or HD 147. No need for the Longboard though it's just designed for the Vetta. If you want two pedal you can add a different one to the shortboard.

The compatibillitychart from Line 6 isn't up to date.
Here's a newer version (that needs to be revised aswell)
http://www.vettaville.nl//vvhowtofindFBV.htm

Hope it helps
Quote by vettaville.nl
Silver, Thanks for your nice comments about Vettaville.nl.

Yes true, your original floorboard won't be compatible with PODxt or HD 147. No need for the Longboard though it's just designed for the Vetta. If you want two pedal you can add a different one to the shortboard.

The compatibillitychart from Line 6 isn't up to date.
Here's a newer version (that needs to be revised aswell)
http://www.vettaville.nl//vvhowtofindFBV.htm

Hope it helps

Thanks for that vettaville!

So, if I was to get a PODxt... what would be the advantages of a PODxt + shortboard, vs a PODxt live?
Neither of those setups. If going the modelling route, I would choose a POD Xt Live, a tube power amp like a Carvin tube power amp, and a stereo cabinet.

And for the love of tone, if you get the Atomic, avoid the POD 2.0 and get a POD Xt at the very minimum. Don't cripple yourself with the POD 2.0.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Crunchmeister
Neither of those setups. If going the modelling route, I would choose a POD Xt Live, a tube power amp like a Carvin tube power amp, and a stereo cabinet.

Besides being in stereo, what's the advantage of that setup over the Atomic?

Quote by Crunchmeister
And for the love of tone, if you get the Atomic, avoid the POD 2.0 and get a POD Xt at the very minimum. Don't cripple yourself with the POD 2.0.

What is the big advantage of tone for the XT versus the 2.0 for tone?
Well, it gives you diversity. You can get a 2 x 12 or 4 x 12 cab of any make or model you want. Same for the power amp. You can mix and match components to fit your taste or budget.

As for the tone, the POD XT's models sounds a lot less digital and more natural. The effect models are also a lot better than the 2.0's models. Plus there's the option to download new amp models, USM recording, etc. It's a much better unit all around.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Quote by silver26
Thanks for that vettaville!

So, if I was to get a PODxt... what would be the advantages of a PODxt + shortboard, vs a PODxt live?

I'd would buy the XT Live, an all in one unit with a VDI (variax Digital Inetrface) included. Maybe you'll never want one, but if you're going that route it's a great addition.

PODxt Live also has a MP3 insert that could come in handy sometimes.

Ifyou can compare the units, do it, use your ears
Quote by vettaville.nl
I'd would buy the XT Live, an all in one unit with a VDI (variax Digital Inetrface) included. Maybe you'll never want one, but if you're going that route it's a great addition.

PODxt Live also has a MP3 insert that could come in handy sometimes.

Ifyou can compare the units, do it, use your ears

The Variax and mp3 stuff isn't really a big deal to me, but the XT Live looks to have everything that the PODxt + shortboard has, and its much cheaper. Am I missing something ?
Last edited by silver26 at Jun 6, 2006,
Quote by silver26
...the XT Live looks to have everything that the PODxt + shortboard has, and its much cheaper. Am I missing something ?

You're not missing anything. At the very least, it's less expensive, so worthwhile IMO. You can get the XTL for the proce of a POD 2.0 and a shortboard. That right there clinches it.

Quote by Crunchmeister
You're not missing anything. At the very least, it's less expensive, so worthwhile IMO. You can get the XTL for the proce of a POD 2.0 and a shortboard. That right there clinches it.

Well, I already have the floorboard for the POD 2.0 ... thats the whole problem. Is it worth selling to buy an XT, because Im losing money buy selling it.
Heres the situation as it stands now, with approximate costs ($ canadian) that I can get them for:

Atomic 112 ($500) + POD 2.0 ($200) + Floorboard = $700

Atomic 112 ($500) + PODxt Live ($550) = $1050

HD147 ($800) + Shortboard ($200) + Marshall 1960a ($800) = $1800
Another idea came up ... has anyone tried a POD ran thru a Powerblock then to a cab?

I hear that the Powerblocks are good as a poweramp for modellers