I have been playing for a little over a year and im ok at actually playing but im kinda stuck in a rut but before i try to move onto new things i want to make sure i have my basics down right like playing style and griping the guitar things like that and a book with some drills in it. Does anyone know of a good book like that.
why do that?
if you are playing solidly and consistantly, it doesn't matter if you are playing "right" or not. do what is comfortable and what sounds good
"Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a just man is in prison"
~Henry David Thoreau
Quote by clockworkorange
why do that?
if you are playing solidly and consistantly, it doesn't matter if you are playing "right" or not. do what is comfortable and what sounds good

Beep. Wrong answer. Have fun being mediocre.

As for the actual question at hand, I'll just wait for the more experienced people to give some recommendations (I'm looking at you, edg). One I can already recommend to you though: The Principles Of Correct Practice For Guitar by Jamey Andreas.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by clockworkorange
why do that?

Ummm...not really...if your technique totally sucks, but it's comfortable, even though it's comfortable, you probably aren't getting the most out of your playing

Anyways....I would recommend getting Berklee Modern Method for Guitar Vol. 1 first. There are a TON of excersizes in there and if you don't know how to read music, you definately should get it. If you think you're too good for Vol. 1 though, go for Vol. 2. It doesn't matter how long you've been playing or how good you think you are, books are very good practice, I would recommend going through at least a couple of excersizes every day, rather than playing a Van Halen solo over and over.(Not that that's what you do, but it's just a comparison...whatever..you get the point)
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

get speed mechanics for lead guitar by troy somthing (sorry cant remeber his name)

that book is my bible