Hey guys...

I'm in a spot of bother with my new-ish Telecaster... I got it a few months ago, and it's far from perfect.

It's a MIM Telecaster, with a SD Hot Rails in the bridge. I bought it new...

The problem is this... The body sounds nice and has a nice tone, but the neck, as far as I can tell, is buggered, to use the technical term...

When I first bought it I was dubious about the tone of the neck. Over the last couple of months I've been getting more and more fret buzz, to the point where I can't actually play the damn thing without breaking down.

I took it to my local guitar shop (where the guys are lazy at the best of times) and each time they've said they've done the best they could, but I've hardly noticed a difference.

I've had it professionally set up.
I've had the pickup lowered pretty much as far as it will go.
I've adjusted the action all the live-long day.
I've used lower gauge strings.

And still nothing.

Any suggestions?

Do I have a dud neck/bad factory quality neck?

If it's a dud neck, should I buy a new one or just try and get a refund on the guitar/sell it and look for a new guitar?

Cheers guys.
Hmm, you could either get someone to adjust the truss rod or raise the action of the guitar.
If that's already been done etc, take it back.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
lower gauge strings will have more buzzing. I read one article before, thats what they said, i cant believe too, but it might be true.

Also, if you had adjusted yr truss rod, action and so on and it still buzz, perhaps its the frets
Try anything...Just simple things, like those mentioned by that guy, could cause it. If nothing works, a new neck might be in order... But really the folks in a guitar shop should be able to help. The guys in my local guitar shop are nice, and always try to help with anything, and they also know a lot. Try asking people in other guitar shops. Not telling them to fix it, just ask them what might be wrong. It could also be the tuning pegs, that can create a buzz...Thats a very unlikely one though.
Sure thing. I'm gonna take it back and ask them about it, I was just wondering what anyone here thought.
take it back, whine, and say you won't leave until they've fixed it and if they can't that they should find someone who will and in the meantime they should give you a replacement.

do it politely though and in a sort of semi-desperation/make them feel sorry for you sort of way.
Are you sure the nut is alright? maybe the strings have worn down it a bit and its buzzing because of that.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
buy a new neck an then beat the guys at the store for being assholes with the old one, i bet there the same people that think there the best in the world an hate people that are bad even if there just starting kinda asswads
some stores are really bad, i know one near me where the guys couldn't care less. i bought a les paul from them and took it back 6 months later for a 'free check and set up' and the lazy bastards kept it for a week and never even took it out of the case.

since then i have found a shop where the techs are dedicated and efficient, you just need to look around, try and get recommendations from other players.

what gauge strings do you currently have? light strings will be worse for fret buzz as they will be slacker.

don't go changing the neck, find a good tech first.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Ok sure thing... Well I usually play with Ernie Ball Heavy Bottoms... the guy in the store said because they're heavy gauge that pulls the neck which causes buzz... But when I put Super Slinkies on it buzzed worse...
Quote by jimmy_fowler
Ok sure thing... Well I usually play with Ernie Ball Heavy Bottoms... the guy in the store said because they're heavy gauge that pulls the neck which causes buzz... But when I put Super Slinkies on it buzzed worse...

ok, heavy gauge strings will pull the neck forward which could result in buzz but in that case the truss rod would need tightening to counteract the extra pull on the neck. you should be able to put any gauge of strings on without fret buzz by resetting the truss rod and/or bridge height. i'm not suggesting that this is easy, it's a skilled job best left to an expert.

in general, lighter strings are slacker than heavy gauge, and could therefore be more likely to buzz all other things being equal.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix