I have a NOS (new old stock) Strat body made of Alder and it doesn't have the 4 holes in the neck pocket to take a Fender neck and the hole that goes from the pots cavity to the jack plate.

What is the most elegant/efficient way to drill the 4 holes in the neck pocket so it matches perfectly with the existing holes in the neck?

What is the best way to drill the hole between the pots cavity to where you run the wires to the jack plate? I just have the basic tools, a regular drill and some bits.

For the 4 holes in the neck pocket, I was thinking of putting some chalk in the neck's 4 holes, fit the body on top of it, reverse it, and have the chalk make the marks on the neck pocket. Any easier/more elegant way?

Thanks.
For the hole from the two cavities, just drill the hole with a hand drill and a long bit. Make sure you start from the control cavity.

For the neck, what I would do is screw the screws into the neck holes, and take something like paint, and then just set the screws on the neck pocket. Like you are trying to put the neck in place, but the scres are in the way.
Will Minus: Tried that but it still needs eyeballing. I'm shooting for precision.

kaplac: It's easy to drill new holes but wasn't too thrilled with the idea. Precision and all that ...

Thanks for your responses gents!

I'm still open to suggestions because I'm still prepping the body, as in sanding and sealing. I know somebody here has faced the same challenge. Thanks.
make 4 metal "pins" the same diameter as the holes in the neck, which protrudes only 1/8" from the holes.

These could be a screw, which you've cut the head off (obviously small enough to slide in easily, not fall in, or have to be screwed in), or you could sacrifice a drill bit (they are cheap enough) by cutting it down (take off the shaft end, not the pointy end).

Insert the neck, and press in firmly.

Drill the holes using the newly created marks as guides.

You need a long drill bit to get from the control cavity to the jack cavity. You could do it with a standard length bit, if you're lucky.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Quote by ormsby guitars
make 4 metal "pins" the same diameter as the holes in the neck, which protrudes only 1/8" from the holes.

These could be a screw, which you've cut the head off (obviously small enough to slide in easily, not fall in, or have to be screwed in), or you could sacrifice a drill bit (they are cheap enough) by cutting it down (take off the shaft end, not the pointy end).

Insert the neck, and press in firmly.

Drill the holes using the newly created marks as guides.

You need a long drill bit to get from the control cavity to the jack cavity. You could do it with a standard length bit, if you're lucky.

D'oh! As simple as that? And to think Will Minus actually posted a great start and I still managed not to follow-up on his thinking.

Schecter-06:

Thanks a bunch gents. ormsby, the Master, has shown the way and it looks ridiculously easy.

EDIT: spelling

kthnxbye
Last edited by Ippon at Jun 6, 2006,