hello, is it possible that its harder to get a pinch harmonic out of certain guitars? I got an vintage fender mustang and I turn gain on full, or put my distortion pedal on and try to pinch, found one place that I sometimes can get a pinch from but even when I mess around with my pickups I cant get anymore out of it, only this place just betwen the neck and neck pickup. And as said I find it hard to get a pinch harmoniv even from there sometimes... could it depend on my guitar in some strange way?
Yes. It depends on pickups, sustain, scale length, etc. It's not too hard to do ph's on an acoustic, so although it sounds better on some, it's possible on all guitars.
Yeah and the lighter the strings/ the lower the action the easier it is to get a pinch harmonic
Yea, and thicker picks help too. ZZ top used a nickel to get their pinch harmonics. It may else depend where your thumb is at.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
keep trying everywhere on the string, there is a sweet spot for every guitar but they tend to be different for each guitar, i think it would be a great idea for a sticky on pinch harmonics in this forum......the amount of threads there are about pinched harmonics....
You can find the right spots trying to pick an artificial harmonic (the one you do on the 12th,7th,5th..etc) between the pickups. Where you pick an artificial harmonic, there's you can do a pinch harmonic.
Are you new to pinch harmonics? It seems really hard to find the right spot/technique when you first start out. If you're not new and have easily done them before on other guitars and can't get them out of this particular guitar, then chances are it's the guitar.
Pinched harmonics, check out zack wylde or dimebag darrell. There is more than a sweet spot on each guitar rather for each string. I always use my neck pickup loads of distortion. Hold the pick between the thumb and first finger. ya just need to sit and get really comfortable where ya need to pick each string. The G string for example is roughly above the middle of the neck pickup for me. Experimentation and practise. Its a bitch to get he hang of but you WILL do it eventually if you keep at it;
Quote by 6DOIT
Yeah and the lighter the strings/ the lower the action the easier it is to get a pinch harmonic

I couldn't disagree more. I think it's easier to get a PH out of the higher gauge strings, and I don't see how action has anything to do with it...

Bry
I think he means lighter guage as in less tension which does make it easier
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
Yeah, basically what all these guys said is right. I'd say if you don't wanna go changin pickups on all your guitars, just try experimenting with different picks. Worked wonders movin' up to super heavy dunlops for me.
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.
excuse my pathetic-ness. hangs head in shame. how do i even do a goddam pinched harmonic!? i can fluke the occasional one playing some trivium but not consistently. any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by guitarwylde03
I think he means lighter guage as in less tension which does make it easier

Easier to sound the pinch harmonic or easier to bend it once it's ringing? I don't see how string tension would make it easier or harder to do a pinch harmonic...

Quote by pontino
excuse my pathetic-ness. hangs head in shame. how do i even do a goddam pinched harmonic!? i can fluke the occasional one playing some trivium but not consistently. any tips would be greatly appreciated.

There are many lessons in these forums and on this site complete with videos.

Bry
All you basically gotta to is have ur thumb down on the pick and when u hit the string have ur thumb hit a split second after the pick. It should make a high pitched "scream" if you do it right.
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.
correct me if i'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but are there only certain spots on a string you can do pinch harmonics, similar to artifical harmonics?
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
thanks to all of you altough I already knew most of what you said.

only thing I wont do is to play with thicker pleks(?). I like Dunlop .71 and jazz III they are ****ing beautiful specially Jazz
No you can do pinchs anywhere. They are called false harmonics. See natural harmonics occur at the 12th fret, 7th, 5th 3rd etc. These places cause a harmonic, its to do with the way the string is divided up into equal parts. Google it if you are curious. False harmonics are called that because they can be done where there arent natural harmonics.
try selecting the tremelo pickup, and picking between the neck and middle pickup, thats what i do.
Quote by pinheadslts75
My right hand fell in love with my penis once. Then the right hand realized the penis slept with the left one too. Things are akward in the bedroom nowadays.
Quote by #1 nirvana fan
try selecting the tremelo pickup, and picking between the neck and middle pickup, thats what i do.

Do you mean the bridge pickup?
As for the location, there are "sweet spots" persay and they exist between the neck and the middle pickup, but there are many spots which give you different octaves of the note you're "pinching."

Bry
yeah, i meant bridge pickup, sorry for any confusion that might have caused
Quote by pinheadslts75
My right hand fell in love with my penis once. Then the right hand realized the penis slept with the left one too. Things are akward in the bedroom nowadays.
well well, thx all. just keep on trying until I get a new guitar... An Ibanez maybe...?

Should I ask you guys for a good model? or do it in another place?
This is my question on pinch harmonics. I have an ibanez rg 570, basswood body, maple neck with bubinga, rosewood fingerboard and Edge trem. The guitar came with a dimarzio tone zone in the bridge. The pinch harmonics worked well with that but the low end  was a little too flubby for me. 
I replaced the tone zone with a  duncan distortion. The pickup has great high output and tone, but it's much more difficult to get a wide variety of squealing pinch harmonics and when I do pinch harmonics they don't  and they revert back to the natural string . The pinch harmonics die out and don't  sustain. 
Is it the pickup, the basswood body, or? If you think it's the pickup, what other pickups would you recommend for zakk Wylde screamin pinch harmonics? I use them a lot. 
Also, my technique is good. 
I also have an ibanez rgt42fm with stock inf2 pickup in the bridge position. It's a rather low gain pickup and doesn't sound nearly as good as the duncan distortion  but I can get screamin harmonics all day long. 
I have a problem with the rgt because the trem system isn't very good and doesn't stay in tune. That's why I switched to the rg550 with the edge trem system. 
Back to the problem with my rg550 and problem with pinch harmonics. Is it the pickup, guitar or ? 
Please let me know your thoughts and ideas. 
If you have a question, make a new thread in the Guitar Techniques section rather than bumping an ancient one.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.