So i thought i had the world in my hands when i bought my laney vh100r amp and had my matching mesa 212 recto cabinent. But ive come across a slight problem...its just WAY to loud. Dont get me wrong, it does some great stuff when its cranked, but 100 watts of tube causes many headaches and i just dont think its worth it. the other problem comes in the fact that either way, the amp doesnt deliever quite waht im after....ie that crushing -core and metal sound. its very good for heavy rock or blues, and amazing cleans, but i dont know. im just tired of killing my hearing

the icing on the cake is that im moving out soon and not something even quieter for that reason alone (apartments ). oh yeah, an attenuator is out as what they generally do right is lower a loud amp to jam/stage volumes..not bedroom practice, ive heard AND witnessed this enough to know better.

so heres the thing, im doing the unthinkable and im going to sell my laney and look into something new. im considering a roland cube 60, since i can still run it to a cab to play with the band. I WILL be trying it out at the music store, but i was wondering if anyone else made this forbidden jump back to solid state and etc etc...i even thought of a POD but than id need a power amp etc etc and id rather not get into that.

i kind of lead to question the whole theory of tubes and solid state as ive fond my cousins crate glx65 sounds better than my laney and mesa when it comes to heavy riffing and etc. thoughts?

id totally go for a powerball or recto or something, but the moneys a concern and still...the volume?

any tips thougths etc, id love to hear....(btw i konw ill have a surplus should i make that swap but i paln on saving that money for down the road or for an ebmmjp )

thanks anyone!
Why don't you just keep the Laney for gigs and buy a new amp for practice, something like the ZVex Nano?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
in all seriousness that was the original plan, but until the laney hits that "sweet spot", the drummer is drowned out...literally...i can only hear the crash over it at best.

sad but true.....its def a stadium/LARGE arena amp if you ask me.....not a local bar and fire company amp even for gigs. a large arena needs a PA anyway...so i dont see the point. id just like to get away from the whole overkill type of thing

it makes me wonder why anyone would ever buy a dual recto let alone a triple? lol
maybe you should pick up one of those epi triggerman things, the little ones for like a 100 bucks
They make attenuators for people like you. It will solve all your problems.
Just sell the Laney and pick up the Zvex Nano for home and then a <50 watt tube amp for gigging .

And people buy Triple Rectifiers because they don't know what they are doing.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
he, i'd keep the cab, and go for maybe a valvebee head? those are supposed to be good. a screamer head/combo would be good as well if you sell the laney. (you'd get about $800) for it. then a used screamer and footswitch would be about a grand).
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
If you drown out the drummer, turn down a little. Consider getting a really good ss head. Maybe a Randall warhead or cyclone, considering you like crate tone you would really like these. The other guiatist in my band has 300 watt randall cyclone head, and you can get every sound imaginable out of it, considering it has a 9 band eq. And it can be turned down to a reaonable volume. I've never heard of a hundred watt head drowning out a drummer. Maybe your drummer should play louder?!!
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
well im getting a dual rec, but im DEFINITLY keeping it on the half power button lol, and gettign a hot plate. i can play failry louad at home, but still, its gunan have to be at colume .2 lol
Quote by guitarwylde03
I've never heard of a hundred watt head drowning out a drummer. Maybe your drummer should play louder?!!

Maybe not a SS, but don't tubes sound louder than SS?

Anyway, I thought they made attenuators for bedroom levels?

From the THD site
''Our customers use attenuators because their amps sound good at high volumes, especially with full distortion, but in rehearsal, small clubs, or at home, they can't turn the amp up.''

That's in reference specifically to the hotplate though.

BTW those zvex look pretty ..er.. interesting.

Edit: and you might want to look into Weber attenuators.. Minimass specifically. Those aren't limited to one ohm setting and are much cheaper. They simply aren't as colorful (might be more of a pro than a con) and IMO they don't look as nice.. and THD has deep and bright switches which are cool. And one of the mods around here has a minimass.. uh.. that would be.. That_Pink_Queen .

Uh.. edit: Pink Queen was only testing a minimass. Sorry, read/remembered incorrectly
Quote by Mascot
Calm down.

I'm not saying it again.
Last edited by Sc0urge at Jun 5, 2006,