in the high school that i'm goin to they have music theory as a class
would it help me as a musician? is it hard? or should i not do it
please help
if u feel u want to really master the guitar than go for it
in my opinion to call yourself a musician you should at least know some theory
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
This what you get when you mess with us.
musical theory is basically knowwing which notes go together to make different types of sound. It's pretty much essential for advanced guitaring
If you are at all serious about guitar you're going to be learning it anyway (passively as well as actively) so you might as well learn theory.

I will give you a word of caution: once you start getting to be good with theory (that is, if you do), you might start to hate some of the bands you previously liked because they're "theoretically" bad.
yes. not taking musical theory would be one of the worst descisions as a musician you could ever make
no plx
anyone who plays an instrument should know theory or else you don't know what the **** you're doing! How can you write a song if you don't know what chords/notes are in a particular key? TAKE MUSIC THEORY!
Quote by pratt121
I will give you a word of caution: once you start getting to be good with theory (that is, if you do), you might start to hate some of the bands you previously liked because they're "theoretically" bad.

Hasn't happened to me yet. I might find it annoying to figure out their songs, but what sounds good to me is what I listen to.

If you have music theory as a class, take it. I'm sure its better than the other crap electives that are offered. It's not going to hurt you as a musician, the only thing it can do is help as long as you keep an open mind.
I took AP Music theory this year.

I will tell you this, you will drop out/flunk if you can not already fluently sightread both clefs. The theory class makes no direct correlation to guitar. I took it and applied it to my trombone/piano knowledge, then sorta transfered it to guitar. Basically, this class is not for the tab reading guitarist. The AP Exam was the hardest test I've ever taken, ever. You have to SIGHT SING, which is looking at manuscript for 30 seconds, with no given sound, and sing into a voice recorder what is there, correct key and all. You have to know how to write 4 part voice harmonies, progressions, and know all your cadences front and back. Not to mention be extremely good at listening for things. You have to listen to a melody, then write it out. You have to listen to a few bars of a string quartet, and write out the rest when the first chord is given. Yeah, it's tough. But it made me a better musician.

(I get my exam back later this week, I hope to God I passed)
True, but you took AP Theory. I took a normal theory course at my school and it would not have taken too long for even a tab-reading guitarist to get the basics down.

Curse you, North Smithfield, for not offering AP...
Quote by pratt121
If you are at all serious about guitar you're going to be learning it anyway (passively as well as actively) so you might as well learn theory.

...Why? What sounds good sounds good, what the **** does it matter how technical it is.

Anyway, I highly recommend learning all the music theory you can.

It's the matter when you are composing, and knowing how to make things sound good. Jam. Solo. Improv. And you can wow your friend with your knowledge of Secondary Dominants and French Augmented 7th chords!
YES..definately take music theory. I just finished my freshman year at an arts academy. At first, I knew NOTHING. Now, I must say, I'm pretty good at theory, and it's made me ten times better at guitar.

So, yeah, go for it
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

It will work as hard as you do.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
you can't go wrong w/ music theory, it will help immensely in composition (how many times have you ever thought, "i like these couple of chords but what else i can i do to expand it?" or the always maddening..... "i hear the chord/progression/note in my head now i just gotta figure out what note it is") also can work wonders with improv
Quote by uberguitar
yes. not taking musical theory would be one of the worst descisions as a musician you could ever make

Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Quote by coffeeguy9
I took AP Music theory this year.

I will tell you this, you will drop out/flunk if you can not already fluently sightread both clefs. The theory class makes no direct correlation to guitar. I took it and applied it to my trombone/piano knowledge, then sorta transfered it to guitar. Basically, this class is not for the tab reading guitarist. The AP Exam was the hardest test I've ever taken, ever. You have to SIGHT SING, which is looking at manuscript for 30 seconds, with no given sound, and sing into a voice recorder what is there, correct key and all. You have to know how to write 4 part voice harmonies, progressions, and know all your cadences front and back. Not to mention be extremely good at listening for things. You have to listen to a melody, then write it out. You have to listen to a few bars of a string quartet, and write out the rest when the first chord is given. Yeah, it's tough. But it made me a better musician.

(I get my exam back later this week, I hope to God I passed)

I'd be pissed off. Even If I had more music theory knowledge than any other person to ever exist, I would've failed that test simply due to my lack of singing skills.
I'd recommend taking as well. I was also very anxious as an incoming sophomore (last year) prior to taking the class, AP Music Theory, but looking back I'm grateful that I took it. It was an excellent experience to learn about how music functions. And, I got a 5 on the AP test! Though I must warn, as someone before, be familiar with reading both Bass and Treble Clefs (assuming that it is in fact AP that is offered at your school; even if it isn't, however, it will still be useful). Good luck, and I hope that you make the right decision!
Quote by doggy_hat
I'd be pissed off. Even If I had more music theory knowledge than any other person to ever exist, I would've failed that test simply due to my lack of singing skills.

it has nothing to do with your voice, though. with the practice from the class, the idea is to be able to sing the correct pitch. i got over singing in class very quickly from taking music classes.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me