I think i finally get scales or how to use a bit of it at least. Ok my singer made some lyrics with a guitar part I had already made and he asked me to made a solo. So I listened to the melody and I made a solo to the tune of the lyrics and it fit. In case you don't know what I am talking bout, its like the solo in Smells like Teen Spirit, it fits the lyrical melody. So my quesiton is... is this the right way to do stuff?

EDIT: oh I forget the reason I think i got it was that i follow the Major Pentonic scale to do this
Last edited by crazylaughboy at Jun 5, 2006,
Where does understanding scales come into play here?
Quote by las7
I had a past g/f that called me "bitch" while we had sex.
Any simular expirances UG users?
if it works for u guys go for it, theres no real right or wrong ways to write songs
keep blues alive
Most solos are a variation on a main riff or a vocal part - it's quite common. If it adds to the song and fits well then who can argue with that?
why would it be wrong?

i think you're either bored and want to make a forum, or are a noob, and want to say you finally accomplished something.
ok thanks. To Korn-nut: actually neither, I was having a lot of trouble writing solos. So it finally clicked and i wanted to see if this is the proper way to use scales. Also was that comment needed?
i suppose not... sorry. i was just trying to say that there is no wrong way to do stuff.
Lots of solos are also alterations of the vocal melody. I personally thinks it sounds quite nice when not overused.
That's ONE way to write a solo, imo, not the best way. I usually listen to the chords of the song and outline them in a melody that relates to the chords using the correct scales and their modes for each chord, also keeping in mind arpeggios, and passing tones.
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Quote by korn-nut
i think you're either bored and want to make a forum, or are a noob, and want to say you finally accomplished something.

Shut up. You're not helping.

Yes, it is very okay to use the lyrical melody to write solos. And, as for your question about using scales, I will often times use the scale for the key to write lyrical melodies, and also write solos based off the same scale I used to write the lyrical melody. Whatever you find scales useful for, use them!