im going to buy myself a new guitar soon, and i really like to play blues / jazz / rock ...
but most of all i like to play jazz and im thinking of attending a jazz school, altho i want something more versatyle then a typical jazz guitar and a diferent more brightier tone, first i was thinking of buying a strat because i really like the outcome in blues, but i dont think theyr as good for jazz, am i wrong? ive seen some really nice jazz players weilding a telecaster and its also really nice for blues and rock i really like the tone, but im having a really hard time deciding, my question is probably.. are strats any good to play jazz? is tele the way to go for my music preference? thx
get a semi-hollow body. great for jazz, blues, even most rock. they are the middle ground for full jazz guitars and solid body guitars.
but between strats and teles, is there a huge difference in the jazz ?
I have a Washburn jazzbox that I love. Strats would be more versatile than Teles when it comes to jazz. I can get a fairly nice jazz tone on my Strat through the neck pickup. What amp do you have and what is your price range?
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
I like ibanez artocores.. and to me that looks like a jazzy guitar. O and the epiphone dot studio is cool.. i like the plain all black one very sexy.
Most of the Jazz "heavies" I know play Gibson Les Pauls, (and I know alot, I know 80% of the local jazz circuit, and my guitar teacher is a professional jazz player, though he plays strats) I personally grab my Epi LP out when I want to jazz it up.

Also, on a strat. Position 2 is amazing for warm cleans.
check out a Fender jaguer, jazzmaster, or mustang.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Quote by TimmyPage06
Most of the Jazz "heavies" I know play Gibson Les Pauls, (and I know alot, I know 80% of the local jazz circuit, and my guitar teacher is a professional jazz player, though he plays strats) I personally grab my Epi LP out when I want to jazz it up.

Also, on a strat. Position 2 is amazing for warm cleans.

Wes Montgomery, George Benson, Django Rheinhart, Freddie Green, (I could go on forever) all used hollowbody jazzboxes. In fact, I can't think of a single taditional jazz artist who uses a LP (or any solidbody for that matter). Most jazz fusion players use solidbodies, if that's what you were thinking, but traditional jazz players prefer hollowbodies.

Your suggestion of a LP is fitting, however, for this persons needs (due to the rock and blues influences), so I agree with you there.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
well i dont have an amp yet ive been playing with an acoustic guitar for like 2 years now, but as an amp im probably gona get some sort of fender amp they seem cool for cleans, my budget is around 900?, id like a valves cheap amp (like 300-400?) i know u guys have that theory that i should spend more in the amp, but i want a guitar to last tbh, a friend of mine bought a washburn strat (really low model) and after a year it looks like garbage.. the wood is all ****ed up etc etc... tbh in 10 years i wanna be able to grab my 1st guitar and still enjoy playing it.. althou atm i wasnt thinking of a hollowbody, if i get more serious into jazz i might get one then, and for ibanez its really not my type (played some of my friend´s), i guess that ill just go to the store and try a few teles and strats and make up my mind , thx for the help so far ^^
A Fender Blues Jr or a used Hot Rod Deluxe for the amp?
Look around for some used Jap Strats+Teles, and some Mexi Strats/Teles etc.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
For jazz you cant really go wrong with semi/hollow bodies. But then again i dont think hollow bodies are very versatile. I would reccomend a semi e.g. ibanez artcore or one of the epi semi's.

Oh what i coincidence, im selling one Check sig..
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
^Smoooooooth

But a Sheraton would make an amazing Jazz guitar *hint hint*
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30